Author Topic: 1113 - The Christmas that Almost Wasn’t - Spoiler Thread  (Read 2761 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 557
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Season 11 Episode 13 Spoiler Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Okay, I just started this episode (been putting it off) and straight off the bat, I have questions...

Can someone buy the north pole? (no) But assuming you could, doesn't Santa own the land outright? Santa said the Innuit gave it to him, and they were the only ones with a claim on it. How do you "buy" land when there's no one to buy it from? And lastly THERE IS NO LAND AT THE NORTH POLE.

Only 10 minutes into the episode...

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4542
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 06:35:17 AM »
Maybe the Inuits didn't give it to him, so much as sublet it and then later sold it to Snidley Whiplash.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5398
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 07:07:02 AM »
Maybe the Inuits didn't give it to him, so much as sublet it and then later sold it to Snidley Whiplash.
That's the implication I got.

It's still confusing to have Santa be dealing with such real world issues. While it's not outright stated in the film, it is still implied that he has magic. Since otherwise how does he have the material for the elves to make the toys and how does he travel from England (I think) to the North Pole and back by flying sleigh several times, as well as flying around the world to deliver the toys.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
That's the implication I got.

It's still confusing to have Santa be dealing with such real world issues. While it's not outright stated in the film, it is still implied that he has magic. Since otherwise how does he have the material for the elves to make the toys and how does he travel from England (I think) to the North Pole and back by flying sleigh several times, as well as flying around the world to deliver the toys.

and yet it's STILL less far-fetched than both Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Santa Claus. I think the comparative mundanity of The Christmas That Almost Wasn't as a Christmas Movie made it not a very good choice for MST3K, and I was especially disappointed given
A. Santa Claus is my second favorite MST3K episode, and was the first until I discovered the Final Sacrifice, and
B. the high quality (as far as riffability) of the choices of the other episodes in season 11.
I guess it's an MST3K tradition now to give them one Christmas movie. I'm sorry Jonah had to be given this one, because I really like him as a host and he deserved better.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2799
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
I thought the mundanity of property law and debt being brought against Santa Claus was a sort of low-key joke and part of the charm of the special. I really love this episode and put it right up there with the other two, which are all probably in my top 20 riffs.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 234
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
The movie itself wasn't bad, especially compared to other riffed Christmas movies. Riffing was ok and the host segments were decent.

Only one new episode left :'(

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 07:00:40 AM »
The movie itself wasn't bad, especially compared to other riffed Christmas movies. Riffing was ok and the host segments were decent.

See, I said it already, but there's something about this movie that is VERY upsetting.  There are some good things: I like the idea of the children giving back to Santa (though you can argue its a kickstarter-style investment.  It would be better if the children didn't know that this would keep Santa's operation going.  I mean, I know their feelings were genuine but...) and the idea that Santa spends so much time around sleeping children (ew) that he doesn't know how awake children behave.  This latter point could have been more fun if he felt overwhelmed or was a bit disappointed at first (not understanding that children need time to learn to be good and that they sometimes misbehave) and then see what kids are really like as opposed to his idealized idea of kids.

But man, those songs are the WORST.  Especially the "looking for Prune" song.  That and the unpleasantness of the lead (who is actually the book's original author) really make it hard to watch for me.  I'm kind of happy other people find it easier than I do.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 257
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »

See, I said it already, but there's something about this movie that is VERY upsetting.  There are some good things: I like the idea of the children giving back to Santa (though you can argue its a kickstarter-style investment.  It would be better if the children didn't know that this would keep Santa's operation going.  I mean, I know their feelings were genuine but...) and the idea that Santa spends so much time around sleeping children (ew) that he doesn't know how awake children behave.  This latter point could have been more fun if he felt overwhelmed or was a bit disappointed at first (not understanding that children need time to learn to be good and that they sometimes misbehave) and then see what kids are really like as opposed to his idealized idea of kids.

But man, those songs are the WORST.  Especially the "looking for Prune" song.  That and the unpleasantness of the lead (who is actually the book's original author) really make it hard to watch for me.  I'm kind of happy other people find it easier than I do.

You've obviously never plumed the depth of vintage Italian exploitation. Nunsploitation, Fulci films, cannibal stuff, creepy Exorcist ripoffs. This Xmas movie is kid's stuff. Literally though, I guess.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 05:08:35 AM »
I've seen some Fulci.  And I feel like the Italians have master unpleasant leads.  But maybe because its a kid's film, this makes the unpleasantness stand out even more to me.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 354
Re: 1113 - The Christmas that Almost Wasn’t - Spoiler Thread
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
Wow that was rough. Such a weird idea for a film, expected a few more Riddler gags. The baby gags were on point though.

Apparently the writers didn't understand the difference between itching powder and a stink bomb.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »
Something I completely missed every time I've watched it: in the last sketch, everyone is wearing the wrong sweater.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
This movie is so depressing mainly because Santa is completely depressing.