Author Topic: 1106 - Starcrash - Spoiler Thread  (Read 3520 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Season 11 Episode 6 Spoiler Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

BTW, Starcrash is the first and only MST3K movie I have ever seen in a theater when it was originally released. ( A double feature with Moonraker )

That's a real nutso double feature.  It feels like you could see those as a double feature again, but only as a weird midnight movie show for cult nuttiness.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »

That's a real nutso double feature.  It feels like you could see those as a double feature again, but only as a weird midnight movie show for cult nuttiness.

Not really. Back before multiplexes sucked most of the fun out of going to a movie, double features were standard with new releases ( except for blockbusters ). Theaters put a lot of thought into what B movie they would book.  Moonraker was a Star Wars rip-off, so they paired it with another Star Wars rip-off. They were doing this to the end. When I saw Footloose it was paired with Flashdance.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
Somewhat off topic, this suddenly makes me want to buy an old, abandoned theater, fix it up and run double features in it.

Not that I have the business sense or the money to pull that off, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 559
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
"In space, no one can hear you scream, 'cause it's so damn loud"

"It's a glow in the dark star","Aren't all stars glow in the dark?"

"My resolution is to act like I knew what was gong to happen right after it happens."

"Does that count as driving them insane?"

Seriously, what was the deal with Actin? At the start of the movie he seems completely normal. Then like a third of the way through he just starts manifesting powers and knowledge for no apparent reason

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 348
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »

I'm currently riffing a space serial with VERY noisy space scenes, and this joke made me ashamed I never thought of it. It's great in a lot of ways.
They made a five-minute song seventeen times longer. We're cutting it down to size. The QuipTrack for The Christmas Shoes is AVAILABLE NOW at QuipTracks.com.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5400
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »

Seriously, what was the deal with Actin? At the start of the movie he seems completely normal. Then like a third of the way through he just starts manifesting powers and knowledge for no apparent reason
I wondered about that too. I figured maybe I hadn't been paying enough attention, since by that point I was just so bored by the movie.
It's a case where, had they been more angry at the movie, they probably would have commented more on that. It makes me wish this was riffed at around Season 8, because then this would have been an all-time classic episode. As it is, it's just okay in my opinion.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »

I'm currently riffing a space serial with VERY noisy space scenes, and this joke made me ashamed I never thought of it. It's great in a lot of ways.

That riff really killed me. Loved it.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 82
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
A pretty good riff of one of my favorite bad movies, though they didn't have quite as good a time with it as I'd hoped.  Pretty 'meh' on the Seinfeld pop-in, but otherwise liked the host segments, particularly the episode conclusion.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 82
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »
It's a case where, had they been more angry at the movie, they probably would have commented more on that. It makes me wish this was riffed at around Season 8, because then this would have been an all-time classic episode. As it is, it's just okay in my opinion.

Didn't Mystery Fandom Theater 3000 riff this one, a long time ago?
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »
Pretty 'meh' on the Seinfeld pop-in.

Glad you liked it more than my did.  I like Seinfeld OK, but this sketch was pretty damned weak.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 234
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Good solid episode. This was the one that I was really looking forward to, having seen StarCrash before. Not great, but really good.

What's the deal with frame rate issues (which shows up as jumpiness when panning quickly)? Why can't Rifftrax or the new MST3K solve that?

Bonus actor appearance: the tight gray shirt wearing, computer using, bald thug from Future Force.

We loved how Stella Star's (why not "Luna Moon"?) outfits would inexplicably change every time the scene changed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:14:25 AM by eegah »

Offline tgeorgic

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 06:30:56 AM »
Bonus actor appearance: the tight gray shirt wearing, computer using, bald thug from Future Force.

he was also Jake in Sidehackers (suddenly realized I had typed in the wrong biker movie last night before I fell asleep)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:03:38 PM by tgeorgic »

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 234
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:22 PM »
Good solid episode. This was the one that I was really looking forward to, having seen StarCrash before. Not great, but really good.

After a second viewing, I'm less enamored with this one. Still good, but it seems like they could've done better considering the great material that they had to work with.