Author Topic: Alien: Covenant (2017)  (Read 993 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
Alien: Covenant (2017)
« on: December 25, 2016, 01:27:39 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H0VW6sg50Pk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/H0VW6sg50Pk</a>
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 05:02:21 PM »
I thought the next one was meant to go to the pilots planet? I guess I missed something.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
I think that landscape is supposed to be their planet.  I was hoping it would be a lot weirder looking, myself.

All I can say is, I hope it's good.  It kind of looks like it's going to end up being more of a slasher movie than a further philosophical exploration than Prometheus was going for...whether that's for better or worse, well...

More Fassbender isn't a bad thing, though.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Ponymusete

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:22:34 AM »
There is going to be another similar film named Arrival describing the fall of some unknown aliens while human do not know if there are friendly or not so they dispatch a linguist to contact the Aliens. This film will come out in 2007 and i hope it is 60fps just like  Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk. If not i will use 60fps converter to make it true. >:(

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »
Yeah...Arrival came out last year and should hit DVD soon
 Missed it in the theater but will catch it when it's released on DVD/streaming.

As for Covenant, not sure what to think. Prometheus had some things that I thought were interesting but overall too many plot holes, no real frights, and that one surgery scene that was supposed to be terrifying but ended up being hysterically funny. While this looks to go in a different direction that might be better.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
I loved what I took Prometheus to be: a story about man's blind quest for god, its creator.  But once man finds god, it tries to kill him.  So what does man do when it finds out its creator actively wants it dead?  Man chooses to deny it, and goes off looking for another god to worship, because its the search that keep humanity going.

Wasn't a great movie, but I really liked what I thought it was trying to say about religion and humanity. 

Somehow I get the feeling there won't be much philosophy in this one.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »
...and that one surgery scene that was supposed to be terrifying but ended up being hysterically funny.

Tyrant, who was 7 months pregnant at the time with our tyke, disagrees. :^)
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
I loved what I took Prometheus to be...

By "better" I meant that I thought Covenant might end up being a better overall movie despite initially appearing as more of just another Alien sequel. I didn't hate Prometheus and did find it thought provoking, but also equally frustrating in the sloppiness of some of the plot holes that could have easily been fixed.

Offline Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
This trailer looks intense. Part of me wants stuff about the Engineers and the Xenomorphs answered but another part of me also does not.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
I also wanted more of a followup to Prometheus, with the Engineers.

This looks like it jumps over that and goes straight to being a prequel for Alien.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
Just as a note, for those who would like some information about something that is in the trailer, but may not yet be aware of it...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Russoguru

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Anger is the shortest distance to a mistake.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
That is freaky. Of course, at the same time it raises a lot of questions that I'm not sure I have the stomach to ask.  :speechless:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »
Surprised this thread hasn't been active since the movie came out.

I just finished the novelization, haven't seen the movie so don't know if there are differences, but there is usually more explanations of stuff in a novelization.

Not sure I will even bother watching the movie now, other than the stuff with David it seemed like most of the stuff that happens is a rehash of stuff done in Alien and Aliens.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »
I may check it out on DVD if I even bother at all. The reviews were mixed at best, and apparently they gloss over the woman from Prometheus' visit to the Engineer's home world in the laziest of ways, just to tell basicaly a remake of Alien.
While I respect Ridley Scott, I think this is a Star Wars type situation where the originator has run out of good ideas, and the best thing for the franchise might be for him to step aside.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 07:24:16 AM »
I liked it, but I also liked Prometheus. If Prometheus rubbed you the wrong way, Covenant probably isn't enough of a course correction to win you over.
<a href="http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tinyurl.com/5nx4dh</a>