Author Topic: What did Season 11 do RIGHT?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
What did Season 11 do RIGHT?
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
Okay, as we all know from MST3K history, whenever there's a change, whether it be a change in Mad, voice of Tom Servo, Crow, Host, etc., MSTies get up in arms that the familiarity with which they were comfortable was taken away from them (Just ask Kevin Murphy and his dot matrix printer banner about how someone on Usenet hated his voice).

That being said, the new season of MST3K was just a gargantuan panoply of changes to piss us off, removing us from the familiarity we had in Seasons 1-10 and replacing them with changes that we thought lessened the show. Some of them were:
  • The rapid-fire riffing
  • Tom Servo's new voice, again
  • No Hexfield Viewscreen
  • No shorts
  • The use of celebrities and not unknown actors from Minnesota
I could go on and on. However, rarely do I hear what Season 11 did right. So, what did season 11 do right in its changes? IMHO,
  • Baron Vaughn's Tom Servo now has a beat-box
  • Hampton Yount's Crow sounds like Crow
  • Terrific musical numbers (especially "Every Country Has A Monster")
  • Terrific movie choices, even more so than in seasons 1-10 (except "The Christmas That Never Was". Doesn't hold half a scented candle to SCCTM and Santa Claus)
  • Excellent new doorway countdown transition
  • The riffers not talking over the dialogue means that no line is missed
So what do you guys think are positive changes? I'll give you a RAM chip!  ;)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What did Season 11 do RIGHT?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:54 PM »
I dissagree with this being a positive. Most dialog in bad movies like this is irrelevant, it's just padding, so talking over it doesn't hurt. And this "don't talk over dialog" rule is the reason for the rapidfire riffs because they are trying to fit them in the few gaps.

I really like Patton Oswalt as Max/TVs Son of TVs Frank. That might be largely due to liking him prior to him being on the show, but I think he does make good use of what little screentime the Mads have. Same with Felicia Day as Kinga. Her in particular they need to figure out what he identity is, though.
I think Jonah is a great host. He's still figuring out his own identity, but that's to be expected in a show like this.
I like the idea of an occasional new robot.
The riffing that was good, was really good.
The Mark Hamill guest star host segment was great. This shows they can be done well, it just has to be the right guest and written properly.
I love the chemistry between Jonah and the bots.
I like the additional movement in the theater, Tom's hovering and Crow's walking around. I do find Gypsy coming in distracting, but I do like that she contributes to the riffing while she's there.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13:01 AM »
I dissagree with this being a positive. Most dialog in bad movies like this is irrelevant, it's just padding, so talking over it doesn't hurt. And this "don't talk over dialog" rule is the reason for the rapidfire riffs because they are trying to fit them in the few gaps.

I really like Patton Oswalt as Max/TVs Son of TVs Frank. That might be largely due to liking him prior to him being on the show, but I think he does make good use of what little screentime the Mads have. Same with Felicia Day as Kinga. Her in particular they need to figure out what he identity is, though.
I think Jonah is a great host. He's still figuring out his own identity, but that's to be expected in a show like this.
The Mark Hamill guest star host segment was great. This shows they can be done well, it just has to be the right guest and written properly.
I like the additional movement in the theater, Tom's hovering and Crow's walking around. I do find Gypsy coming in distracting, but I do like that she contributes to the riffing while she's there.

You get a RAM chip!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
That being said, the new season of MST3K was just a gargantuan panoply of changes to piss us off, removing us from the familiarity we had in Seasons 1-10 and replacing them with changes that we thought lessened the show. Some of them were:

I am formally submitting a request to change the highlighted 'us's to 'me's and the 'we's to 'I's.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 05:29:44 AM »

I am formally submitting a request to change the highlighted 'us's to 'me's and the 'we's to 'I's.

Those aren't complaints I had with Season 11; those were complaints I heard here and there and around the intertubes.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 06:11:42 AM »

Those aren't complaints I had with Season 11; those were complaints I heard here and there and around the intertubes.

Fair enough. From your wording it seemed like you believed these were universal opinions instead of the scattered opinions of some. For example, I feel most of us here came around to the speed of the riffing in most cases.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:29:29 AM »
The rapid delivery of three or four jokes to fit into a tiny gap between dialogue is just bad. It's not a style; it's poor joke delivery caused by a refusal to talk over dialogue or edit their script down sufficiently. They had several teams of writers all writing separately for the same small spots, and they couldn't bring themselves to cut out any jokes they liked. All the jokes suffer when you rush them, and Joel should have known better.

As for things Season 11 did well:
-Patton Oswalt is fantastic. Near the end, Kinga grew on me a LITTLE, but Max is still the reason to watch the Moon 13 segments.
-I grew to like the "ad breaks" a lot
-The stop-motion stuff is a perfect evolution of the show's aesthetic. A great way to up production values while remaining decidedly low-tech.
-The riffing, in general, was solid. It's not the best it's ever been, but it's far from the worst.
-I liked Jonah, even if he needs to find his character. (I hope he gets to do that)
-Crow
-Crow's hands
-I've enjoyed the return of the Invention Exchange, and I like that the Mads just steal ideas from their jokes in the previous episode.
-The new rendition of Mighty Science Theater
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:47:25 AM by Quirk »
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »
The rapid delivery of three or four jokes to fit into a tiny gap between dialogue is just bad. It's not a style; it's poor joke delivery caused by a refusal to talk over dialogue or edit their script down sufficiently. They had several teams of writers all writing separately for the same small spots, and they couldn't bring themselves to cut out any jokes they liked. All the jokes suffer when you rush them, and Joel should have known better.

You're declaring something subjective as being objective. Your opinion is not a fact.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »
You're declaring something subjective as being objective. Your opinion is not a fact.

Me saying that it is bad is an opinion, but most of my post was my experienced guess about why the jokes were that rapid.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:06:54 AM by Quirk »
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »

Me saying that it is bad is an opinion, but most of my post was my experienced guess about why the jokes were that rapid.

Okay, fair enough. You get a RAM chip.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
Okay, fair enough. You get a RAM chip.

Omnomnomnom

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
I would have preferred gypsy hung around a while and interacted. As it was, it felt like she was edited in to deliver lines they forgot to say. The slack in her neck was also rigid, so it didn't look right.

I didn't mind the mobility but crow climbing up the side of the screen was something out of a bad horror movie.

Overall I would prefer the characters moves naturally. When they look that artificial it detracts from whatever is coming next.

I liked the mads and intro. The movies were generally entertaining, and I did notice that servos voice improved as the season went on.

I liked the level they went over the movies. A lot of the jokes didn't feel like they were flinging shit at the wall hoping something sticks. The commercial breaks worked. The out of theater time didn't wear out its welcome.

The bubbles for editing sometimes worked... The overall editing could have been improved upon. For example the invention exchange felt prerecorded because Jonah didn't react to whatever just happened when he did his invention. Overall the dialogue felt like a Red Alert 3 cut scene, like the mads were talking to the commander/audience instead of Jonah.

Overall I think they deserve a season 12. Despite the flaws that are likely from a rushed schedule the overall product was good, and I'm rewatching episodes and finding the impact of the jokes actually get better.

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »
I did get used to the faster joke pace, for the most part. One thing I like about it is you can watch the episodes repeatedly and still pick up on something new. So, high rewatchability factor.

Probably my favorite thing about season 11 is the movie selection and how good the movies look. I was watching Beast of Hollow Mountain again and thinking, if this was an ugly, muddy print it would be a slog to get through. But the movie looks great, the riffing and host segments are top notch, and it's one of my favorite episodes.

Jonah is super likeable; he seems born to be a host. I'd love to see more character moments with him. His interplay with the bots is fun and felt natural right away; that's a big plus for me. Crow sounds like Crow. Tom took more getting used to, but I grew to like him. I liked Baron's voice from the start, it just took reconciling it with Tom because it was so different. I like the new Gypsy. Her old voice was funny at times but it did grate on me a lot. I like the visual gags in the theater. Tom getting whapped and flying across the screen was one of my biggest laughs of the season.

I liked the majority of host segments and invention exchanges, they felt in keeping with the spirit of the show. The ad breaks gave it a campy, late night tv feel I enjoyed.

The riffing is really, really funny overall. I love the mix of older and modern references. The faster pace threw me at first, and I do think they could have pared it down in some places, like 2-3 jokes instead of four, but on my second watch of Reptilicus I was already settling into it. It's just different. The only thing I would say is actually BAD is when the riffs are timed wrong, like they start a joke before the thing they're joking about even comes onscreen. If you have to do that to fit it in, you need to edit the joke. So I hope they fix that, because the writing is really good and I don't want anything to detract from it.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
The door sequence is absolutely top notch.  Aside from looking slick, it tickled that nerd center of my brain that would like to see the rooms where the characters eat and sleep.  NOW IT CAN BE TOLD!

Offline linszoid

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »

You get a RAM chip!

I liked the fact that Jonah was eating RAM chips in at least one episode.