Author Topic: Now Available - Replica  (Read 706 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Now Available - Replica
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »

http://www.rifftrax.com/replica

First we riffed Birdemic, directed by James Nguyen. That wasn’t enough, so we went on to riff Julie and Jack, also directed by James Nguyen. Somehow, inexplicably, we still wanted more, but thought there was no more to want. Thankfully, in the name of all that is good and slrpnl-y, we were wrong. There WAS more, and we got it, and released it for the first time anywhere: the missing piece in the Nguyen film-verse, REPLICA! We brought it to the world, raw and pure, and now we’ve riffed it, because that’s what we do.

The bar is impossibly high, but Replica might just be the strangest of the Nguyen trilogy. Yes, we’re using the term trilogy, because there is no term for “set of 3 movies with the same basic nonsense plot and characters but slightly different Hitchcock-inspired science fiction premise each time.” All the tropes are here: cars gradually pulling out of a very familiar driveway, office meetings about business deals with large round figures, dates between charmless humans who seem to be learning to speak for the first time. But this time, instead of birds angry about global warming or virtual reality romance snafus, the issue is CLONING. Human organ cloning, whole human cloning, all handled with the scientific accuracy and moral sensitivity we’ve come to expect from this film auteur. And happening on digital “sets” less realistic than a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper. Complete with performances by some of our favorites in the Nguyen repertoire of actors, like Nathalie’s mom, that one business guy, and footage of Tippi Hedren playing on a TV during a scene!

Helping bring Replica to light may be either the greatest or worst thing we’ve ever done for the world. History will judge that, all you have to do is sit back and laugh at the madness and the glory, riffed by Mike, Bill, and Kevin!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Now Available - Replica
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
Downloading now! Can hardly wait!
FINE

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »
Most notable of all the cameos is the orthologist guy! Sadly, our "hero" in this movie doesn't have a pervy best friend. Or, seemingly, any friends.  Given his stalker-y behavior though, maybe that's not too surprising.

Also, sex scenes in bikinis!  Shots of TV screens!

People sitting at nicely appointed dinner tables!

Clumsy walking!

Awkward dates in non-specific restaurants that move to a beach and then to famous San Francisco landmarks!

Silent exclamations of joy to one's self!

All of the classing Nguyen elements are here!

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
Wow this was funny. Another 10 and only two riffs so far this year.
Please enjoy the official LMD Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/v/0yID8Xb7qKM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

And buy my first riff of The Return of Chandu, Chapter 11 and all the Chandu iriffs or I will never "like" your re-authoring posts again.

Offline Vic_Arpeggio

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:46 PM »
Hey guys, is the image supposed to be 4x3? The picture looks squashed most of the time, as if it was an anamorphic 16x9 image squeezed into a 4x3 frame. James Nguyen movies are bad, true, but this one's actually really hard to watch visually because of this squeezing. 

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
Hey guys, is the image supposed to be 4x3? The picture looks squashed most of the time, as if it was an anamorphic 16x9 image squeezed into a 4x3 frame. James Nguyen movies are bad, true, but this one's actually really hard to watch visually because of this squeezing.

The fact that it switches back and forth makes me pretty sure it is down to the director's incompetence.
FINE

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
It does switch back and forth. I revisited it and a new version should be up soon.

Another thing I noticed is that he will shoot his actors in 16x9 over a CGI background that is square pixel. It's all over the place and maddening.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:22:46 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
It does switch back and forth. I revisited it and a new version should be up soon.

Another thing I noticed is that he will shoot his actors in 16x9 over a CGI background that is square pixel. It's all over the place and maddening.

Wait, so it's meant to be 16x9?
FINE

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 07:42:47 AM »
Well, it's not meant to EXIST. But yes...sort of...I guess...it's "supposed" to be 16x9.

Edit: I'm told that the updated version is live.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:32:36 AM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Rabbi Hi-Keeba

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 06:00:10 AM »
So, in Nguyen's world, does every woman on Earth just happen to own a cheongsam?