login

Author Topic: Who here Beta tested the Batman 1966 series on DVD/Blu-Ray?  (Read 465 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 46
When Warner Home Video announced that after decades of deadlock, a deal was finally struck with ABC/Disney, Greenway Productions and 20th Century Fox to release the 1966 Batman series on DVD and Blu-Ray, who here ran out and Beta tested the first release? Who here spent the $190 WHV was asking for the complete set, not knowing what flaws, mistakes, scenes cut for licensing issues or what else was wrong with it?

Those of you who did buy the set discovered the audio and video was compressed so it would fit on fewer discs. Lets just ignore that WHV was asking for nearly $200 for just three seasons, and for that money could have easily have released it on more discs. Also, that someone at WHV screwed up and edited out scenes from the shows. Mostly the endings of season 3 episodes where the villain for next weeks episodes shows up, but in one episode the entire final segment was removed. And that there was also evidence of micro edits and time compression. And there was the three hours of extras, which was incomplete. While it had the standard made for the home video release documentaries, and did have the rarely seen Batgirl pilot, a lot of other stuff that should have been included in the extras was missing, including:

*Deleted scenes, outtakes and gag reel
*Promos
*Batman Movie ( How can you call this the complete Batman with one entire episode missing? Even if it was made for theaters and not television. )
*1966-67 ABC Fall Preview Special ( Featuring Adam West and Burt Ward as Batman and Robin through the entire special )
*CBC making of special ( which was filmed on the set of Batman )
*Batman PSA & Commercials ( Several commercials and PSA's featuring West, Ward and other cast members revising their roles. )
* Various Network Guest Appearances ( While Adam West was under contract to ABC, they had him guest star on various network variety shows, including once hosting Hollywood Palace as Batman )
*Legends of the Superheroes ( A sort of spin-off with West and Ward reprising their roles in a live action adaption of the JLA, but without Superman or Wonder Woman who were licenced to other producers at the time. Two one hour specials were made, and are currently available via Warner Archives )
*Arsinio Hall Show Reunion ( At a time when most of the cast was still alive )
*Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam & Burt

Who knows what other relevant footage was not included as extras. All which will probably be included in future releases of the series. And guess what? Word is that a deluxe or collectors edition with more extras will be out for next Christmas.

So, who here paid for the first release, and who here like me waited to see the reviews from the suckers on Amazon to find out what was wrong with it?

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1498
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Who here Beta tested the Batman 1966 series on DVD/Blu-Ray?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
I did.  But I didn't pay $200 for it. I got the limited edition Blu Ray set the day it was released for around $115 around 2 and a half years ago.

They sent out a few replacement discs for the ones that were missing scenes.  Personally I'm ok with it missing the movie since that was "the movie" and not the TV series. (I already had it on Blu Ray, so no big deal.)  All the special features you listed would be nice, but most of those I'd watch maybe once that's it.  For me I am happy with the Blu Ray set and the digital copies that came with it.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »
I did.  But I didn't pay $200 for it. I got the limited edition Blu Ray set the day it was released for around $115 around 2 and a half years ago.

You are one of the lucky ones that was able to buy it on sale. Most bought it at it's $190 retail price. Some even paid a little more. But considering that it only costs about 50ยข to press an individual Blu Ray disc, there is really no excuse for Warner to compress that many episodes on so few discs when the set retails at $190. Even at $115, that is stingy.

They sent out a few replacement discs for the ones that were missing scenes.

They have been doing that a lot. I once tried to buy the Superman Anthology on DVD and found out that two of the discs were had manufacture flaws. I was instructed to call Warner for replacement discs, but discovered they stopped distributing the discs after the set was out for a year.  I ended up getting a refund, then later buying the same anthology on Blu-Ray.

Personally I'm ok with it missing the movie since that was "the movie" and not the TV series. (I already had it on Blu Ray, so no big deal.)

The movie was the one thing they could have included. On the Adventures of Superman season one set, Warner include the movie Superman and the Mole Men as a bonus. They could have done the same with the Batman movie. I agree, the movie is probably the one thing no one will really complain about since every fan of the series has owned the movie for decades, as it was the only thing released on home video. But don't call the set "complete" when it is not.

All the special features you listed would be nice, but most of those I'd watch maybe once that's it.  For me I am happy with the Blu Ray set and the digital copies that came with it.

Yea, but if you found out they were releasing a new edition for half the price, with all the mistakes fixed and all the missing extras and commentary tracks included, you would feel a little cheated.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1498
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »

Yea, but if you found out they were releasing a new edition for half the price, with all the mistakes fixed and all the missing extras and commentary tracks included, you would feel a little cheated.

But does the new version play the theme song if you press the side of the box?  :D