login

Author Topic: Do we need our own site?  (Read 422 times)

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 145
  • Humans are superior!
Do we need our own site?
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
So, iRiffs has been down for over 2 years now.  By all appearances it has been abandoned by Rifftrax and isn't coming back (if someone from Rifftrax knows otherwise please let me know).  Is it time for us as riffers to start our own site?  Many of us have tried Gumroad and if your experience is anything like mine, sales have been less than impressive... less so than they were on iRiffs.  The only people who find us, for the most part. are other riffers, which is nice, but personally I'd like to get some of the non riffer customers we had through Rifftrax   A few Riffers have their own sites already, but a site where people can peruse a variety of Riffers would be really nice.

I've been trying to figure out how this would work.  I'm not even sure I would know how to do it anyways.  But here is what I have in mind.

First off, selling directly from the site presents a number of issues: server space, bandwidth restrictions, distribution of payment, and taxes.  What I envision is more of a jumping off point.  Customers can look at different groups' catalogues of riffs, each group having it's own section, where they can see what we have to offer.  Basically you'd be able to look at product descriptions, posters, previews videos if you have them, and pricing.  If they like what they see and want to make a purchase they click a link that takes them to a sales page via Gumroad, or your existing product pages on Rifftrax, or whatever other site you're selling through.  This way we don't have to worry about having enormous amounts of server space to pay for, bandwidth isn't an issue, nobody has to be a treasurer who makes sure everyone gets paid, and no one running the site has to deal with taxes.

The site would need a few people to run it.  It would need at least one person (probably more) building the website, putting together product pages, etc.  A public relations person handling Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.  And we would need a content curator.  The content curator would make sure that we don't get something like the infamous Spider-man shorts.  I would like this site to be a place where people can find quality content... and my stuff too  :P .

I wanted to call this site The Riffening; but apparently that is the name of a New Zealand music festival so that name could be problematic.  Maybe the Riffvergence?  I don't know.  We need something catchy.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?  Does it sound feasible?  I'm a bit afraid that by putting the idea out there I'll end up being the one building the site but quite frankly I don't think I have the skills needed to make it presentable.  I'd be willing to have a role in managing the site; maybe even pay for the server space and domain registration if I can afford what we'd need.  I'd much rather see iRiffs up and running again but that doesn't look like it will be happening.  Anyways, let me know your ideas on the subject.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Do we need our own site?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:07:58 AM »
I think something like this would act a lot better as an advertising item than Gumroad alone, which really just a storefront to aid and abet an existing project than a standalone project.  However, the only thing I would be concerned about is that, despite how simple the initial set up would be, it probably would be a bigger project than it would appear at first glance.  If it takes off and there is a LOT of riffer interest, simple curating might be a difficult task to keep up with.

I don't think it is a bad idea...not at all.  I think there is a lot of potential, and I know there are voices out there that have come to the forums wondering when iRiffs is coming back, so there is a budding market waiting to happen.  But it is important to consider that whatever happens, and whoever takes charge, that it shouldn't be expected to be easy.  Rewarding, surely, but not easy.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 53
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
The only problem I see with this is that people would have to make individual purchases instead of loading a bunch of different riffs by different riffers into a cart and paying for them all at once. Is this something that's possible.

Also: Riffer Dance! Riff'd to Shreds! Riffs and Butts! Riff These Walls Could Talk Too!

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 260
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
I think a RiffDB would be a good place to start. We toyed around with the idea of an iRiffs type platform before iRiffs existed. Kevin (of QuipTracks) is a computer programmer and seemed to think it was possible, but it's absolutely not something we can take on in addition to The Order of the League. But a database of riffs with links to external stores is still better than trying to get attention here. I'm imagining a slightly more structured RiffWiki, but with a focus on indie riffing instead of mostly being a Rifftrax fan site.

If somebody does do it, I BEG you not to paint these riffs as fan projects. Most of us are WAY past that point. And for the love of all that is good, do not mention the term "iRiff."
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline fireyf

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 145
  • Humans are superior!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:34:56 PM »
I think something like this would act a lot better as an advertising item than Gumroad alone, which really just a storefront to aid and abet an existing project than a standalone project.  However, the only thing I would be concerned about is that, despite how simple the initial set up would be, it probably would be a bigger project than it would appear at first glance.  If it takes off and there is a LOT of riffer interest, simple curating might be a difficult task to keep up with.

I don't think it is a bad idea...not at all.  I think there is a lot of potential, and I know there are voices out there that have come to the forums wondering when iRiffs is coming back, so there is a budding market waiting to happen.  But it is important to consider that whatever happens, and whoever takes charge, that it shouldn't be expected to be easy.  Rewarding, surely, but not easy.

It would indeed be an enormous undertaking.  I think the curating would boil down more to curating riffers more than individual riffs.  Still hard when new riffers come to the scene but at least we have a strong base of existing riffers who we know are worth having and don't need their riffs individually screened.  Definitely not an easy task and it can't be handled by one person.  At first I'd considered making a site for FireRiffs but I don't think that would get very far.  Multiple riff groups on the same site will increase everyone's sales since customers will come for one group and see other groups and try them out.

The only problem I see with this is that people would have to make individual purchases instead of loading a bunch of different riffs by different riffers into a cart and paying for them all at once. Is this something that's possible.

Also: Riffer Dance! Riff'd to Shreds! Riffs and Butts! Riff These Walls Could Talk Too!

I'll have to look into it, but I think as long as you stay logged in to Gumroad before cashing out you can keep adding stuff to your cart from other artists like on most e-commerce sites.  I'll definitely look into that though.

I think a RiffDB would be a good place to start. We toyed around with the idea of an iRiffs type platform before iRiffs existed. Kevin (of QuipTracks) is a computer programmer and seemed to think it was possible, but it's absolutely not something we can take on in addition to The Order of the League. But a database of riffs with links to external stores is still better than trying to get attention here. I'm imagining a slightly more structured RiffWiki, but with a focus on indie riffing instead of mostly being a Rifftrax fan site.

If somebody does do it, I BEG you not to paint these riffs as fan projects. Most of us are WAY past that point. And for the love of all that is good, do not mention the term "iRiff."

Yes, let's leave the name iRiffs with Rifftrax.  I ever cared for that name anyways.  What are we, an Apple product?  Basically the way I've laid things out is to keep costs down and avoid complicated legal and payment issues.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 08:33:12 AM »
How about "Talky Joke Joke Over The Moving Picture Story"?  ;)