login

Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017) *spoilers*  (Read 1374 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017) *spoilers*
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:03:03 AM »
How does this not have a thread at all?

Wow that was a gorgeous film, I wish I had seen it in 3D. Really looked fantastic. It's definitely a film about characters rather than a deep plot. However they really laid on the 'Family' thing pretty quick. And stretched the 'Groot's Cute' thing to the limit.

I knew as soon as they referenced Hasselhof as Quill's dad that he was going to get a cameo.

Drax has all the best lines.

Damn I wish they hadn't killed off Yondu, I really liked his character in this and was looking forward to him being around more. At least he got a great send off.

I hope Stallone's crew are all signed on for Vol. 3, and completely missed that one of them was Miley Cyrus

Was Glenn Close actually in the movie? She was credited but I didn't see her.

In the theatre during the credits I actually asked someone 'Was that Jeff Goldblum dancing?' and interesting tie in to Thor.

None of the post credit stuff was really meaningful at all, I guess other than to show that Groot was growing up. 

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 41
  • We are the road crew!
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017) *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »
Without reading the spoilers, posting to say I can't wait to see this! But for some reason I'm seeing it next Friday instead of tomorrow, so wait I shall.  ;D

I will say I thought Bradley Cooper's performance as Rocket in the first one was great, and reminded me a bit of George Costanza. George/Rocket is getting upset! Drax had to get the biiiiiig salad.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3144
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »
Loved it!  The local theater chain had me dress up in my Groot costume and pose for pictures for a couple hours before the premiere, then I went to see it after.  The theater's marketing manager gave me a whole bunch of GOTG swag and coupons for free food.

The movie was hilarious.  It may have had more laugh out loud moments than the first one.  Overall, the first is better (how could anything top it), but the second one is pretty great.  It dragged a bit in the middle (Starlord spends most of the movie hanging out and talking), but it's certainly not a fatal flaw.  Everything with Yondu was great.  Michael Rooker is super cool.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »
Me last night:

(Photo by Mark Loertsher)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
I had a great time at it. Not as good as the first but still a lot of fun.

SPOILER: So they finally did the fan theory that Stan Lee is a Watcher? The final end credits scene seemed to put that in question. Also, wasn't it the Fantastic Four (2005) that he was referencing when he said he was a mailman? That's a Fox movie, not Marvel Studios.

I'm confused about the end credit scene where the gold lady has made a cocoon and says the being in it is named Adam. I thought James Gunn has already said that the organic cocoon that the Collector had was Adam Warlock's.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Thanos at all, but I liked that they established Nebula's hatred and vengeance against him. That is apparently going to be a big part of the second Infinity War movie.

Did Lloyd Kaufman have a cameo in this movie? I didn't notice him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:49:00 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2166
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Saw it. Loved it! It should come as a surprise to no one that I think that was the most awesome finishing move in Marvel history.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
Saw it. Loved it! It should come as a surprise to no one that I think that was the most awesome finishing move in Marvel history.

Haha!

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3653
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Did Lloyd Kaufman have a cameo in this movie? I didn't notice him.
He was one of the guys Yondu attacked on the ship.

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3653
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
I think in some ways I like it a little more than the first.  Felt it had better character moments and a better villain.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2106
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »
So they finally did the fan theory that Stan Lee is a Watcher? The final end credits scene seemed to put that in question. Also, wasn't it the Fantastic Four (2005) that he was referencing when he said he was a mailman? That's a Fox movie, not Marvel Studios.

I thought they were maybe suggesting he was a Skrull?
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »
What I find remarkable about the Guardians of the Galaxy movies is their ability to pluck some of the most insane elements out of the Marvel universe and make them work. The Guardians themselves were already a pretty odd grouping of obscure Marvel characters, but then they go and throw Ego the Living Planet in the mix and it just works. That Silver Age nuttiness really works in these movies.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Some more stray observations because this movie's in my head:

I love that the other Guardians have each taken a shine in their own way to Star Lord's old Earth music. Baby Groot is obviously eating it up like any impressionable child would. You never get a scene where Rocket is suddenly converted, but it's obvious he wants to hear it during tense battles.

Deep down within me is a cynical Gen Xer (I obviously never listen to him) and he wants to hate Baby Groot SO bad, but I just can't. It's obvious, toyetic, corporate pandering, but I unabashedly loved Baby Groot. I feel less cool for admitting it (And I was never all that cool), but every scene with him won me right over.

That was a pretty high on-screen death count for a PG-13 rated movie. I just looked it up, and the first Guardians of the Galaxy actually holds that record, but this one looks like it could at least give it a run for its money.

Offline Blasé

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »
Great costume there Kete!  I hope you didn't break character and say anything else..

Best parts: 1st half, Stan Lee, Drax, Ego playing catch with Starlord (loved that part), the gold people, the visuals, the ultraviolence

Worst parts: Windu dying, crowbarring in the Ravagers, Moondragon wasn't all that interesting, the final battle was kind of boring, Taserface wasn't as funny as the moviemakers thought, Starlord graduating to an ipod, baby Groot, no Thanos, the music mostly sucked, trite stingers

I think they were implying Stan Lee was a potential watcher but he's kind of a clown so they walked away from him.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 01:37:54 PM »
I thought the gold people were rather boring, except for the hilarious video game aspect of the spaceship battle. I had completely forgotten about them by the time they showed up in the final fight, and they just served to make it take longer and be more chaotic.

Did anybody else think they might have been a parody of Trump? With all the gold and the inflated sense of self worth.

I didn't like all the abuse Drax gave to Mantis.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
Worst parts: ...Starlord graduating to an ipod...

It was a Zune! Which is somehow just as charmingly archaic as a Walkman to me. I wonder if Microsoft had to pony up for that bit of product placement?