Author Topic: Rifftrax that are no longer available  (Read 2135 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Rifftrax that are no longer available
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
It seemed like we should maintain a list of the Rifftrax that have disappeared from the website (due to rights issues or whatever). I know I'd like to take extra care with my downloaded video files, so that I never lose them (i.e., make multiple copies).

Dr. Who and the Daleks
Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
Megaforce
Hawk the Slayer
Birdemic (studio VOD only)
The Wizard

I'll try to keep this first post up-to-date.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:01:19 AM by MrTorso »

Offline majorjoe23

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
Re: Rifftrax that are no longer available
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
Megaforce seems to be gone.

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
Hawk the Slayer is gone. Guarding that file with my life.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
Wow. A good argument for buying them as they come out! The Dr Who ones aren't my favourites, but the other three are fantastic!
FINE

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
Granted they got yanked right away but you can't get the RiffTrax Presents of those Phase II Star Trek's anymore. World Enough & Time and To Serve All My Days.

Nevermind!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:02:47 PM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:19:36 PM »
Really? I can't imagine any reason those would get pulled.... unless they thought they would get pulled into the Paramount/Star Trek fan fiction fracas.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
Had something to do with the fact that the episodes could be given out for free, but never sold.  That was their agreement with Paramount. They felt the Rifftrax Presents violated that by including the video. You can still get the mp3s, though.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:45:32 PM »
Rifftrax should announce this on their website...it might sell a few more units if people knew that the offer to buy expires on X date.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:53:59 PM by CHF01 »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »
Had something to do with the fact that the episodes could be given out for free, but never sold.  That was their agreement with Paramount. They felt the Rifftrax Presents violated that by including the video. You can still get the mp3s, though.

I take that back.  There is some bad filtering/sorting on the website. When you go to just RiffTrax Presents they don't show up. You have to actually search for it.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline The Trout

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Electro-Syntho-Magnetic
    • Troutcave Comics
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »
Rifftrax should announce this on their website...it might sell a few more units if people knew that the offer to buy expires on X date.

I can guarantee that, given warning, I'd buy a crapton of about to expire Rifftrax videos that I wouldn't otherwise be motivated to for other reasons.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »
I assume the others were just normal rights expiring, but Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was sudden probably due to them never having the rights to begin with.

It would certainly make sense for them to give a heads up.
FINE

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 07:32:07 AM »
I'm not sure I understand why everyone is so nervous about losing their downloaded files. While these particular riffs may be no longer available to PURCHASE for those who didn't previously, they're still showing up in my library and I can still download the files any time I want. And that includes Wizards. Did others actually lose the purchases from their online library?

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
I'm not sure I understand why everyone is so nervous about losing their downloaded files. While these particular riffs may be no longer available to PURCHASE for those who didn't previously, they're still showing up in my library and I can still download the files any time I want. And that includes Wizards. Did others actually lose the purchases from their online library?

My files purchased before Rifftrax may have lost licensing are still intact. I don't believe there is any danger of losing what you've purchased. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a line item in their contracts with movie distributors about paying customers retaining their purchased item for as long as Rifftrax is a business.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:21:04 PM by CHF01 »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
I would be concerned, however, with knowing when things will expire so that I can acquire said things. I have a big backlog that I'm trying to work through chronologically, but if I'd known the Dr. Whos would be going away, I would have bought them sooner.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
I would be concerned, however, with knowing when things will expire so that I can acquire said things. I have a big backlog that I'm trying to work through chronologically, but if I'd known the Dr. Whos would be going away, I would have bought them sooner.

yeah...I bet Disney makes a billion whenever they say "going back in the vault!"