Author Topic: MST3K Summer Tour  (Read 3811 times)

Online Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
Re: MST3K Summer Tour
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:48 AM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 05:52:19 AM »
And currently not planning to film it

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/864169616188334080

/facepalm

UGH! I hate this slavish adherence to live performance. I get that as performers they like getting feedback from the audience, but it's really not required, and it just limits the audience that can see it.
I am likely going to be able to go to the one near me, but I realize that I am very lucky in that regard.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 05:57:02 AM »
I kind of wish they'd spend this time working on the next season. I forgave season 11 for a lot due to its tight schedule, but if next season has the same issues because they used their time on this tour, I won't be able to overlook it so easily.

I guess maybe they don't know if they have another season yet...
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
Why the hell wouldn't they film and sell it? Wouldn't that make them a lot more money? Really bummed about this. Fans shouldn't be excluded by geography.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
Why the hell wouldn't they film and sell it? Wouldn't that make them a lot more money? Really bummed about this. Fans shouldn't be excluded by geography.
Or cost, time, and frustration.
I just spent over $60 for one ticket. I will have to drive to the city (with tolls), deal with annoying traffic, park (likely at a parking garage which will cost me), get to the venue, be in line, be in the loud and very crowded theater, wait (because these damn things never start on time), enjoy the performance that I have no volume control over, over an also very loud crowd, deal with the huge crowd when leaving the theater, and then drive home in traffic. All because they want audience feedback. Something they didn't have when shooting the original show.
Or I could pay ~$10 and watch it at my leisure, in my calm home where I have volume control.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
Responses to some above remarks:
-It makes no sense to work on another Season when they're still awaiting word from Netflix on whether or not they renew for another season. I'm guessing if Netflix passes, Joel/Shout will shop it to other networks (or Amazon), but unless Shout thinks they can make money with a DVD and Shout TV only season, the only way another season will happen is after funding is secured.
-Venue I'm going to is an hour away and I hate staying out late on a Sunday night and while I'm typically not into crowds, there is something about seeing a live riff live with a crowd that makes it more enjoyable than a recorded version of that live event (even movie theater crowds for the live Rifftrax events beat watching them at home). I would like to see home releases, but really just to catch jokes that I miss and because I'm going to miss the sci-fi surpise feature (only 1 show here and it's Eegah!).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:17:44 PM by wihogfan »

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 07:15:30 AM »

First off, I don't think this is all about making money. Seems like Joel wants to do this because it's an itch he has had for a while.

Second, if you taped it and sold the video you will sell less tickets, especially in more out of the way venues. 

Plus, filming it requires a score of expensive people and gear to record, edit it, light it, and yada yada.

Yeah, I won't get to see it, but why should that prevent them from doing something they want to do?  Letting them know we would like a recording makes sense. But being angry and pretending like you are being force marched out to a theater is childish.  We are fans, but that doesn't entitle us to experience everything.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 07:38:01 AM »

First off, I don't think this is all about making money. Seems like Joel wants to do this because it's an itch he has had for a while.

Agreed.  Though I am sure it also might be, in part, to keep interest in the show in the public consciousness and drum up more interest.  After all, the show, while aparently doing well, hasn't been picked up for another season yet.

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »
I guess my frustration comes from not having a reason why they won't be filmed. Just nope, you're outta luck if you live outside the US.  If it would lose them money or not be worth it then I understand, I'd just like to know. I've been a fan since the mid-90s (from the US originally) and besides the "lost" KTMA episodes, these will be the first MST3K shows I'll never be able to see. Just makes me sad as a loyal fan. I'll get over it, but I'll definitely be focusing more on Rifftrax. While I know I'll never get to see one of their live shows, I really appreciate the recordings.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »
and besides the "lost" KTMA episodes, these will be the first MST3K shows I'll never be able to see.
I'd be surprised if the riff at the show don't end up in Season 12 (assuming there is one).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
I don't know if it would lose them money, but it would undoubtedly cost them more upfront, for all the reasons Variety of Cells listed above. And not every MST3K fan would want it. When Cinematic Titanic switched over to the live format, I completely lost interest. There's something about buying a recording of an event that I didn't get to go to that feels disingenuous, for some reason. Like buying your own bowling trophy. It's a souvenir for a vacation you never took. Rifftrax circumvents that a little bit by broadcasting live, so I feel like I've participated, even though I wasn't "there."  I know I'm probably an oddball that way, but there are a number of other reasons I've heard people say they prefer recorded Rifftrax shows to live shows.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
I know I'm probably an oddball that way...

"Probably?"
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »
Fair enough. :^)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
I am worried about "wrong sounding" Robots. It seems that Hampton and Baron might not be at all (any?) of the shows.

Seeing it the first night in Boston so hopefully we get the full and proper cast.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
I'd be flabbergasted if they did it without the 3 main cast. I can understand the mads being video since they aren' t the riffers in this series, but I'd be annoyed if the other two weren't part of the show.