Author Topic: VOIP providers, anyone use for home phone?  (Read 409 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
VOIP providers, anyone use for home phone?
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »
I'm going to ditch my voice landline when I move into my house since I use my cell for everything, but have been thinking about porting the number over to a VOIP provider like Vonage.  They have a plan that's only $12 a month.  They advertise the heck of of the $10 a month plan but that goes up to $25 after the first year.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good, cheap, VOIP service?

I should probably just forget about keeping that number, but I've had it for 30 years...

Offline Lunquewill

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
Re: VOIP providers, anyone use for home phone?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
Porting a number isn't as difficult as it used to be. You just have to sign a transfer agreement. They do all the rest. Vonage apparently has an extra fee if you do that, though. I ported my cell number to Google Fi at no charge, but they are an MVNO, unless you count the Google Voice account that is attached to that.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: VOIP providers, anyone use for home phone?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
Well, I'm going to try Vonage, the $12 month to month plan (no contract).  No extra fee for porting, so that is in the process of happening.  They also seem to be dropping the setup fees, you used to have to pay for the box but now it's just $10 to set up service and the box.  Got the box today and hooked it up, now just have to wait for the number to port over from Verizon.