Author Topic: Have they done any shorts YOU remember seeing in school as a kid?  (Read 847 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Tooth Truth with Harv and Marv is one, and I'm watching the MST3K Reunion show and the very first short in that one is one I remember. The one about teaching kids to be careful crossing streets, etc.

I'm gonna be 34 in a couple months, so I'm JUST old enough that they were still showing these kinds of messed up films to use when I was really, really little, like kindergarten/first grade.

I also find it amazing how something that obscure can just lay dormant in your brain for decades and you see it again and it's like a ! appears over your head and you get that Metal Gear Solid alert sound.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:06:35 PM by NRRork »
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
Re: Have they done any shorts YOU remember seeing in school as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
It's weird, but I'm old enough to have probably seen many of these shorts but there's never one I could definitely remember seeing. I get deja vu quite a bit but I'm never certain.
Please enjoy the official LMD Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/v/0yID8Xb7qKM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

And buy my first riff of The Return of Chandu, Chapter 11 and all the Chandu iriffs or I will never "like" your re-authoring posts again.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »
they haven't done a single national film board of canada short yet. :angry:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline emperorcupcake522

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
I don't remember watching it specifically, but Courtesy Counts a Lot rings a vague, ominous bell.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
I haven't actually seen a short I saw in school riffed (the closest I've ever gotten to that is Hobgoblins in the MST days, which I saw years before they made fun of it), though there are a number of ones I saw that wouldn't be out of place in the lineup.  The only concern was most of the worst were health class ones about diseases that are still touchy even today, but considering they did a Rifftrax on a short about syphilis where a baby dies offscreen, a video in which white blood cells and other diseases are depicted as guys in body suits wearing ant-looking heads while running around in what appears to be a 1980s neighborhood probably isn't something they would find too hard to make fun of.  I just wish I could remember the name of that one...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
I'm surprised Rifftrax hasn't riffed Hemo the Magnificent yet.

I remember years ago I took a tractor driving training class through 4H and there were several very over the top gorey safety videos. I'd love to see them riffed.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:48:23 AM »
I'm about the age when Harv and Marv were probably been shown in schools, but we never watched on anything on film besides filmstrips, I went to school during the VHS era. A lot of things that I saw in class were just recorded off the local PBS station. Some things we watched were laserdiscs by publishers of the textbook the school used and I don't know anyone personally who had a laserdisc player in their home during the 90s. Never even saw a film projector in elementary school. I also remember watching some things that I think might have been after school specials from the 70s during middle school (during the 90s). Were Harv and Marv ever released on VHS? I doubt most of things I watched in school on VHS are public domain but the rights might be cheap
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:26:24 PM by pstokely »

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:35 AM »

I remember years ago I took a tractor driving training class through 4H and there were several very over the top gorey safety videos. I'd love to see them riffed.

Shake Hands with Danger?

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:40 AM »
Tooth Truth with Harv and Marv is one, and I'm watching the MST3K Reunion show and the very first short in that one is one I remember. The one about teaching kids to be careful crossing streets, etc.

I'm gonna be 34 in a couple months, so I'm JUST old enough that they were still showing these kinds of messed up films to use when I was really, really little, like kindergarten/first grade.

I also find it amazing how something that obscure can just lay dormant in your brain for decades and you see it again and it's like a ! appears over your head and you get that Metal Gear Solid alert sound.

did you see Harv and Marv on film or VHS(or even beta) in school?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 05:04:49 AM »

Shake Hands with Danger?
No, it was specific to tractors. Especially the dangers of the PTO.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
Did you see Harv and Marv on film or VHS(or even beta) in school?

I couldn't tell you that. It's more like I watched these shorts from Rifftrax and it hits a certain moment where there's this sudden flash of familiarity. Like with the traffic one, it was all that talk about blind spots and stuff just was this EUREKA moment.

Like I said before, it's funny the weird things that'll stay hibernating away in your memory until something comes along and pokes it with a stick. I'm really running out of analogies here. . . it's like if. . . I wasn't able to come up with anymore offhand. . .
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline mojoplasma

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
I THINK!!! I recall the film about Mr. Bungles??? the kid who didn't wash his hands or some crap like that...
I haven't seen the complete Riff version... just the preview... but I recall a scene of a short haired blonde kid pushing his tray along those metal runners and a scene of him deciding on taking the last milk.... IF this ("Lunchroom Manners") is the same PSA short...
"Oh, Krankor blew up a potential tackler on the 40 and now there's nothing but daylight"

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
I THINK!!! I recall the film about Mr. Bungles??? the kid who didn't wash his hands or some crap like that...
I haven't seen the complete Riff version... just the preview... but I recall a scene of a short haired blonde kid pushing his tray along those metal runners and a scene of him deciding on taking the last milk.... IF this ("Lunchroom Manners") is the same PSA short...

You're definately talking about the same short, the last milk plot point was vital to it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
Mr. who?