login

Author Topic: Are You Sick of Time Travel Yet?  (Read 496 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
Are You Sick of Time Travel Yet?
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »
There will be spoilers here, so read with caution.

On the series The Flash, Barry Allen traveled into the past to try to save his mother from being murdered, and as a result accidentally created an altered time line where all the lives of the characters in the present are slightly different. This was the pitfall of time travel. Even though the Flash ultimately did not save his mother, his presence in the past created a slightly different time line that he can not fix. On the other hand, in the spin off series Legends of Tomorrow where characters from The Flash and Arrow travel through history in a time machine, kill a lot of people and blow a lot of things up, they somehow do not alter the time line. Well, unless one character meets his past self, and the end result is that he suddenly has a daughter he never had before. The first season of Legends of Tomorrow have the team traveling through time to try to kill an immortal called Vandal Savage before he takes over the Earth in the future and kills billions of people. Having succeeded, the second season had the team going through history to fix the time anomalies they created the previous season. But for some reason, even though a lot of major time anomalies exist, the present did not change until the Flash screwed things up.

It is not just The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow that has been dealing with time travel this year. NBC's new series Timeless deals with a team of time travelers who are chasing another time traveler who wants to rewrite history. And in this series, whenever the team returns from their time trips, history is always permanently changed. Which in turn results in the present being slightly different. For example, when the heroin of the show went back in time her mother was dying. In that episode the rogue time traveler prevented the Hindenburg from exploding, then had it destroyed the next day. Somehow this alteration of history not only resulted in the heroins mother being healthy, but resulted in her sister never being born.

The series Frequency also deals with the time travel paradox, but without anyone actually time traveling. Detective Peyton List discovers she is able to communicate with her dead father ( also a police detective ) via his old ham radio. So basically when she talks into the radio in 2016, he receives the signal in 1996. She warns him that he is about to be killed by some drug dealers, and heeding her warning manages to survive. But somehow this alters the time line, and her mother is killed in the past by a serial killer. For the rest of the season Peyton and her father try to find the serial killer before he can kill Peyton's mother in 1997. Each week Peyton's  father acts on some sort of information she gives him from the future, resulting in the time line continuously changing and only Peyton aware it is happening.

Needless to say, with four series on at the same time dealing with the time travel paradox, there is a lot of overkill with the topic. And yet, two more time travel series are going to debut in March, and both on the same day, possibly the same time. The comedy Making History on FOX which appears to be about a couple of goofballs who invent a time traveling sleeping bag. And on ABC Time After Time which is an adaption of the movie of the same name. In it Jack the Ripper steals a time machine from H.G. Wells and travels to the present, and Wells travels through time to stop him.

Okay, so now we know what this years trend is in television shows. And aren't you sick of it already?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Are You Sick of Time Travel Yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »
Haven't seen any of these, but I'll never be sick of time travel. It's my particular favorite type of Sci-Fi gimmick. There are endless possibilities. (And yes, a few cheap cop-outs.)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Are You Sick of Time Travel Yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »
I don't mind the use of time travel as long as it's done in an intelligent way.

Just recently on The Flash they were having discussions about whether things can be changed, or are inevitable. Which of ALL shows seems the worst one to even think about this because all the characters know about Barry having already going back and changing things.

Personally I've always felt that the idea of going back in time and changing things means that you have to "cheat". Same issue with getting psychic visions of the future and being able to change it. But if you are using the laws of the universe, either known (physics) or unknown (supernatural), the information that cause you to decide to make those events were always there and part of the timeline.
I've heard that Seven uses this idea, although I haven't seen it.