Author Topic: More People Prefer Watching People Playing Games Versus Actually Playing  (Read 100 times)

Offline attackonmemory

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
  • A Living Dance Upon Dead Minds
I am an avid reader of PCgamer.com [Sorry XBOX & PS4 members], and I wanted to publicly discuss an article I read today called "More people watch gaming videos and streams than HBO, Netflix, ESPN, and Hulu combined" [http://www.pcgamer.com/more-people-watch-gaming-videos-and-streams-than-hbo-netflix-espn-and-hulu-combined/]

I can't tell exactly what I'm angry-most about this study. Maybe it's one of those things where you finally realize you're "old, but not obsolete" [- Schwarzenegger, Terminator Genisys  8)]. Back in my day [gawd freakin' darn it!!! lol], we played games for hours on end until we understood what it took to get the job done! What is PCgamer suggesting here, that today's kids would much rather let someone else gingerly take them by the hand and simply candy-coat the experience by taking away the adventure of what makes a game great?

My second rant! "Gamers who watch streams and videos have a higher average income than other gamers, and like to spend it. 'PC and console players who watch (gaming video content) spend over $70 a month on digital games and in-game content, 56 percent more than their non-viewer counterparts,' reads SuperData's press release. [-Tyler Wilde, PCgamer]". Another tell-tale sign of the times. How do you, the purveyors of the board, interpret this?

I put myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't play games on Steam. If I didn't have "Midweek Madness!" or "Weekend Deals!" sales hitting me in the face every time I opened up the Steam PC application - nor, indeed, a discovery queue - I probably wouldn't know even half of the cool games that are out there right now. Furthermore, my library wouldn't be half as strong as it is currently! Gaming video streams and advertisements may hold a much more power influence over those that don't by way more than my mind takes for granted! How should I know, though? I make decent money, but I'm also not about to spend it unwisely, know what I mean? [Ever pre-order a game that didn't instantly work with your system? Huh??? ...'s alright. So have I. lol]

I wanna hear the thoughts of the community! Let's dissect this for what it's worth. Let's discuss this to see, even,  if future continuous improvement initiatives can be obtained somehow! ... or not. I dunno. Subjective, really.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
You think you're old!? I turned 42 yesterday :o

I have to admit, my being good at video games days are behind me. It took me 50 hours to properly finish Hollow Knight. This is the same person who could beat Battletoads with no warps or continues, who 1 credit cleared Smash TV, both Capcom D&D games, Contra, Super Contra, Gauntlet Legends (this was before the final update made the game impossible). Even frikin Ghosts n Goblins (and that game can go straight to hell). Name any famously difficult old game and I probably beat it. These days, more often than not, I just say "screw it, I don't have the patience or the ability to play most games today." I used to be able to channel my extreme nervousness into awesome twitch skill gaming. But now, the amount of painkillers, muscle relaxants and tranquilizers I need just to function has destroyed my gaming ability.

I'll still buy games, play them a few hours to justify spending the money, and then watch someone else play it instead. That way I can make fun of them instead of bemoaning my own lack of ability. There are exceptions of course, two or three games a year that I like enough to play to completion myself. 50 hours on Hollow Knight, 130 hours on Witcher 3, 180 hours on Dark Souls 3. And there are my go to games when I just want to play something that I don't suck at: Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, Pinball Arcade... But for the vast majority of the games I have on my PC, I've spent more time watching other people play them than I've spent playing them myself. Kinda sad, but true.

Although, even if I could still play them, I'm not sure I would. One of the major advantages to watching other people play is that you can fast forward, rewind, or just jump straight to any part in the game. That's one major advantage TV and movies had over video games for a long time. But not any more.

Finally: $70 a month on gaming!? Are you fucking kidding me!? Are they giving out free money somewhere that I don't know about? I'm a life long gamer, and I have NEVER spent that kind of money on gaming on any kind of regular basis.

EDIT: In case it wasn't obvious, I was a big fan of arcade gaming in my school years. Allow me to shamelessly plug my Top 50 coin-op games List o Crap, seen below :P

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
This absolutely describes me. I watch so much more than I actually game these days. I don't play Hearthstone in any meaningful way anymore but I still watch Kibler, Trump, & Krip daily. I've watched a heck of a lot more Total War: Warhammer than I've played. And I don't think I've even installed Civilization 6 yet while watching at least one full playthough.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:

Finally: $70 a month on gaming!? Are you fucking kidding me!? Are they giving out free money somewhere that I don't know about? I'm a life long gamer, and I have NEVER spent that kind of money on gaming on any kind of regular basis.

Really? $70 isn't much. That's basically a new release game and an add-on. I mean, this month I've bought Persona 5 ($60), Bayonetta ($20) and $8 of gems for Smite for their little racing game. And that doesn't count my impulse Humble Bundle/similar place purchases.

And frankly, I watch streams while I'm gaming, not as an "either/or" thing.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
I'm very much on the opposite side...I love being part of the interactivity, not watching it.  The only time I do is when somebody is doing something fun with it, like old time Spoony episodes, or that guy that nearly crapped himself while playing Amnesia.

What I find most intriguing about this, is how TV as the main source of media is reportedly dying off.  The reasons that were usually given as to why was that people were playing more video games/doing more internet searching, and that interactivity was replacing the passivity of television.  Now, it appears that everyone is still passive...they're just now watching other people play interactive stuff than watching the passive stuff.

Not really a critic one way or the other on it...just because I like playing them doesn't mean I want the whippersnappers not to watch...I just find it a little ironic.

My spending habits have nothing to do with enjoying games, either...my spending habits are dictated by having to work to keep my house from falling apart.  But I will say, with all honesty, that give me a gift card and a sale on GOG, and there's a lot of titles picked up in a single weekend...;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I don't think it was interactivity as much as variety. We have a device that lets you watch eagles hatch or people opening blind boxes if that's what you want to see. If there were a channel that showed people playing video games while I was growing up, I would have been tuned in constantly.

It came too late for me, though. These days, if I have time to watch a game, I have time to play one. I'll take playing them when I can.
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline attackonmemory

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
  • A Living Dance Upon Dead Minds
I thought of another twist to the "watch versus play" discussion. There's a group out there called Zeldathon that plays Zelda games & streams it as a pledge drive to raise money for charities. This strikes me as a different thing entirely; rather than just sitting around watching - not playing - video games, these guys are actively engaging their audiences to strengthen a worthy cause ... with a worthy game! If playing video games is good for nothing else than a third-person marketing perspective, then at least there's people out there taking it in the right direction, I guess.

While reviewing their site & typing this post, I've been thinking about how long it's been since I played Hyrule Warriors. Lol. I think I've got a new minor task for the day.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
The only time I watch instead of play video games is directly related to this forum: I watch if the video game is being riffed.  Retsupurae riffs bad video games, and they also riff people who stream video games.  Don't watch them much any more though, but only for a lack of time.