Author Topic: Vol. XXXVIII  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Vol. XXXVIII
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
Next volume includes:

Invasion USA
Colossus and The Headhunters
High School Big Shot
Track of The Moon Beast

And that almost does it for the very likely releases (Except for the extremely awesome Quest of the Delta Knights...).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Vol. XXXVIII
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
The bonus disk if you order from Shout is MST3K: Play MSTie For Me Triple Decker.

Now, after years of out-of-print obscurity, the Play MSTie For Me Triple Decker DVD gathers 39 of the finest MST3K musical moments into one eminently singable package

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:56:13 AM »
Woo!  High School Big Shot.  Well, from here on in, lets hope Shout Factory continues to show how impressive they can be and get some more unexpected rights.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:47:08 AM »
I thought they threw in Play MSTie with the last set when the KTMA host segment DVD fell through.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
I thought they threw in Play MSTie with the last set when the KTMA host segment DVD fell through.
This is that "last" set. Been available for pre-order since XXXVII was released. I didn't cancel my pre-order, but was a lot more excited about it when it was going to include all of the KTMA host segments.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
Never thought we'd be this close to the complete set.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »
Yep, I wonder if this is the last set though?
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
I really hope after this time, that Shout! have at least one or two surprises for us.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
Well, of course I hope so too, I just wonder how likely it is.
FINE

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:44 AM »
Well, when they announced that they were moving the Play MSTie disc up, they made it sound like there were other new releases planned for this year.

Granted, it could be a volume of previously released singles, but you never know.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »
I've been following the "Likelihood for Shout Factory Release List" thread over on the MST3K discussion board [ http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list ].  The speculation so far on the 14 remaining movies is like this:

"Extremely Likely or Likely": 623 - The Amazing Transparent Man, 913 - Quest of the Delta Knights

"Not Likely": 416 - Fire Maidens from Outer Space, 601 - Girls Town, 905 - The Deadly Bees, 906 - The Space Children, 1013 - Danger! Diabolik.  Fire Maidens, Deadly Bees, and Space Children rights are currently held by Olive Films (as part of a deal with Paramount), while Girls Town and Diabolik are licensed from Paramount by Warner Bros.  Shout could work (or be working on) a deal with Olive.  Warner's deal with Paramount expires this year sometime -- I think some news may be announced around March 28th.  Shout could swoop in then, or Warner could choose to re-up and make it more difficult.

"Extremely Unlikely": 201 - Rocketship X-M, 213 - Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, 309 - The Amazing Colossal Man, 311 - It Conquered the World, 418 - Attack of the The Eye Creatures, 807 - Terror from the Year 5000, 809 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf.  Rocketship X-M appears due to the rights owner, Wade Williams, considering it to be a masterpiece which MST3K should never have besmirched, and he's so hellbent on seeing it never get released he's made arrangements to that effect even after his death.  He was perfectly cool with licensing all the other films MST3K's done commentaries on, it's just this one he's not bending on.  The Godzilla films (both Sea Monster and any possible Megalon rerelease) are because Toho's determined never to allow it.  The remaining 5 are owned by Susan Hart, who appears to be holding out for gonzo bucks, or there's some kind of litigation going, or something like that.  (If it's money, I appreciate the argument that Shout could pony up more for the rights, but even Shout must have only so much pony in them, and speculation is she's asking for All The Pony Plus The Barn.)

So... one more set, I think, maybe two if Shout can get all the Paramount titles.  After that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My debut dark fantasy novel, Brutal Light, available once more: http://brutallight.garywolson.com

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 11:39:21 AM »
The remaining 5 are owned by Susan Hart, who appears to be holding out for gonzo bucks, or there's some kind of litigation going, or something like that.  (If it's money, I appreciate the argument that Shout could pony up more for the rights, but even Shout must have only so much pony in them, and speculation is she's asking for All The Pony Plus The Barn.

There are two arguments on this, both of which have some merit:
1. Susan just wants lots of money.  Fair enough, but it does suck in terms of getting this stuff back out and published in ANY form, which seems like a backwards policy to have.
2. When Susan got her husband's half of the company, the guy who owned the other half somehow weaseled the rights in a way that made them hard to release.  Only within the past two years have some of those issues been worked out, and evidence suggests she has been a little more flexible.  Not sure if she's still asking a lot of money or not, but in this instance, she's not being unreasonable in releasing the film rights...she just hasn't been able to do so properly until recently.

All I know is, I am getting the next set, regardless of what's in it.

EDIT: By the way, I understand Toho wants to protect its brand, but in all honesty, how much class and reverence can you really have for 7 or so movies (counting the Gameras in those) in which rubber suited actors battle each other for 90 minutes?  Matthew Bruch risked his life on the wing of an airplane so that David Giancola could make Time Chasers, and even they didn't mind getting the treatment. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:54:52 AM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Online stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
I really don't think Toho is protecting the brand name of Godzilla, but rather is insulted whenever a video company offers too little, or try to get the rights via a third party for cheaper rather than negotiating with Toho directly. Shout! could obtain the rights if the right offer is made. Something else to consider is if Toho thinks that MST3K belongs to Universal. Toho and Universal have been feuding for decades over King Kong. Toho wanted to make a second Godzilla vs Kong movie and Universal refused to allow them to use the character. So Toho went to plan B and began producing a Godzilla vs Mecha Kong movie. ( The character Toho created for King Kong Escapes ). But Universals lawyers had that production shut down. Toho wanted to release the uncut unaltered version of King Kong vs Godzilla on home video in America and Universal's lawyers stopped them. Since the MST3K movie was released by Universal, perhaps Toho thought that the series was also Universal property and retaliated. Recently fences were mended between Toho and Universal so the upcoming Godzilla vs Kong movie could be made.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:56:56 PM by stethacantus »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
Did I see someone say they got coasters in their set from Shout?

Mine arrived today but no coasters for me. :(

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Got mine today...no coasters