Author Topic: Babinro's Rifftrax Ratings  (Read 387 times)

Offline babinro

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Babinro's Rifftrax Ratings
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »
*** Introduction ***

I was only ever introduced to MST3K through Youtube personalities recently (in the last 5 years) and as such I'm a very late adopter to the series and the idea of riffing.  Quickly after discovering the show I was completely hooked.  I can say with absolute confidence that MST3K is my favorite show of all time.  So much so that I tend to fall asleep at nights just listening to one of the episodes as background noise.  Some of you may recognize me as I've been posting mini reviews on every Rifftrax title I own as I've been spending more than I should building up a great library of laughs.

*** My Opinion ***

Comedy is subjective so my rankings are not meant to discourage purchases but rather provide a sense of what you may like if you find that you share similar tastes as me.  Since nearly all of us come from an MST3K background I will list a few episodes in that series that really stand out to me.  While these aren't in any specific order, the first few are basically my favorites.
- Track of the Moon Beast
- The Final Sacrifice
- Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
- Manos: The Hands of Fate
- Catalina Caper
- Puma Man
- Space Mutiny
- The Crawling Eye

There are so many others and honestly I have a tough time remembering which is which at times since I didn't rank/categorize them like the Rifftrax list.  Still, the above list gives you a decent idea of what I enjoy and in many of those cases it probably matches the popular opinion although the top 3 are my favorites.

One of the main reasons I'm doing this is because the website rates pretty much every episode between 8.0 and 9.9.  This rating scale comes with relatively few comments and even fewer that give an idea of how good the movie was.  As a HUGE fan of Rifftrax and MST3K I recognize that not everything is a homerun or a masterpiece and I think the comments on this site were at least somewhat misleading when it comes to making an informed purchase decision.

*** Ratings Legend ***

2/10 Not Worth It
3/10 Below Average
4/10 Below Average
5/10 Average
6/10 Above Average
7/10 Recommended
8/10 Highly Recommended
9/10 Highly Recommended
10/10 Essential

It's important to note that these ratings are often the result of a single viewing of the movie/short.  If I felt I was significantly tired or not invested/distracted I may have watched the movie again to try and get a firm grip on where I stand.   Keep in mind, that over time, watching certain riffs more than once WILL change your opinion on them.  If your like me you eventually love certain stories being told within the riffs or just love certain moments which enhance the experience.  Torgo from Manos and everything that came from him is an easy example of something that enhanced Manos as an experience on repeat viewings.

So what this means is that a movie I ranked 6.5 might easily turn out to be an 8+ a year from now and likewise its entirely possible I've cooled on some of the higher rated movies when going back. 

*** Rifftrax Ratings ***

Birdemic LIVE               10
Shake Hands with Danger            10
Rifftrax LIVE MST3K Reunion         10

Buffalo Rider               9.5
R.O.T.O.R               9.5

Death Promise               9
Julie and Jack               9
Measuring Man               9
Rifftrax LIVE Manos The Hands of Fate       9

Future Force                8.5
Rifftrax LIVE Jack the Giant Killer       8.5
Ghosthouse               8.5

Deadly Prey               8
No Retreat, No Surrender         8
Terror at Tenkiller            8
The Guy From Harlem            8
Planet of Dinosuars            8

The Amazing Mr. X            7.5 *More Mary Jo and Bridget feature film riffs please!
The Apple               7.5
Cyborg Cop 2               7.5
Mr B Natural               7.5  *9/10 MST3K Riff Version
The Crater Lake Monster            7.5
The Hideous Sun Demon            7.5
The Last Shark               7.5
Sisters of Death            7.5

Alien Outlaw                7
Honor and Glory               7
Icebreaker               7
Megaforce               7
Mutant                  7
Samurai Cop               7
Stone Cold               7
The Bermuda Triangle            7
The Devil's Hand             7
The Last Slumber Party            7
The Wizard               7

Arachnia                6.5
Attack of the Puppet People         6.5
Cold as Ice               6.5
Cyber Tracker               6.5
Laser Mission               6.5
Patriotism               6.5
Rock n Roll Nightmare            6.5
Wonder Women               6.5

Breaker! Breaker!            6
Dinosaurus               6
Future Zone               6
Nightmare at Noon            6
Plan 9 from Outer Space            6
Prisoners of the Lost Universe         6
Psycho 2               6
Rifftrax Christmas Circus Whizzo the Clown!   6
Rifftrax LIVE Miami Connection          6
Supersonic Man                6
Swamp of the Ravens            6

Brainiac               5.5

Attack From Space            5
Dragon Wars: D-War            5
Fever Lake               5
Fists of Fury               5
Fun in Balloon land            5
Kingdom of the Spiders            5
Kiss of the Tarantula            5
McBain                  5
Rifftrax LIVE House on Haunted Hill       5
Superargo & the Faceless Giants         5
The Dark Power               5
The Galaxy Invader            5
Tourist Trap               5

FireHead               4
Hillbillys in a Haunted House         4
Rifftrax LIVE Night of the Living Dead      4
Rifftrax LIVE Sharknado            4
Rollergator               4
The Bill of Rights in Action         4

Astro Zombies                3
City of the Dead            3
Mesa of Lost Women            3
Ruby                   3
Silent Rage               3
Super Mario Bros            3
The Revenge of Doctor X            3

To Catch a Yeti               2

Batman Shorts

Batman (Episode 1)            6
Batman (Episode 2)            7
Batman (Episode 3)            5
Batman (Episode 4)            6
Batman (Episode 5)            6
Batman (Episode 6)            5
Batman (Episode 7)            4
Batman (Episode 08)         3
Batman (Episode 9)            3
Batman (Episode 10)            5
Batman (Episode 11)            4
Batman (Episode 12)            5
Batman (Episode 13)            3
Batman (Episode 14)            4
Batman (Episode 15)            5

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:57:58 PM by babinro »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
Re: Babinro's Rifftrax Ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
Will be interested to see what you think of  the Episode 1 riff.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
Buffalo Rider is pretty mediocre IMHO. Really goofy movie, but very little actually happens, and the riffing just seemed uninspired. I remember the guy punching a cougar in the face, and I have no recollection of what their riff for that was. I'd put it WAY lower. Wonder Women OTOH I'd put WAY higher. Best chase scene ever. Most everything else I'd say is about right.

Agree with Rollergator being dead last.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
Rollergator rewards the pain with great laughs. It's one of those badge of honor riffs. Like The Room or Birdemic. If you can make it through Rollergator, you can make it through anything.
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »
Rollergator is in my top 5. I can understand why people don't get the humor of it though.
Please enjoy the official LMD Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/v/0yID8Xb7qKM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0

And buy my first riff of The Return of Chandu, Chapter 11 and all the Chandu iriffs or I will never "like" your re-authoring posts again.

Offline babinro

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
Will be interested to see what you think of  the Episode 1 riff.

This won't be happening.  You may have noticed that every riff listed is a Full Movie riff.  That's for a reason.  I dislike the Just the Jokes process of setting up.  Consider it laziness but I don't like looking into whether or not the riff was made for my version of the movie.  Even if it was, I don't enjoy the sync up process.  Then once its actually synced there's a good chance I'll be pausing things to step away at some point.

These are all minor things but they add up to enough of a barrier that it ruins the enjoyment of simply putting on a movie for me.

Rollergator is in my top 5. I can understand why people don't get the humor of it though.

Rollergator rewards the pain with great laughs. It's one of those badge of honor riffs. Like The Room or Birdemic. If you can make it through Rollergator, you can make it through anything.

I actually re-watched Rollergator in response to these replies and found myself enjoying it more than I remember.  Maybe the awful movie has some charm?  lol

I stand by a lot of my initial criticisms but I don't think I'd score it quite so low anymore.   The opening 5-8 minute credit sequence is really well done up until the actual Gator is introduced.  The recurring riffs on the power lines is fun and the ending credits are wonderful.   Strong start, strong finish but the main chunk of the movie still doesn't work for me.  If I had rank it again I'd probably score it a 4.

I'm glad this riff has its fans though as I don't want to discourage anyone from having a good time.

I'll be updating this list on the next major Rifftrax wide sale as I've been gradually adding to my wishlist.  Can't wait!
Edit: Inauguration Day Sale!  Expect some updated ratings in the next week or two!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:55:17 PM by babinro »

Offline DrKlahn

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you have there, but I put Prisoners of the Lost Universe higher and House on Haunted Hill is one of their best Live efforts.

RollerGator is a hard film. For our group we watched it un-riffed and found it to be one of the worst films we'd tackled (if not THE worst).
Building my fighting force of extraordinary magnitude

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »
The opening 5-8 minute credit sequence is really well done up until the actual Gator is introduced.

Yeah, if he had just never shown at all, things would have been fine... But sadly he's the title character.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 06:45:26 AM »
The opening 5-8 minute credit sequence is really well done up until the actual Gator is introduced.

Yeah, if he had just never shown at all, things would have been fine... But sadly he's the title character.
I don't know, my favorite riff in that was "I don't have to fuck the puppet, do I?"

Offline babinro

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
New Riffs added to the above list

The Amazing Mr. X            7.5 *More Mary Jo and Bridget feature film riffs please!
The Apple                       7.5
Cyber Tracker               6.5
Attack of the Puppet People      6.5
Patriotism                       6.5
Brainiac                       5.5
Dragon Wars: D-War         5
McBain                  5
The Bill of Rights in Action      4
FireHead                       4
Mesa of Lost Women         3
The Revenge of Doctor X         3
To Catch a Yeti               2

I've also updated Rollergator to a 4/10  having re-watched it and enjoyed it more than I did initially.  I may have updated others as well but Rollergator was the only one with a significant change.

General commentary on the newer riffs
The Amazing Mr X was a delight!  I have a feeling that I will like this episode more with repeated viewings and I think Mary Jo and Bridget deserves more exposure on feature films.

The Apple's riffs weren't exactly great but they did enhance the musical and made me wish that these guys would cover a lot more musicals in the future.  MST3K never really covered proper musicals but there were a few films with several songs and I found those to be pretty great as well. 

Given that I had already purchased most of the stand out films it should come as no surprise that the bulk of these new riffs weren't really stand outs.  I must admit that McBain's "That....Was...Awesome" riff has been burned into my memory ever since I heard it but the movie as a whole was simply average.  Quite a few black and white films wound up disappointing which saddens me because they typically make fantastic riff fodder due to their pacing and actors expressions.  The other problem is that many of these spent most of their best jokes on the preview.  Kudos for the preview selling me on the purchase but you expect more going into a rifftrax experience.

To Catch a Yeti becomes our new worst riff of all time!   
Curious if that movie will have its defenders as well.  I'm just as curious to see if revisiting that mess will change my opinion in time.   Not ready to check it out again any time soon though.

As always I welcome discussions on any of my rankings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:46:35 PM by babinro »