Author Topic: Professional Riffers not affiliated with MST3K?  (Read 764 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
Professional Riffers not affiliated with MST3K?
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »
I want to talk about professional comedians who riff movies who have not in any way been associated with Mystery Science Theater 3000 (i.e. have not acted in, worked for or written for the show). Note to mods: I looked at all the Rifftrax forums and I couldn't find a good place to put it, so I think this place would be the best place. If not, feel free to move it to the most appropriate forum.

An example of what I'm talking about would be this: https://www.wyattcenac.com/live-shows/2016/11/17/shouting-at-the-screen

I haven't been to one of these shows yet (I'm going to one on April 6), but this looks like exactly the thing that the revival of MST3K and Rifftrax should encourage: Professionals riffing movies by people who have nothing to do with the original project that started it all. AFAIAC, if more professional comedians do MST3K-style movie riffing, than we could enter a golden age of riffing that isn't limited to fan iRiffs or Let's Play videos of video games on YouTube.

What say you guys? You know any professional riffers in your neck of the woods to whom you'd like to give a shout-out (no relation to Shout! Factory)?

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Professional Riffers not affiliated with MST3K?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:18 AM »
Master Pancake has been operating for years now centered in Austin Texas and touring around Alamo Drafthouse locations. They have had MST3K alumni riff with them before, along with Doug Benson, who also has his own riffs called "Benson Movie Interruptions."

https://drafthouse.com/series/master-pancake
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
Master Pancake riffed Jason X? I wish I were there to see that! All this time I wanted Rifftrax to do that movie because I thought it was so terribleā€¦

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to see that one. Wish they sold MP3 versions too, but the love element is very important to a MP mock.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
I don't see why you would need to distinguish between the "professional riffers" and the groups who do iRiffs. Just because some are comedians as their primary jobs and riff on their time off, and others have regular jobs and riff on their time off.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:35 AM »
I don't see why you would need to distinguish between the "professional riffers" and the groups who do iRiffs. Just because some are comedians as their primary jobs and riff on their time off, and others have regular jobs and riff on their time off.

It's just that professional riffers, as with MST3K and Rifftrax, riff for profit.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:19:57 AM »

It's just that professional riffers, as with MST3K and Rifftrax, riff for profit.
iRiffers sell their riffs. Usually on Rifftrax or Gumroad. They just can't make a living doing riffing. And I don't think any of the other riffing groups can either. Only Rifftrax and MST3K are popular enough.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »

iRiffers sell their riffs. Usually on Rifftrax or Gumroad. They just can't make a living doing riffing. And I don't think any of the other riffing groups can either. Only Rifftrax and MST3K are popular enough.
I still consider those iRiffers to be professionals if they sell their riffs. It's just not a career for them. Just like I'm a professional chip musician (I have bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, etc. links to prove it). I just am not making enough money to justify calling it a career.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
Well, I'm not sure I can speak for anybody else, but QuipTracks is definitely trying (not succeeding) to make a career out of riffing. There are a number of groups that have been around for 10+ years now that I'd consider professionals.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »
Well, I'm not sure I can speak for anybody else, but QuipTracks is definitely trying (not succeeding) to make a career out of riffing.
Never hearduvem :P

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
Turns out Wikipedia has a list of live riffers. Here they are (Last Paragraph):

Quote from: Wikipedia
Public performances of live riffing have been hosted by various groups in different cities across the U.S. and Canada, including Cineprov (Atlanta, Georgia), Master Pancake Theater (Austin, TX), The Gentlemen Hecklers (Vancouver, BC Canada),[129] Counterclockwise Comedy (Kansas City, Missouri), FilmRoasters (Richmond, Virginia), Moxie Skinny Theatre 3000 (Springfield, Missouri), Riff Raff Theatre (Iowa City, Iowa), Twisted Flicks (Seattle, Washington), and Turkey Shoot (Metro Cinema at the Garneau, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada).[130][131][132] Canadian sketch comedy group Loading Ready Run produces the show Unskippable for The Escapist website, which applies the MST3K premise to video game cut scenes.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
I had no idea Scott Zee did Turkey Shoot shows.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »
He does? I would love to go to one of those.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
I looked into that.  It's apparently not related to Scott Zee, as far as I know.  I didn't see his name on any of the events at that theater, and the logo is different, so it appears it may be just coincidence.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.