Author Topic: Smart TVs still lagging streaming boxes.  (Read 452 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Smart TVs still lagging streaming boxes.
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:14 AM »
 I thought by now the computers in TVs would be just as good as what's in a little streaming stick device, but nope, I paid an extra $60 for a slightly better "Smart" part on the Samsung Smart TV I put in my kitchen, but after 3 months of using it I've gotten fed up with how slow it is starting up Netflix or Amazon and the slow response when scrolling through content.

So, went and got a Roku stick last night, the little $50 device is far better than the TV...  Even the smaller first generation Amazon Fire Stick I have on my upstairs TV is better than the apps on the new smart TV.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Smart TVs still lagging streaming boxes.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:13:54 AM »
I haven't tried any of those devices yet..
I'm still using a dedicated computer and my HDTV as a huge monitor to watch what ever I want on the internet or backed up on my hard drive..

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:22:37 AM »
I've yet to see a smart tv interface that I liked.  Roku is much easier to navigate.  But I also have a small computer I built hooked up to my living room tv for those things that aren't available on the roku. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
The Samsung interface is fine, but the lag between pressing a button on the remote and what happens on screen is frustrating.  Not knowing if you pressed the button or if it's just slow makes you jump past what you want or go to the wrong menu.

For stuff not on the Roku or Fire TV I've got a really long HDMI cable that I connect up to my laptop, in my new media room I'm sitting so close to the TV that I can put the laptop in my lap, before I had gotten a wireless keyboard and put the laptop under the TV.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
I have a Toshiba smart TV now. I like the ability to quickly throw a youtube video I look up on my phone to the TV, but other than that I don't use the smart features much. Mostly still streaming through my playstation.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
Speaking of Roku (I have never utilized the features on my TV; it is reportedly Smart, but I've never given it an exam...;)), I was thinking of getting one as an alternative to cable (Hulu and Netflix address most, but not all of my TV habits), and was just seeing if it is what I would be looking for.  I have a few internet shows that claim they play over Roku and it would be nice to see them on the big screen, but I'm also interested in some live TV, especially if I can watch local channels for sports stuff (baseball season coming up).  Does it do all that, and how is the usual quality delivered?
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
Speaking of Roku (I have never utilized the features on my TV; it is reportedly Smart, but I've never given it an exam...;)), I was thinking of getting one as an alternative to cable (Hulu and Netflix address most, but not all of my TV habits), and was just seeing if it is what I would be looking for.  I have a few internet shows that claim they play over Roku and it would be nice to see them on the big screen, but I'm also interested in some live TV, especially if I can watch local channels for sports stuff (baseball season coming up).  Does it do all that, and how is the usual quality delivered?

Is your local baseball on a broadcast channel?  If it's on a cable channel like Comcast Sportsnet then you are out of luck.  I've seen very few Phillies games since dropping down to limited basic channels a bunch of years ago.  I tried MLB TV for a while but they still black out live coverage of local games, watching the game after it's done just didn't work out so I just listen on the radio these days.  People claim you can get around the blackouts using a VPN, but that's another monthly cost.

Sling TV streams some local broadcast channels, the cheapest package is $20 a month that might include one or 2 local channels, and you can add some more local channels if available for I think $5 more.

For broadcast channels have you tried an antenna to see what you can pick up?

As for the picture quality, I mostly use Netflix and Amazon and the HD streams look about as good as most cable TV HD streams, so a step down from Blu-Ray quality.  Sometimes if the internet is having issues things can drop down to DVD quality but that doesn't happen that often.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »
:( My baseball is usually on Fox Sports Detroit, which is a cable network.  I'd probably still need MLB.TV...or just listen to the games on the radio still.  Rats.

I have other things a Roku box would be nice to see, so it sounds like it would be a nice investment otherwise.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
:( My baseball is usually on Fox Sports Detroit, which is a cable network.  I'd probably still need MLB.TV...or just listen to the games on the radio still.  Rats.

I have other things a Roku box would be nice to see, so it sounds like it would be a nice investment otherwise.

SlingTV does carry a lot of FOX channels, so check their website, you can try a week for free to see if the channel gets blacked out during live games. You would have to look at the $5 add-on local sports package for your area.  Sling has an app for PC and smartphones so you could try it before getting the Roku box or Roku Stick.

The Roku Stick is a pretty good deal, my only complaint about it is it comes with a slightly cheaper remote than the boxes, but since I'm only using it on the kitchen TV it doesn't matter that much.  And I was glad it was able to run getting power from the USB port on the TV, I have the TV mounted up high near the ceiling so would have needed a much longer USB cable to power it from the outlet near the floor.