login

Author Topic: 1114 - At the Earth’s Core - Spoiler Thread  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1093
Re: Season 11 Episode 14 Spoiler Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »

I have had the opposite response to the host segments: I thought they were over too quickly.

I'll clarify. I don't want the segments to be over faster, per say, but I want them paced better. This is mostly in reference to any segment where people on two different sets are talking to each other. Every single one of those needed faster cuts between locations. In general, though, characters wait too long to begin their lines after the last person finished theirs. Host segments with great energy from the original run have no gaps except those intentionally left for effect.

I think that would be solved by just putting the hexfield back, and having those people (even if they are greenscreened) in the same shot.

On Joel's twitter he showed this picture of Mark Hamill at the studio when they filmed MST3K:

So if he was actually there, why the hell did they just do cutaways to him on greenscreen?! They should have had him on set interacting with the Mads.

Time. It's much quicker to shoot a few lines against a green screen than it is to do a whole scene with other people. And Mark isn't exactly cheap.

But more likely it was scheduling. Notice that Jonah and Hampton are not in that picture, so they probably weren't around the day they shot Mark's scene.  I'd guess that Mark agreed to stop by when he happened to have some time, so they wrote a scene for him that wasn't dependent on anyone else' schedule.

Oh and the episode was ok. Not my favorite. I'd wager that Jonah will come back if they get a new season.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 18
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
This episode was a nice bouceback from 13.  Some solid riffing, okay host segments, great choice of a movie to riff on.

Jonah grew on me as I progressed through the season.  I've now heard enough that I can easily distinguish between Baron's Tom Servo and Hampton's Crow T. Robot now, though some greater character development (or re-development) is still needed.

Overall--I enjoyed season 11 very much, despite some of the flaws (almost all of which I think stem from cranking through the episodes at high speed, and the compromises made to achieve that).  I don't know how much season 12, if it happens, can dial back on that (given everyone's schedule constraints), but I hope production can slow down at least a little bit, to give each episode a little more breathing room.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Online Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »
This episode was a nice bouceback from 13.  Some solid riffing, okay host segments, great choice of a movie to riff on.

Jonah grew on me as I progressed through the season.  I've now heard enough that I can easily distinguish between Baron's Tom Servo and Hampton's Crow T. Robot now, though some greater character development (or re-development) is still needed.

Overall--I enjoyed season 11 very much, despite some of the flaws (almost all of which I think stem from cranking through the episodes at high speed, and the compromises made to achieve that).  I don't know how much season 12, if it happens, can dial back on that (given everyone's schedule constraints), but I hope production can slow down at least a little bit, to give each episode a little more breathing room.

Great thoughts. I hope they follow through on your suggestions.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2192
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:08 PM »
I made it! I can now say with authority that the movie choices for every episode this season were fantastic.

What really struck me was how short the adjustment period was. I figured with a new host, new bot voices, new Mads, and new sets, there would be a period where I'd have to remind myself to give it all a chance and marry this season to the previous 10 in my mind. I was already there by mid-season. There's room for improvement, of course, but there's now a distinct new era of MST3K and it fits in just fine with the other two.

In short, I'm not saying, "Let's give Jonah a chance to grow into this." I'm saying, "I really hope I get to see more MST3K with Jonah."

Online Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 03:42:55 AM »
I made it! I can now say with authority that the movie choices for every episode this season were fantastic.

What really struck me was how short the adjustment period was. I figured with a new host, new bot voices, new Mads, and new sets, there would be a period where I'd have to remind myself to give it all a chance and marry this season to the previous 10 in my mind. I was already there by mid-season. There's room for improvement, of course, but there's now a distinct new era of MST3K and it fits in just fine with the other two.

In short, I'm not saying, "Let's give Jonah a chance to grow into this." I'm saying, "I really hope I get to see more MST3K with Jonah."

Agreed. Whilst there's always room for improvement, after watching this episode, I said "MOOOOOAAR!" like a zombie. If that's the case, you know the season is a definite success!

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 192
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 03:18:04 AM »
So sad that this could be the last new episode ever.  :'(

The first half was pretty good, but we fell asleep towards the end. I would say that it was a slightly below average episode for the season.

My take on the new season: good enough, with the potential to be great if continued. Movie selection was great, host segment quality was all over the map (plus, the segments were too short/quick for some reason), and riffing delivery needs a little work.

Online Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 04:20:44 AM »
My take on the new season: good enough, with the potential to be great if continued. Movie selection was great, host segment quality was all over the map (plus, the segments were too short/quick for some reason), and riffing delivery needs a little work.

I would agree with that take.

I'm going to watch MST3K live tonight. I'll see if Jonah and Hampton have shown any improvement! :D

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »

I would agree with that take.

I'm going to watch MST3K live tonight. I'll see if Jonah and Hampton have shown any improvement! :D

What's the verdict?

My take on this ep: not the best of the season. The eating up Jonah thing feels a bit manipulative (though as parody of cliffhanger manipulation--which I hope they intend--it's cute).  I won't complain about the riffing style. I've done that.

They either cut out a lot of Caroline Munro or my memory of this film, which I'd seen before, is in error. Because all I had remembered was Caroline Munro

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 240
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
Iron Curtain, I found the other thread on live shows and your opinion there  :).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:22:45 PM by losingmydignity »

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3787
Re: 1114 - At the Earth’s Core - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 03:19:28 AM »
Just curious... was watching this on the MST3K Blu-ray, and noticed some visual similarities between some of those in the film and others not in the film.  Not sure if it is just me.  To anyone else:

...does Doug McClure look like Al Franken in this?

...and do the facial appliances for the Zeygarths [sp?] make them look like Chief Hopper (David Harbour) from Stranger Things?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects