Author Topic: LoC #101 - Top 50 Box Office Flops  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
LoC #101 - Top 50 Box Office Flops
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »
Top 52 Box Office Bombs

Every now and then a movie comes around so fantastic, the entire world takes notice and floods theater seats with their support.

This is not about those movies.

This is for the movies that nailed the fantastic part, but just couldn't coax the people into the land of overpriced concessions and free air conditioning. Those movies that you watch and wipe a tear from your eye (Probably after watching it on home video) and want to shout, "Why didn't people watch this!?" Here are those hidden gems, sleeper hits, and cult favorites in our hundred and first List of Crap.

Here's the ol' Cut n' Paste!

Participants were asked to send a list of their 25 favorite Box Office Bombs. 8 ballots were received with 121 unique entries, and those were ranked on a point system allowing 25 points for a #1 choice, 24 for a #2, and all the way down to 1 point for #25. The points were added up, and what follows are the selections.

Tiebreakers work like such: If two movies have equal pointage, the movie that appeared on the most lists ranks higher. If those movies appeared on the same amount of lists, then the movie ranked higher on the individual list got the higher spot. A movie that was someone's #4 beats another person's #6, for example. If there was still a tie, then the one with more top votes got the bump. (2 #3 votes beat out 1 #3 vote) And then if the movie was still tied, alphabetical order reigned supreme.

Without further ado, enjoy the top 50 Box Office Bombs!
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC #101 - Top 50 Box Office Flops
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »
#52 – The Pirates of Penzance

(19 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #7 - CJones

The swashbuckling adventure. The fabulous fun. The rollicking romance.

Release Date: February 18, 1983
Budget: ?
Box Office: $694,497
Opening Weekend Rank: #14

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:

The Pirates of Penzance is a 1983 British-American romantic musical comedy film written and directed by Wilford Leach based on Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera of the same name. The film, starring Kevin Kline, Angela Lansbury, Linda Ronstadt, George Rose, and Rex Smith, is an adaptation of the 1980 Joseph Papp production of Pirates. The original Broadway cast reprised their roles in the film, except that Lansbury replaced Estelle Parsons as Ruth. The minor roles used British actors miming to their Broadway counterparts. Choreography was by Graciela Daniele. It was produced by Papp and filmed at Shepperton Studios in London.

What went wrong? Theater owners boycotted The Pirates of Penzance because Universal Pictures released it simultaneously to theaters and to subscription television services SelecTV and ONTV.

Pak's Thoughts – So normally, I try to find something to say about every entry in a list that I host. However, due to the very nature of this list, I haven’t seen very many of the movies that made the cut. As a result, I’m reserving the right to simply say, “Haven’t seen it.” (As is the case, here. But I HAVE seen the musical it’s based on. Good times!) I’ll leave it up to the people who HAVE seen it to chime in and wax poetic about their entries, and I’ll chime in whenever I have anything to say. And on with the show!
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »
#51– Mutiny on the Bounty

(19 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #7 – George-2.0

The greatest adventure ever lived becomes the greatest adventure ever filmed!

Release Date: November 8, 1962
Budget: $19 Million
Box Office: $13,680,000
Opening Weekend Rank: ????

Mutiny on the Bounty is a 1962 American epic historical drama film starring Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard and Richard Harris, based on the novel Mutiny on the Bounty by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall.
The film retells the 1789 real-life mutiny aboard HMAV Bounty led by Fletcher Christian against the ship's captain, William Bligh. It is the second American film to be made from the novel, the first being Mutiny on the Bounty (1935). It was directed by Lewis Milestone, who replaced Carol Reed early in the production schedule, and it turned out to be Milestone's final film.
The screenplay was written by Charles Lederer (with uncredited input from Eric Ambler, William L. Driscoll, Borden Chase, John Gay and Ben Hecht). The score was composed by Bronisław Kaper.
Mutiny on the Bounty was filmed in the Ultra Panavision 70 widescreen process, the first motion picture so credited. It was partly shot on location in the South Pacific.

What went wrong? Behind the scenes, Marlon Brando effectively took over directing duties himself and caused it to become far behind schedule and over budget — resulting in director Carol Reed pulling out of the project and being replaced by Lewis Milestone who is credited as director of the picture. The film was heavily panned, and was considered a box office bomb, having lost over $6 million.

Pak's Thoughts – Haven’t seen it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
#50 – Metropolis

(19 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #7 - Stethacantus

There can be no understanding between the hands and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator.

Release Date: May 6, 1927
Budget: 5,100,000 Reichsmarks
Box Office: 75,000 Reichsmarks
Opening Weekend Rank: Nobody was keeping score in the ‘20s.

Metropolis is a 1927 German expressionist epic science-fiction drama film directed by Fritz Lang. He and his wife, Thea von Harbou, wrote the silent film, which starred Gustav Fröhlich, Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel and Rudolf Klein-Rogge. Erich Pommer produced it in the Babelsberg Studios for Universum Film A.G.. It is regarded as a pioneering work of the science-fiction genre in movies, being among the first feature-length movies of the genre.

Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia and follows the attempts of Freder, the wealthy son of the city's ruler, and Maria, a poor worker, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classes of their city. Filming took place in 1925 at a cost of approximately five million Reichsmarks. The art direction draws influence from Bauhaus, Cubist and Futurist design.

What went wrong? Metropolis was met with a mixed reception upon release. Critics found it pictorially beautiful and lauded its complex special effects, but accused its story of naiveté. H. G. Wells accused it of "foolishness, cliché, platitude, and muddlement about mechanical progress and progress in general." He faulted Metropolis for its premise that automation created drudgery rather than relieving it, wondered who was buying the machines' output if not the workers, and found parts of the story derivative of Shelley's Frankenstein, Karel Čapek's robot stories, and his own The Sleeper Awakes. Wells called Metropolis "quite the silliest film." The film's extensive running time also came in for criticism, as well as its alleged Communist message. Metropolis was cut substantially after its German premiere, removing a large portion of Lang's original footage.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
#49– Playtime

(20 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #6 – Stethacantus

Release Date: December 16, 1967
Budget: Some sources have the budget at 17 million francs.
Box Office: ?
Opening Weekend Rank: ?

Playtime (sometimes written PlayTime or Play Time) is a 1967 French comedy film directed by Jacques Tati. In Playtime, Tati again plays Monsieur Hulot, a character who had appeared in his earlier films Mon Oncle and Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot. As mentioned on the production documentary that accompanies the Criterion Collections DVD of the film, by 1964 Tati had grown ambivalent towards playing Hulot as a recurring central role. Unable to dispense with the popular character altogether, Hulot appears intermittently in Playtime, alternating between central and supporting roles.
Playtime was made from 1964 through 1967. Shot in 70 mm, the work is notable for its enormous set, which Tati had built specially for the film, as well as Tati's trademark use of subtle, yet complex visual comedy supported by creative sound effects; dialogue is frequently reduced to the level of background noise.
Playtime is considered Tati's masterpiece, as well as his most daring work.

What went wrong? One reason for the film's commercial failure may have been Tati's insistence that the film be limited to those theaters equipped with 70 mm projectors and stereophonic sound (he refused to provide a 35 mm version for smaller theaters). For another, audiences worldwide had come to love Tati's films for the character of M. Hulot; his reduction to an intermittent, occasionally supporting role in the new Tati film came as a disappointment to many (Tati himself lampooned the phenomenon in two scenes in Playtime, where a rain-coated pedestrian whose back is turned to the audience is mistakenly hailed as Hulot, the first being English and the second African-American). Others disliked its nearly plotless story line, while those who only saw a single showing frequently missed the intricate, sometimes simultaneous comic sight gags performed in the various group scenes. A final reason for the film's poor reception may have been its release date; while the film's satire of modern life may have been cutting-edge when first conceptualized in 1959, by the end of 1967 such themes were old-hat to film audiences.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
#48– Kung Pow! Enter the Fist

(20 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #6 – ColeStratton

From The Director Of ''Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls'' (That was seriously the only Tagline I could find in English! – Pak)

Une Parodie Au Pays Du Kung Fu.

Release Date: January 25, 2002
Budget: $10 Million
Box Office: $16,994,625
Opening Weekend Rank: #9

Kung Pow! Enter the Fist is a 2002 American martial arts comedy film that parodies Hong Kong action cinema. Written, directed by and starring Steve Oedekerk, it uses footage from the 1976 Hong Kong martial arts movie Tiger and Crane Fist (also called Savage Killers), along with new footage shot by Oedekerk, to create an original, unrelated plot.

What went wrong? Couldn’t fill the seats. Thanks to a low budget, it managed to make a modest profit. Kung Pow! Enter the Fist received an 11% 'rotten' rating on Rotten Tomatoes,[2] as well as an average score 14 out of 100 on Metacritic. Despite this, the movie has garnered a strong cult following, receiving a positive reaction from viewers because of its camp style and silly, over-the-top humor and its lampooning of the traditionally poorly dubbed English releases of Hong Kong kung fu films which themselves have a strong cult following. Its Metacritic user review page has an average score of 8.8 (out of 10).

Pak's Thoughts – Haven’t seen it, although this is certainly more my speed. I really need to get around to it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »
#47– Viridana

(21 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #5 – George-2.0

You may not like VIRIDIANA,,,You may very well hate it. You may find it too shocking. BUT THIS WE GUARANTEE - VIRIDIANA will shock your senses like nothing else you have ever seen in a theatre!

Release Date: March 19, 1962
Budget: ????
Box Office: ????
Opening Weekend Rank: ????

Viridiana is a 1961 Spanish-Mexican film directed by Luis Buñuel and produced by Gustavo Alatriste. It is loosely based on Halma, a novel by Benito Pérez Galdós.

Viridiana, a young novice about to take her final vows as a nun, accedes to a request from her widowed uncle to visit him. Moved purely by a sense of obligation, she does so. Her uncle is moved by her resemblance to his late wife to attempt to seduce Viridiana, and tragedy ensues. In the aftermath, Viridiana tries to assuage her guilt by creating a haven for the destitute folk who live around her uncle's estate. But from these good intentions, too, comes little good.

What went wrong? It lived up to its tagline. Today Viridiana is regarded by many critics as a masterpiece; reception was not. however, as adamantly positive on initial release. After the film was completed and sent by the Spanish cinematographic authority to the Cannes Film Festival, and awarded, the government of Francisco Franco tried unsuccessfully to have the film withdrawn and banned its release in Spain. L'Osservatore Romano, the official newspaper of the Vatican, described the film as "blasphemous." The film was released there in 1977, after Franco's death, when Buñuel was seventy-seven years old. However, the film was acclaimed at Cannes, winning the Palme d'Or. Buñuel later said that "I didn’t deliberately set out to be blasphemous, but then Pope John XXIII is a better judge of such things than I am".

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:10 AM »
#46– Electric Dreams

(21 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #5 – Stethacantus

The most unusual triangle in the history of love: a boy, a girl, and a computer.

Release Date: July 20, 1984
Budget: 5.5 Million
Box Office: $2,467,664

Electric Dreams is a 1984 American-British science fiction romantic comedy-drama film set in San Francisco, California, that depicts a love triangle between a man, a woman and a personal computer. It stars Lenny Von Dohlen, Virginia Madsen, Maxwell Caulfield, and the voice of Bud Cort and was directed by Steve Barron. It was the first film released by the Virgin Films production company.

The film's credits dedicate it to the memory of UNIVAC I.

What went wrong? Didn’t make its budget back. Director Steve Barron later said when he made the film there was a prejudice against video clip directors doing drama, and since Electric Dreams "was a little bit like an extended music video... I didn't help that cause in a lot of ways. (laughs)".

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »
That'll do for your first taste. Read and discuss! :^)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »
The only one of these I've seen is Mutiny on the Bounty... and even then, I only have seen the first half.  Our city has a "movie under the stars" series and this was on it, but part way through the movie it started raining, so the event ended.

I really need to see Playtime and Metropolis.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
I found Kung Pow a little funny, but a lot of the humor was just too childish for me. So I definitely get why it would be a cult film now, but not widely received originally.

Metropolis is...visually great, but storywise both confusing and blunt in it's attempted messaging.

Electric Dreams sounds interesting.

Pirates of Penzance. I'm not that interested in musicals, but if Kevin Kline is the star I may give it a chance. I have certainly heard several of the songs already in other things, most notably Simpsons.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
What really killed Pirates of Penzance at the box office was that God awful Pirate Movie released a few months earlier.

Those of you looking to seeElectric Dreams be forewarned. It has never been released on DVD in north America. So unless you have a DVD player that plays PAL coded for England then you are out of luck. MGM held the distribution rights for America, and when they went bankrupt those rights fell into legal limbo.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »
#52 – The Pirates of Penzance

(19 Points) 1 of 8 Lists - Highest Ranking - #7 - CJones

The swashbuckling adventure. The fabulous fun. The rollicking romance.

Release Date: February 18, 1983
Budget: ?
Box Office: $694,497

I have two copies of this on VHS, and have seen it so many times I can sing most of the songs from memory (even the second verse of the Modern Major General song, which was cut). For the longest time I wondered why I seemed to be the only person who'd heard of it. Then I read about how the studio basically sabotaged it. It's definitely worth watching, especially if you like G&S.

And I had completely forgotten about the Pirate Movie. Yeah, that was God awful.

Offline Russoguru

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
I've only seen a few of these films but I'm surprised that they actually bombed. Metropolis especially since it's so fondly remembered and embraced by film lovers everywhere. well, I guess that's the 20's for you.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:21:53 PM by Russoguru »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
I've only seen a few of these films but I'm surprised that they actually bombed. Metropolis especially since it's so fondly remembered and embraced by film lovers everywhere. well, I guess that's the 20's for you.
Yeah, I won't spoil anything, but you're going to get a lot of that.