Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
Well I didn't need any more convincing and I have my switch preordered. They were out of the Neon Red/Blue, so I'll have to settle for grey until I can afford different joycons. (Think I'll hold out for different colors.)

Online Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »
I've never missed a Nintendo system, but this is prohibitively expensive. The system provides for zero new kinds of gameplay possibilities. In fact, the gameplay possibilities are fewer than Wii U or 3DS. Oh, and if I want a proper D-Pad, I have to pay $70 for a pro controller? A new set of Joycons is $80? Who the hell can spend that kind of money on video games?

Especially since I can get Zelda on my Wii U, I'm passing. Maybe if I went out more and had spontaneous meet-ups with like-minded friends on rooftops adjacent to my apartment like in the trailer, the appeal would be greater.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
Well, the HD Rumble and AR Camera are going to probably add some new stuff to games, although I don't know how interested I'd be in games just built around them. And I assume Nintendo are going to have an online push if they want to sell their online service.

Few new consoles really offer a new way to play though, even if the last couple of Nintendo ones have.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »
The console living in the screen is revolutionary enough for me. I love the second screen on the Wii U, but when I want to use it, I have to play my game somewhat anchored to the TV where everyone else is watching whatever they're watching. Now I can squirrel it away to another room for a couple hours and play some Skyrim or Zelda in peace.

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
Yeah, that will mean I can play games that aren't suitable to play in front of a three year old.
FINE

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »
Not only is the app for voice chat, it handles the matchmaking and game lobbies.

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 04:11:38 AM »
"Daaaaad I need your phone! My friends wants to play Mario Kart!"  :grr:

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
The way I see it, the way the console market seems to be going is this:

1. Nintendo makes something that has some nifty innovation and gadgetry.  It makes everyone interested.
2. Nintendo turns things over to their marketing department, which seems hellbent on making weird decisions regarding price, incentives, and how to handle those new innovations and gadgetry.  In desperation, they announce the new Mario and Zelda titles to keep everyone interested.
3. The new console gets released.  Console availability becomes of grave concern.
4. Sony sees what Nintendo offers and makes something that is very similar and somewhat more advanced in comparison.  However, if sales numbers prove poor after a month, Sony abandons it like a red-headed stepchild and begins talks for the next Playstation console. 
5. Microsoft ignores Nintendo and Sony, announces new Halo and Call of Duty titles.  Sales figures seem remarkably steady for clearly not giving a crap.
6. Nintendo stays in third place, develops cult following for titles released on new console, and begins work on next innovation and gadgetry.  Pokemon remains a bestseller.

Now, the above is just being funny, and I do like seeing what Nintendo does with its new consoles, but after swapping over to Playstation almost exclusively (well, besides PC) some time ago, it does seem like Nintendo has some great ideas, but it gets bungled along the way by the company tripping over its own feet.  I haven't played a Zelda title in years (I tried to play Twilight Princess Remastered on the Wii, which I couldn't get into, and it didn't help that I'm left-handed and they swapped it around), though I know how popular they are, and it seems a shame that Nintendo's marketing department seems to believe Nintendo wants to remain a sort of niche market compared to the likes of Sony and Microsoft.  I have no animus against any of them, and if anything, I'm glad they all try different things because it makes the others rush to either do it just as well, or better.  I almost got a Wii U when it came out, but other than ZombiU (which eventually got ported anyway), I didn't see anything on it that I couldn't get anywhere else that was interesting to me.  Didn't even see fitness stuff like what the Wii had, though I may just not have been looking hard enough.

In short, I don't think I will have the cash to dole out on the Switch unless it effectively replaces the Wii (I have one now via marriage) and what it had to offer, but I certainly don't hope it falls by the wayside.  From some of the news I've seen, it looks like something unique and cool has an uphill battle against odd pricing and some weird selling points (We offer a free game a month!  A whole one!  And then after that month, we take it away and give you a NEW one!  Well, new to you if you never played the original Castlevania!).  I'll certainly give it a shot, but only after it's been out for awhile.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Microsoft ignores Nintendo? Kinect was hugely in response to what Nintendo was doing. Also, did they not famously poach one of Nintendo's biggest developers (RARE)?

(Also Twilight Princess Remastered wasn't released on the Wii - you must have played the original version)
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »
Maybe not though, because if being a lefty was an issue that seems like he is playing on the game pad rather than Wii remote and nunchuck that can easily be swapped.

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
Maybe not though, because if being a lefty was an issue that seems like he is playing on the game pad rather than Wii remote and nunchuck that can easily be swapped.

He said he didn't get a Wii U though.
FINE

Online Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
The only game that was flipped to be right-handed was the Wii version, I believe, because of the motion controls.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
I thought the Wii version was also considered a remaster and not just a re-release.  I knew it came out for the Gamecube first and then got a Wii release, but I didn't know it later came out in HD for the Wii U.

And as for the Kinect, I know Microsoft had it...most of my list was just trying to be silly, and point out how much more similar the Move controller is to the Wii controller than the Kinect Body Motion function (and the Vita, too, to the Wii U controller).  To be fair, though, at least Playstation saw an opportunity to bring back the Move controllers when VR got released.

Speaking of which, I have not heard much about the Kinect lately.  Did Microsoft kind of give that up along the way, too?
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
as soon as it became optional it was dead.