Author Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance  (Read 2655 times)

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4484
Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
Another trailer courtesy of SDCC...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UMRz6Hfjelo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UMRz6Hfjelo</a>
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:54:53 PM by The Lurker »

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
Getting closer...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a3_owZfYVR8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a3_owZfYVR8</a>

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 09:45:00 PM »
Somehow I missed this trailer today...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4MjxmT51m3Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4MjxmT51m3Y</a>

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
83% so far on Rotten Tomatoes.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 07:54:37 AM »
It's up!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oM8j4vDiX0Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oM8j4vDiX0Y</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
It's been getting some solid reviews on the AV Club.  I might wait a bit and see if a friend wants to watch, though we already have a HUGE cue of shows to watch together (largely anime these days).

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2646
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »
I watched all of it. 

I've never seen the movie, not sure if that matters since this is a prequel, I was fairly lost during the first episode trying to figure out what they were talking about half the time.  Also I think the sound mix added to my confusion, the first 2 episodes there were many times when the music and sound effects were stepping on the dialog, but after those episodes I never noticed it again. 

The characters are very interesting, and there are a lot of them, setting them all up also adds to the confusion of the first episode since they jump between story lines a lot, there were several times during the first 2 episodes I got a bit annoyed that they jumped away from one set of characters just as I was figuring out who they were.

It moves along pretty good, some scenes with the Skeksis in the later episodes felt a bit too long, but overall it's got good pacing.

It looks fantastic in 4K HDR, I was wondering if the extra detail would be a distraction and let you notice the puppetry too much and take you out of the story, that did happen on occasion but most of the time you can just forget they are puppets and concentrate on the story.

It is a fairly sad story, and fairly gruesome at times.  You know they did a good job when you feel bad for puppets getting damaged.  :)

I see the 1982 movie is streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime, I may watch that sometime this weekend.  I may also go back and re-watch those first 2 episodes now that I know all the terminology and who the characters are.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 737
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
I just finished episode 4. So far, I have to say, this is damn impressive. I was a huge fan of the movie growing up, and I was afraid this would end up being a CG fest. But no, they stayed true to the look and feel of the original movie. Hard to believe it's been about 35 years since then.

I appreciate that this series expounds a lot of the lore that's only hinted at in the movie.

Fun Fact: In the first cut of the movie, the Skeksis didn't speak English. They spoke their own language, presumably with subtitles. Test audiences hated it. They rerecorded the Skeksis dialogue in English, but since the puppetry was already done, they had to finagle some of it to fit the mouth movements.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
It is impressive as hell, the cinematography is great, it's filmed as if it was a big budget action movie.

I watched the 1982 movie, it's so simple, the series is far far more complex.  Even the world is far more impressive in the series with stuff "alive" everywhere.  Kind of amazing considering it is still just puppets, from what I've read CGI was only used for fill in on the backgrounds, I guess there is probably some new technology being used, micro servos, certainly tiny LEDs are being used all over the place.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2019, 04:53:44 AM »
It is impressive as hell, the cinematography is great, it's filmed as if it was a big budget action movie.

I watched the 1982 movie, it's so simple, the series is far far more complex.  Even the world is far more impressive in the series with stuff "alive" everywhere.  Kind of amazing considering it is still just puppets, from what I've read CGI was only used for fill in on the backgrounds, I guess there is probably some new technology being used, micro servos, certainly tiny LEDs are being used all over the place.

Eh, I mean there’s definitely a lot of CGI in the first episode at least (which is all I’ve seen so far). But there’s still puppets in pretty much every shot. I don’t mind the CGI. I think it’s nice, and blends well enough with the puppets. So far I’ve yet to notice a time where one of the characters that is normally a puppet was CGI for a shot (maybe some of the flying stuff, but maybe not). But there were a lot of monsters and creatures that were straight up CGI, like the spider things and big worm things.

But I agree that this story is much better any more involved than the movie. Looking forward to finishing it.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
I watched all of it in 4K HDR and never noticed any CGI, so where ever it was used it blended in well enough that I never noticed it.  Of course I was never looking for it.  If I rewatch the first 2 episodes I'll see if I can pick it out when purposely looking for it.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
I watched all of it in 4K HDR and never noticed any CGI, so where ever it was used it blended in well enough that I never noticed it.  Of course I was never looking for it.  If I rewatch the first 2 episodes I'll see if I can pick it out when purposely looking for it.

To be clear, I work in film.  And, funny coincidence, I'm actually working on a puppet show right now.  So when I say I saw a bunch of CGI, it wasn't because I was like 'Oh that looks like bad CGI'.  I say it because I know what is possible to do with a puppet and what isn't, so some things betray themselves as CGI just by knowing what can physically be done.  For example, the beetle wheels on the Skesis carriage, and the way the big worm in the tree moved (the little worm was a puppet [and a cute one at that]), and the spider like creature.  Their range of movement betrays their CGIness, not so much the quality of the CGI.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »

To be clear, I work in film.  And, funny coincidence, I'm actually working on a puppet show right now.  So when I say I saw a bunch of CGI, it wasn't because I was like 'Oh that looks like bad CGI'.  I say it because I know what is possible to do with a puppet and what isn't, so some things betray themselves as CGI just by knowing what can physically be done.  For example, the beetle wheels on the Skesis carriage, and the way the big worm in the tree moved (the little worm was a puppet [and a cute one at that]), and the spider like creature.  Their range of movement betrays their CGIness, not so much the quality of the CGI.

I never said a thing about quality, does anyone talk about "bad" CGI any more?  Even cheap productions seem to be able to do fairly good CGI.

As a model maker I figured they switched from puppets to models when the wheels were "active", but I suppose it is CGI, even I could build a model that moved like that but not sure they had the budget for all those puppets and a big model shop.

Only thinking about one episode I'm sure it's easier to think of the stuff that is CG, binge watch 5 hours at a time and all you remember is the amazing puppets, and the story.  ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2019, 06:29:25 AM »
I'm two episodes in and very impressed with the visuals and puppetry. It is a little difficult to keep track of all the characters and locations with silly names, especially the Gelflings who tend to look similar. But, like the movie, the Skeksis are the most interesting and they are the easiest to tell apart. I love Mark Hamill as The Scientist, and it sounds like he's doing a Joker/Cobra Commander type voice. The Chamberlain's voice is spot on, and I would never have known it was Simon Pegg if I hadn't seen it in the credits.
The only thing confusing to me is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do like that Augra mentions the Mystics at one point and then dismisses them. She doesn't have time for their vague mysticism hippie bullshit.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »
I'm two episodes in and very impressed with the visuals and puppetry. It is a little difficult to keep track of all the characters and locations with silly names, especially the Gelflings who tend to look similar. But, like the movie, the Skeksis are the most interesting and they are the easiest to tell apart. I love Mark Hamill as The Scientist, and it sounds like he's doing a Joker/Cobra Commander type voice. The Chamberlain's voice is spot on, and I would never have known it was Simon Pegg if I hadn't seen it in the credits.
The only thing confusing to me is that
I do like that Augra mentions the Mystics at one point and then dismisses them. She doesn't have time for their vague mysticism hippie bullshit.