Author Topic: Eudora Welty reference?  (Read 301 times)

Offline grimnebulin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Eudora Welty reference?
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
While browsing around today I happened to notice that a link to Eudora Welty's Wikipedia page was colored in a way indicating that I had visited the page before.  On reflection, I vaguely remember checking out the page because of a reference to her in a riff.  I can't recall which riff or even what the joke was, except that it was pretty funny.  Can anyone refresh my memory?

Incidentally, when I searched for her name right here on the forums, there were no matches, but I was told: "You may have meant to search for Adora welt."  No, I definitely wasn't looking for She-Ra BDSM fanfiction...

Offline majorjoe23

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
Re: Eudora Welty reference?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
Are you a Simpsons fan, by any chance? Krusty referenced her once, it's the only time I remember hearing her name.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:34:24 AM »
Simpsons is the first one that comes to mind to me.  Man, could that woman belch.

Offline grimnebulin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
I'm a fan of the first decade or so of the Simpsons.  Nowadays I almost never watch it except for the Halloween marathons in October.

I dug into my web browser's data files and found that I apparently visited Welty's Wikipedia page late in June of last year.  I was hoping I could match the date up with a Rifftrax purchase, but it turns out I bought quite a few riffs in the weeks prior, so not really much help there.

Although I don't remember watching the Simpsons/The Critic crossover (apparently the episode where Welty was mentioned) any time recently, I suppose it's conceivable that I did.  Ah, well.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »
Found it!

During the opening credits of <I>Santa Claus Conquers the Martians</I>, there's a credit for the screenplay, and a "Based on a story by" credit.  Tom Servo chimes in, "Adapted from the novel by Eudora Welty."

You're fortunate I was watching that episode out of season today.  You might have had to wait another eight months for someone else to stumble over it.

(Unless of course it was another Eudora Welty reference they made that you were thinking of.  No reason they would have stopped at one. ;) )
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline grimnebulin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
That's not it.  I haven't watched the original MST3K version of "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" in forever.

Just in case anyone feels like helping a guy out, here are the riffs I bought in the month prior to visiting Welty's Wikipedia page:

Don't Get Angry
Laser Mission
Live and Learn
Mutant
Neutron the Atomic Superman vs. the Death Robots
On Guard - Bunco!
Patriotism
Psycho II
Supersonic Man
The Last Shark
The Tale of Moose Baby
Three Magic Words
Voodoo Man

If I didn't actually hear about Welty from "The Simpsons," or imagine hearing her name altogether, it's probably in one of these.

"...Lentils."