Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2170
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Nintendo Switch
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »
Thought I'd start up a thread for Nintendo Switch discussion.

My thoughts on the Nintendo Switch presentation (Probably being reran all over the youtubes):

So the controller can become 2 handheld controllers that can be strapped to the wrist and simulate holding a glass of ice right down to the number of cubes inside that glass. Do I smell VR?

I'm a lot more excited about Arms than I think most people will be. Looks like an entirely unique type of fighting game.

Mario Odyssey gives me chills. This looks like it will be up there with Galaxy.

Glad to see Splatoon has some legs (as it were). I still haven't picked up the first but that's just because so many other cool games come out that I end up getting instead. Someday, Splatoon..

Team Ninja and Koei working on a Fire Emblem Warriors game? Sign me up!

So my impression is that while this CAN be a portable system, it's more likely to be a system I take around the house when the big TV is tied up. I don't see any form of screen protection and I have no idea how the whole shebang with 2 controllers would fit in my pocket, so that's pretty much how I planned on using it anyway. Would be nice to have on vacations for playing around the Hotel room, too. I just hope we keep getting 3DS support.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2107
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:01:30 PM »
Pak, you GOTTA play Splatoon. Are you kidding me?

Mario Odyssey
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Fire Emblem Warriors

Wow!

And I have yet to dive into the Xenoblade world, but as the kid is getting older, I am starting to have a bit more free time... It could happen.

ARMS looks like a mini game in a Nintendoland style game to me though. The reviews will have to be pretty convincing...
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »
Also, I like this:

"A NintendoSwitch online service subscription will include a free NES/SNES game per month with online play enabled"
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:06:17 PM »
Pak, you GOTTA play Splatoon. Are you kidding me?
I know! It's not for lack of wanting. Got Paper Mario instead this Christmas. I need to find an excuse to splurge on a $50 game sometime between now and Switch day.

ARMS looks like a mini game in a Nintendoland style game to me though. The reviews will have to be pretty convincing...

That's the worst case scenario. I feel like if they play their cards right and if the gameplay is nuanced enough, it could do for fighting games what Splatoon seems to have done for shooters.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
That's the worst case scenario. I feel like if they play their cards right and if the gameplay is nuanced enough, it could do for fighting games what Splatoon seems to have done for shooters.

To be fair, I find most fighting games to be dull, and all of them to be played out after a few hours. I never really got the appeal.
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:58:19 AM »
Is it a game you can keep beyond the month? I sure hope so. Saw a bunch of buzz on twitter that people thought it was basically a 1 month rental.

Hoping the Lego city port does well enough for them to make a sequel. Such a great game.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 260
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
I was really dismayed to see that online play is a paid subscription, especially considering Splatoon 2 is what I'm most excited about. MAYBE at some point, I can scrape up enough to buy the system and a game, or perhaps receive them as gifts, but I'll never be able to afford any sort of subscription.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
It could be like Sony does, where you can go online, but a few bucks a month gets you freebies and better connection speeds.

(EDIT TO ADD: At least that's what Sony DID back in the PS3 days. Don't have a PS4 to know if that's still going on.)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »
This seems to indicate otherwise...

There was supposed to be an image there. It doesn't show up. Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:39:20 PM by Quirk »
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »
From NintendoToday:
The free game changes every month. No, you can’t keep it once the month has passed. It’s a free rental for a month and Nintendo gets to decide what you rent.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
Well then it all comes down to what they want to charge for it. If they decide $5 a month or something, it's still worth it to me.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
Same. (Heck, I wonder just how many NES and SNES games offer more than a month's worth of entertainment to me these days anyway :P)
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:41 PM »
Yeah, if I've had it for a month and I'm not done with it, it's probably worth the $5-8.

I have a strange amount of faith in Nintendo's practices. Whenever they try to do what everyone else is doing, they usually try to do it in a way that has the least impact on price. That's why this switch is only $300, while Microsoft and Sony are releasing newer versions of their systems to keep the price tag around $400.

I would be very surprised if the online subscription ended up being a truly bad deal, is what I'm saying.

Nintendo ALSO has an annoying habit of hiding the really juicy tidbits about things they plan on releasing until close to launch, which always makes things seem like a bad deal at first glance.

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3653
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
I would be very surprised if the online subscription ended up being a truly bad deal, is what I'm saying.

I expect it to be fair, but any price on a monthly basis is too high when you simply don't have it.