Top 50 MST3k Costumes
0 (0%)
Top 50 Rifftrax
5 (35.7%)
Top 50 TV Series
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: January 07, 2017, 04:39:19 PM

Author Topic: Vote for List of Crap #100  (Read 546 times)

Offline Lunquewill

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
Re: Vote for List of Crap #100
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
Does anyone remember the band in the Kidd Video cartoons?

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
Just think of all the TV shows, comics, cartoons, etc. you've ever watched. Odds are there was at least one point where a few characters said, "Let's start a band!"
I can think of five, TOPS, and that's including really obscure references I can think of, like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for sharing that, gotta love the 80s.  ;D I have a Cobra T-shirt, yessir.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 06:07:58 AM »
Then you are missing out on some great pop culture.
What can I say? If I have to wrack my brain just to come up with five or six, then it's a game not worth playing. I'm sorry guys, I'm gonna have to sit this LOC out.
Before you give up on it, check out the Wikipedia page on fictional bands. It's thorough to a fault, and is likely to trigger some memories.
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
Then you are missing out on some great pop culture.
What can I say? If I have to wrack my brain just to come up with five or six, then it's a game not worth playing. I'm sorry guys, I'm gonna have to sit this LOC out.
Before you give up on it, check out the Wikipedia page on fictional bands. It's thorough to a fault, and is likely to trigger some memories.
Fair enough, will do. Update:... There's just too many that I haven't heard of or I'm just clueless as to how I would rank them from 25 to best. Sorry guys.  :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:51:59 PM by Russoguru »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 06:07:56 PM »
 I just scrolled up and down that list and couldn't even get to 10 that I actually remembered, maybe a few more that sort of rang a bell from single episodes of shows.  Guess I just don't watch the right shows to be a part of this.

Offline Russoguru

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
I've seen some bands I like on that list, but I'll be damned if I can even name one or more song that I like from that band. Question: would a list of only 5 be acceptable?

Online Johnny Unusual

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Do re mi fa so la ti do
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »
It always has been.

Offline Russoguru

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
Then my list is on it's way to you...correction, on it's way to George 2.0.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:34:36 PM by Russoguru »

Online Johnny Unusual

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 04:48:04 AM »
Well, you sent it to me too.  Are you sure George got it?

Offline George-2.0

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 06:36:40 AM »
Yeah I got it.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 06:41:00 AM »
Cool.  Still working on my list.  This one is going to take a while.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
I've seen some bands I like on that list, but I'll be damned if I can even name one or more song that I like from that band. Question: would a list of only 5 be acceptable?

I really don't think ranking bands by how much you like their"hits" should be the criteria. Most of these bands do not actually play or sing, but lip sync to tracks recorded by studio musicians. Sometimes more than one vocalist or studio band was used for the same character. And as for writing the song, let's put it this way. Remember when Greg Brady kept writing those "hits" for his brothers and sisters to sing? All from different composers, and Barry Williams wrote nothing. God knows how many different writers wrote the partridge families songs.

My criteria was how much I liked the characters who were singing. For example, a certain fake metal band is high on my list, not because I liked any of their music, but because of how funny they were in their movie. If I went by how much I liked their music, then my list would be very different, and a lot   of bands I cut would be in the top ten.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
Yeah, I also had a fake band that had TWO movies specifically about them and you never get to hear any of their actual music.
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
I really don't think ranking bands by how much you like their"hits" should be the criteria. Most of these bands do not actually play or sing, but lip sync to tracks recorded by studio musicians. Sometimes more than one vocalist or studio band was used for the same character. And as for writing the song, let's put it this way. Remember when Greg Brady kept writing those "hits" for his brothers and sisters to sing? All from different composers, and Barry Williams wrote nothing. God knows how many different writers wrote the partridge families songs.

My criteria was how much I liked the characters who were singing. For example, a certain fake metal band is high on my list, not because I liked any of their music, but because of how funny they were in their movie. If I went by how much I liked their music, then my list would be very different, and a lot   of bands I cut would be in the top ten.
Meh.... it's just too confusing for me to adjust my thinking in that way. I have certain mental blocks that get in the way of altering my thinking patterns.