Author Topic: Hair Vs. Beard  (Read 598 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Hair Vs. Beard
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 07:37:07 AM »
EDIT: Wait, did they show that scene in the Live broadcast?  I just saw mention of it earlier in the thread and wondered if they cut it out for the Encore only.

What do you think they cut?  Didn't they show the kid erasing the chalk creature?

Chalky residue was a great line.

No, the grease scene in Samurai Cop.  Looks like it did get cut from both performances.  I just saw somebody mention the scene in the "horny police woman's house," but that was the mob girlfriend, not the police woman.  It's hard to keep track, both characters are entirely interchangeable.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
One of the things that struck me after immersing myself in the new MST3K for a week is how different the tone of these two riffing projects are. The Rifftrax crew attacks their movie. MST3K (At least in its present form) tries to have fun with it. I enjoy both, so I'm not saying one of them is doing it wrong, but the transition happened so gradually with the Mike episodes I never noticed how distinct they actually are.

I've been thinking the same thing about the new MST3K, that they are being too "nice" to these movies.
I think that's why Starcrash fell flat for me, I was wanting a Rifftrax style trashing of the movie and didn't get it...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:49:47 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
One of the things that struck me after immersing myself in the new MST3K for a week is how different the tone of these two riffing projects are. The Rifftrax crew attacks their movie. MST3K (At least in its present form) tries to have fun with it. I enjoy both, so I'm not saying one of them is doing it wrong, but the transition happened so gradually with the Mike episodes I never noticed how distinct they actually are.

I've been thinking the same thing about the new MST3K, that they are being too "nice" to these movies.
I think that's why Starcrash fell flat for me, I was wanting a Rifftrax style trashing of the movie and didn't get it...

I think part of it is the difference between the movie targets.  Having seen Reptilicus and Cry Wilderness, these are movies that are poorly made, but less because the filmmakers didn't care than that they seem more to be earnest endeavors that just turned out poorly.  I would equate them as on par with Giant Spider Invasion, in that they are goofy and silly, but it's hard to fault them for trying their best and falling short.  Sure, Cry Wilderness is a weird movie, but everyone seems to be having fun in it and trying their best.

Samurai Cop pretty much deserves a thrashing because the filmmakers had no ability to take what footage they had and make something that was coherent from shot to shot, and sleazed it up as much as possible.  It's less goofy and more trashy.  For Pete's sake, you have insert shots of Wig Hair in the middle of a dimension where Real Hair was a second ago.  People aren't even in the same location as each other in the same scene, or are even in the same place they were standing seconds earlier, or even have the same voice depending on who the director had to dub that day.  Even the cut scene from the Live show had a drawer in which a gun turns into an entirely different one in the next shot.  It's not just a stupid concept, it is executed terribly and with genuine disregard for the final product, and it seems like it should be riffed in a very different way.

But attacked or not, I can now say, in all honesty, that I have seen Samurai Cop more times than The Godfather.  It may be awful, but dammit, I still love it, but in a very different way than I love, say, Ben-Hur.  It may be savaged, but sometimes a savaging can be just a little tough love. ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:24:03 AM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline attackonmemory

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
  • A Living Dance Upon Dead Minds
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 02:34:35 PM »
Let's think of it another way: The difference in riff styles can be distinct from each other, but their "differences" make them respectable contributors to the genre of riffing, in general. Rifftrax's entity has a decades-old legacy of experience and comedic precision; New MST3K is backed and written by experience while the crew of Jonah, Hampton, & Baron try to earn theirs. ( I think it's got potential, honestly!  :))

Online Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »

I think that's the Mike/Joel divide right there. That being said, Mike was doing Jim Mallon's bidding when he was at Best Brains, but he took the skills he learned and applied them to Rifftrax. However, it appears that Joel had a different vision all along from Jim's (and later Mike's).