Author Topic: The Great Alaskan Mystery - Riffs in Progress!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
The Great Alaskan Mystery - Riffs in Progress!
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
"The Great Alaskan Mystery" group riff is in progress.  This thread will be for links to the new chapters and for viewers to leave comments and feedback.   Participants, continuing updates will be made at the original thread:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=29507.0

Here is the Wordpress site:

https://thegreatalaskanmysteryriff.wordpress.com/

The chapters currently completed:

Chapter 1 By Intrepid Asylum streaming free at YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBZvbKR5vk&feature=youtu.be
More info about the chapter and Intrepid Asylum at:
https://thegreatalaskanmysteryriff.wordpress.com/chapter-1-by-intrepid-asylum/

Chapter 2 by Drawback Productions for sale at theorderoftheleague.com (bundled with the upcoming Chapter 3 by QuipTracks):
https://orderoftheleague.com/products/great-ak-mystery
More info about the chapter and Drawback Productions:
https://thegreatalaskanmysteryriff.wordpress.com/chapter-2-drawback-productions/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4952
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: The Great Alaskan Mystery - Riffs in Progress!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »
Ok. I will post my reviews here and the iJust Finished Watching thread.

Offline wherethefishlives

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 53
  • Toddlers be trippin'!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »
QuipTracks Presents: The Great Alaskan Mystery - Chapter 3

I'm an important guy who knows people so I got to see an advanced screening of QT's GAM installment. The bad news: The Great Alaskan mystery continues it's nonsensical editing and barely-there plot with the same violence towards animals that it was chock full of in Chapter II. The good news: the riff is GREAT! Jam-packed with terrific jokes. Here are some.

(After a flurry of hasty, hard-to-decipher-what's-going edits) So far the great Alaskan mystery is… "The hell?"

(As glacier melts) I think their mistake was writing, “Sorry to bother you but the glacier upon which we are standing is rapidly melting,” in burning gasoline.

(After the fat seaman betrays the bad guys right after betraying the good guys) Amazing how fast he can turn coat in such a bulky coat.

(A guy stands in an old-timey wooden payphone) I'm dead, but my coffin has a payphone.

It would probably mean more if someone reviewed this riff who doesn't depend on its sales (my Drawback Productions riff of Chapter 2 is sold together with their chapter), but for whatever it's worth, I really do recommend it.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 454
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

BTW, I've started using #GAMRiff on Twitter. I don't know how useful it will be to draw attention to the project, but it seems like a way to make this look like a unified effort.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1460
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
I will try to remember to use that hashtag for it!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 10:49:37 AM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 1 (Intrepid Asylum) - Intrepid Asylum is a new riffing group that I think just started earlier this year. I hadn't heard any of his riffs before. I liked it. It's a one man riff, so there is no banter. Decent vocal performance. Not a big range of voices, but he does change it up enough to not be the same all the time. Most of the time good riff density, just the occasional bit of excessive space.
It's a good way to start this serial. I think I'll try some of his other riffs later.

If you have to put on more clothes to survive, it's not a vacation.

And reverse the film! Thank you.

In this serial two scientists, one of whom is German and clearly evil, are trying to invent a teleporter. A teleporter that transports matter through a light beam, meaning it would require line of sight and would be very limited. It's not working, probably because they haven't gotten it to spark and spew smoke yet. Despite the device's utter failure so far, the clearly evil scientist is plotting elaborate attempts to steal it. Another man in a suit shows up (there are a lot of men in suits in this movie, it was the 40s) and suggests that they may have discovered a new element in Alaska that could work in their device he knows nothing about. His evidence of this? A prospector "hit it with a pick and fell over". I hope they name it Jackdanielsum.
So they get on a boat to travel to Alaska. So far this movie is already padding itself by ripping off Titanic (the ship, not the movie).
Ironically, this serial starts with a woman getting her pilots licence, yet it still feels very chauvinistic.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
The Great Alaskan Mystery part 2 (Drawback Productions) - I remember really liking their riff of Girls Just Want To Have Fun. Drawback Productions is a husband and wife team, so they have excellent chemistry. They both have good vocal performances, and they banter back and forth a little. I love their riff density. Definitely recommended!
Drawback Productions is available on the Order Of The League site now, although they don't have their whole backlog available yet. You can get those through their iRiff page.

I know it's a frozen wasteland, but I still think we should bring the fridge.

Through frozen hippo's mouth. (ice falls over) Oh no, it's hungry hungry!

Oh, the record skipped. I guess they're out of danger.

That would have been a close call, if we had been in that footage.

I still don't know what his plan was. If it was to find food, F-. If it was to be food, A+.

Help, we're dressed like Mormons!

They haven't reached Alaska yet, so much as they've reached parts of icebergs. Which is probably what the makers of this serial think Alaska is. Also, the makers of this serial think Eskimos speak like stereotypical Indians in a Lone Ranger TV show. You motherfuckers.
Their dog falls in the water and has to climb out. Given the actual chunk of ice it has to climb on, I'm guessing that was really freezing water and the dog nearly died. You motherfuckers.
Holy shit, the stock footage has a polar bear being speared and fighting another polar bear! Is this some sort of Catching Trouble b roll footage? You motherfuckers.
There's ten more episodes of this crap?! You motherfuckers.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
Intrepid Asylum -- The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 1 -- Intrepid Asylum takes on chapter one of The Great Alaskan Mystery, in which a scientist invents a maguffin-ray and ends up having to go to Alaska to get the crystals or whatever he needs to power it.  I've been enjoying Fubisd's takes on the first Flash Gordon serial, so I wasn't surprised I enjoyed this one as well.  I like the energy he brings to his riffs, as well as how funny the lines themselves are.  This chapter is free to watch on YouTube.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBZvbKR5vk ]

Drawback Productions -- The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 2 -- Chapter two builds on the limited suspense and plot of chapter one by basically ditching both and replacing them with stock footage of icebergs, polar bears, and really speedy Inuits.  DP does a great job making this fun--loved the voice given to the polar bear.  Lots of great lines and banter.

[ https://orderoftheleague.com/collections/drawback-productions/products/great-ak-mystery ]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:45:29 AM by WhyDontTheyLook »
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 260
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
Chapter 3 is now available!

The Chapter 2 & 3 bundle has been updated to include chapter 3, so if you already bought it for chapter 2, all you have to do is re-download using the same link that was sent to you before.

Today's movie-goers are spoiled rotten when it comes to pre-show entertainment, but in 1944 there were none of the exclusive behind-the-scenes sneak peaks of SUV ads that we take for granted. Instead, they got The Great Alaskan Mystery, and it wasn't even introduced by wannabe entertainment news anchors! Regardless, people came back to the theater every week to find out what was going to happen, even if the inexplicable editing and indistinguishable characters ensured that they hadn't understood what happened last week, nor what was happening now. But the picture moved, there were sounds, and standards were low. Now, is it fair to compare this moldy old serial to today's riveting 3D reminders to turn off your cell phone brought to you by M&M's? Of course not! But it's also not fair to chuck dogs into ravines or portray Inuits as primitive comic relief, so we're ripping into The Great Alaskan Mystery anyway.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »
Chapter 4 will be available tomorrow.  I have a product page ready to go, but my HD copy is still rendering, and I didn't want to put an incomplete product up for sale.  I'm sure I could add it later, but it all feels so rushed to do it that way.  I'd rather have it all up and running from the get go.

(HD is included; no one has to pay extra for it.  Well, not yet, anyway...;))
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 05:42:57 AM »
You found an HD version of your chapter? Ours looked like garbage.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 05:56:21 AM »
You found an HD version of your chapter? Ours looked like garbage.

I filmed some live action stuff for the beginning that's in HD, and the rest is upscaled; it's about 45 seconds' worth of footage, but as I said in the product description, it's Dubiously Necessary.  Also, it looks a heck of a lot less compressed than the SD one.

If people are waiting, I could probably just publish it and add the file later; it seems to be having hiccups actually getting uploaded (first it said it was 88% complete, then 74%, then 56%, so I don't know what the problem was).

EDIT: And bit the bullet.  Chapter 4 is available now, from here!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:11:44 AM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »
Just finished watching. I'll watch it again a little later, as I was having a hard time listening to the jokes and understanding the action. Like a sucker, I was thrown by the fact that Brock was indeed evil. There are a few lines that stood out, regardless.

Good catch with Brock's door completely changing. This serial's continuity is so awful, and in weird, hard-to-explain ways.
"It's Shake N Bake, an ah halped!"
I loved the joke about horsepower. It's just the kind of absurdist concept that rubs me the right way. (Not that way. Gross.)

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Quiptracks -- The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 3 -- Our heroe... er... protagoni... er... on-screen mammals escape the iceberg they were stranded on, thanks to high-speed stock footage natives and a surprisingly balmy arctic ocean.  Quiptracks is very funny mocking all this, and in taking pleasure in the current deadness of everyone involved with the serial due to what was done to one of the dogs in this episode.

[ https://orderoftheleague.com/collections/quiptracks/products/great-ak-mystery ]

One Man Band -- The Great Alaskan Mystery, Chapter 4 -- After a couple episodes of iceberg-related padding, the characters are gathered back into the same vicinity and remind the audience that there's some kind of macguffin-ray device driving all this (now with a much improved ability to mildly heat up serving plates).  One Man Band delivers a lot of good riffs in this one, including one that startled me, referencing I-96 and Kent Lake. (I used to live in South Lyon.)  Looking forward to chapter 6!

[ https://gumroad.com/l/oynix ]
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1460
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
Chapter 7 is now available!
Watch along and see if you can solve the Great Alaskan Mystery before we do!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ND2BHyKJW9E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ND2BHyKJW9E</a>
https://youtu.be/ND2BHyKJW9E