Author Topic: Film Crew DVDs = MST3K with no bots...  (Read 7825 times)

Offline Kronos

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
    • Centralia
Film Crew DVDs = MST3K with no bots...
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:03:41 PM »
I was wondering ...The Film Crew DVDs are basically MST3K without the bots. Being that production costs weren't incredibly out of control for MST3K, why not go whole hog? Is it because they don't own the rights to the MST3K property?

Now, I'm not suggesting that they pitch MST3K to channels again (although it would be nice), but why not just do it for the DVDs? Maybe there's more inner workings that we don't know about?

Any insights?
Visit my band's websites:

Centralia

Centralia's Myspace

My own myspace:

Kronos

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked:
  • Forum Czar
Re: Film Crew DVDs = MST3K with no bots...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »

Question:
I was wondering... why not go whole hog?

Answer:
...because they don't own the rights to the MST3K property

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:38:30 PM »
 ...and if they did negotiate for the rights, they would have to share the money.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:54:55 AM »
not to mention rebuild all the sets

Offline timechaser

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:06:33 AM »
I think this new idea may be just as good as mst3k. It'll be fresh and original too but with the same premise.
He split Robin's arrow in twain!!

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »
I'm not sure it's a new idea... it may be an old idea that is finally getting released.

I don't know if there will be anymore of them or not.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked:
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:24:14 AM »
Right... it's not. These were filmed three years ago, before RiffTrax was even around. I know I'd love to get all three guys to do something similar, but scheduling is the main issue of course.

Who knows what the future holds...

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 08:27:47 AM »
I dunno... With Rifftrax and Film Crew and the various books and whatnot, I've become familiar with Mike, Kevin and Bill outside of the confines of MST. For lack of a better word, I think it would be a little 'creepy' to bring out the puppets again. Don't get me wrong, I love MST3K more than any TV show ever, but I think that ship has sailed. You're getting into a weird area when you try and recapture the past so many years after the fact.

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 09:58:40 AM »
If Maylon was interested in making some money off MST, he would be doing so already outside the Rhino DVDs.

On the flip side...

Since we are inside the MST / Rifftrax community, we tend to overstate the profitability of such a venture.

Offline Kronos

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
    • Centralia
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 07:46:44 PM »
Meh...

I'm just pining for more well placed bumpers...and the chemistry of the old show. It's obviously that Mike, Kevin, and Bill all have great chemistry...but sometimes I miss Mary Jo, Frank, Trace, Joel, and the rest of the crew.

Oh well...
Visit my band's websites:

Centralia

Centralia's Myspace

My own myspace:

Kronos

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 03:55:45 AM »
Meh...

I'm just pining for more well placed bumpers...and the chemistry of the old show. It's obviously that Mike, Kevin, and Bill all have great chemistry...but sometimes I miss Mary Jo, Frank, Trace, Joel, and the rest of the crew.

Oh well...

There are ten years of the show to enjoy in the back catalog...  so all is not lost.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 11:09:16 AM »
If Maylon was interested in making some money off MST, he would be doing so already outside the Rhino DVDs.

On the flip side...

Since we are inside the MST / Rifftrax community, we tend to overstate the profitability of such a venture.

You mean Maylon Jennings?  And Madam?

It's Mallon!

*sigh*
always fixing the typos....

Waylon Jennings and Madam...best ventriloquist/country act EVER!
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Oceaniclost

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 02:18:19 AM »
There are ten years of the show to enjoy in the back catalog...  so all is not lost.

Eleven years if you have the KTMA years. Which I have some, but love the 10 years better!
But still fun to watch the KTMA years.

I really hope the Film Crew DVD's become a hit. They could always add more charatcers and use past MST3K actors.
Or have movie character characters, like they did on MST3K, Mr. B Natural, Torgo, Satan,

Offline Axeman

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
    • Axemans 3D Homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 02:40:20 AM »
I'm with Nunyerbiz on this one, the MST3K ship has sailed and it's time to move on.  We tuned in for  the movie and the riffing, not the bots and the Mads and so forth.  It was fun, but it was essentially a side-show to the main arena of ripping bad movies to bits on the cheap.  It's even cheaper to do it without sets, costumes, lighting, etc and distribute through the power of the electric interweb.  As much as I'd love to see the guys on screen again, it would have to be something new and not a rehash of the early 90's.  A simple format of them sitting there introducing a movie and then tearing it a new one would work just fine for me.
www.axeman3d.com for all your poor-qaulity CGI model needs.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 02:50:54 AM »
Speaking of MST3K version one, you can now pre-order volume 11 from Amazon.com.    And since their sets seem to go OOP due to movie rights issues, probably best to snag it ASAP.