Author Topic: A Season 12 Wishlist  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
A Season 12 Wishlist
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
OK, I thought I saw this as a thread, but apparently I didn't.  But it gave me a good idea for one.  If we get a season 12 (and I suspect we will), what do you want to see.  I mean in all forms: are there specific movies you want to see, different cast/writers, general decisions, etc.

I actually have a list of movies I'd like to see done, but for now I'll say I would also love to see the Brothers Chaps, creators of Homestar Runner, involved with the show.  They are fans and I think there style of humor fits in quite well.  In addition, both of them have a lot of experience writing for and directing kids TV shows, so I think they could definitely do some fun stuff behind the camera as well.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: A Season 12 Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:49:15 PM »
I want to see a reriff of Robot Monster. The season 1 episode is almost unwatchable it's so slow and devoid of riffs.

Online stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »
I want to see a reriff of Robot Monster. The season 1 episode is almost unwatchable it's so slow and devoid of riffs.

What would really be nice would be if they did a season ( or just a few random shows ) in 3D and riffed old 1950s 3D movies like Robot Monster. Or perhaps some of the garbage that came out in the 80s, like  Treasure of the Four Crowns ( 1983 ) [ Shout! Factory has the home video rights rights to this one ], Parasite ( 1982 ), Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone ( 1983 ), and dare we hope.. Jaws 3-D ( 1983 ). Of course, if they could get Universal to license them Jaws 3D, then they may as well also get Jaws: The Revenge ( 1987 ).

One genre that has been ignored on MST3K is martial arts. The few martial arts based experiments were movies like Master Ninja that just barely had any martial arts content. I started a thread on this subject a while back
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=27051
The only problem with having any old school martial arts films on MST3K would be finding an HD widescreen print. Most of the riffable ones seem to only exist in old VHS pan-and-scan transfers from the early 80s. But there are a couple where HD Widescreen copies are available.

Roots of Evil ( 1979 ) was written, produced and directed by German pop star Christian Anders, who also cast himself as the martial art hero. And who did he cast as the villain? None other than Deep Roy. It was recently remastered and released on DVD in Germany.

A widescreen transfer of Fist of Fear, Touch of Death ( 1980 ) exists, although from a worn theatrical print, but well worth riffing.

And I don't know how many times this movie has bee brought up before, but Gymkata ( 1985 ).

And now I am going to throw my all time favorite movie under the bus by suggesting Times Square ( 1980 ). As much as love the film, I do have to admit it has a lot worth riffing. But at least if it was shown on MST3K then it would have a chance of breaking out of obscurity the way Manos: Hands of Fate did.

And if they ever go back to riffing Gamera films, then the one they should not miss is Gamera: Super Monster ( 1980 ), one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Basically a clip movie using Gamera footage from all the previous films, grafted onto an awful sci-fi film about female alien superheroes who run a pet shop, and the worlds most annoying Japanese kid.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »
I could go for a re-riff of Robot Monster, even though it's one of my favorite season 1 episodes, as you may have guessed from my icon.  (Admittedly, not a great riff, but between the Billion Bubble Machine, the sheer goofiness of the monster suit, and the singing of "peekin' through the knothole, on grandma's wooden leg", it's got some of my favorite S1 moments.)

Gymkata, definitely.  Watched that one with the Gymkommentary komm--er, commentary a while back, definitely ripe for riffing.

There's a movie called Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster that I just watched off YouTube that's begging for the treatment.  In the vein of Plan 9 from Outer Space, in terms of both subject matter and quality, but with less convincing aliens.

There's a 2001 movie called Reptilian which is really a remake of Yongary, with terrible CGI effects and hilariously bad acting.

They could do something Rifftrax did recently with the first Ator movie and riff a sequel to a movie riffed by the original show.  Maybe not any of the other Gamera showa-era movies, but Wikipedia informs me that there are more Master Ninja movies re-edited from the TV show...

Or, hey, there's the pilot of 90-minute pilot for Manimal to consider.  Or the seventies Amazing Spider-Man pilot.

Another monster movie possibility is the seventies Kong rip-off A*P*E.

Also, the 1989 Linda Blair/Dan Haggerty movie, The Chilling.  In which cryogenics somehow leads to frozen zombies, and Grizzly Adams kills some of them with a forklift.
My debut dark fantasy novel, Brutal Light, available once more: http://brutallight.garywolson.com

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »
I'd like to see them be a little looser with their requirement of high quality widescreen prints. It's going to be really hard to get really old low budget movies that way. Which are the majority of the type of movie they should be riffing.

Offline linszoid

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
I'd like to see another Russo-Finnish film riffed.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
I'd like to see another Russo-Finnish film riffed.
That would be great!

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
The sequel to Alien from LA would make for a nice riff.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
riff whatever, i just don't care for the invention exchange.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
Maybe not any of the other Gamera showa-era movies, but Wikipedia informs me that there are more Master Ninja movies re-edited from the TV show...

I'd love to see more MASTER NINJA movies featured on MST3K. "THE MASTER" was a thirteen episode series. Doug McClure (THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT, AT THE EARTH'S CORE) even appeared in episode 11, playing Max Keller's dad.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
riff whatever, i just don't care for the invention exchange.
I don't mind the invention exchange, but it does take away from what little time we have to get to know the new characters.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
-Jonah back and not another new host.
-Bring back the hexfield view screen.
-Pipe dream, so not gonna happen, but longer less rushed production cycle. As much as I enjoyed Season 11, I think a consistent writing team writing as they go would have allowed for improvement episode to episode.
-Pipe dream number 2- one episode with Joel and original cast and 1 episode with Mike and the sci-fi era cast.
-Better distinction between riffer's voices.
-Evil-er mad personalities, more frustration from Joel and the bots.
-Shorts.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
Master Ninja III. They were supposed to do it for Samson vs. The Vampire Women but they chose that one instead to send TV's Frank off with Torgo the White into the other great Satellite in the sky…

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
I second shorts. Not that there isn't an abundance of riffed shorts to be found around here SOMEWHERE, but there's something about that little appetizer before the movie that makes them both more delicious.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
To add to my wishlist, I'd like
  • Funnier Host Segments. The only host segment I really laughed at was the "You Might Be A Crummy Wizard if…" one in Wizards Of The Lost Kingdom II. They should really go for the "cheap" humor, like what Mike did with the plankboard in San Francisco International, and the "No(h) Theater" in Invasion of the Neptune Men. Hell, even the Pod People host segment where they mocked the studio session could qualify as "cheap" humor. This should be where MST3K should aim for their host segments. Leave the thinking and the obscure references in the theater.
  • Felicia Day to actually act more threatening as Kinga Forrester. I don't feel like she has that lovable jerk role as good as Trace and Mary Jo did Clayton and Pearl. I think Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank is perfect, though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:51:34 PM by Iron Curtain »