Author Topic: worst videogame Dungeons  (Read 270 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
worst videogame Dungeons
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:49:11 AM »
for me it is from zelda a link to the past

Palace of Darkness

Skull Woods

Ice Palace

they drove me up the wall as a kid.
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
Re: worst videogame Dungeons
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
The final dungeon in Bard's Tale 3. Let's fill the whole place with invisible teleport traps and spin traps. You don't know where you are or even which way you're facing.

Ah, ye olden days of having map stuff out yourself on graph paper. That's one thing I definitely DON'T miss.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: worst videogame Dungeons
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:03:45 PM »
I would say one of the worst I can recall is not even from an RPG.  I love the game to death, but I hated, HATED the swamp in Return to Zork.

The swamp is a series of endless rooms that all stretch out to eternity, and one wrong step kills you.  There is a way to ensure your next step is safe, but the object required to do so can be touchy to place in the right spot, and sometimes instead of using it, you walk ahead and end up killing yourself.

That's the first thing wrong with it.  The second is that you have to keep a written map of it...other than marking danger zones, there is no in-game map to help you.

Thirdly, the maze is randomly generated.  Every time.  And when I say every time, you have to enter the swamp a second time during the course of the game, and the map you just made about half an hour earlier is NO LONGER VALID.  So, if you stroll out into it thinking you can just walk the same path again, nope.  Remap and start it afresh.

Some parts of RTZ are a little unfair (you can lose valuable items or die from things you don't realize are mistakes until far too late), but that scene takes the cake.  Thankfully, the game itself is still a rather charming and fun affair.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.