login

Author Topic: Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5191
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
One thing I thought was odd in the beginning of this season was their argument about Ghostbusters.
I get why Lucas would resist being Winston, just because the others assumed he would be the black guy.
But I don't remember ever kids at the time disparaging on Winston like that. Especially just because "he wasn't a scientist". A lot of people prefer other characters (Egon was always my favorite). And he didn't get as much to do in the movie because he came in later. But Ernie Hudson is awesome!

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2532
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
Ernie Hudson is indeed awesome! I met him at a Botcon (He had a role in Transformers Prime). I didn't know he was coming or I'd have an autographed copy of Ghostbusters on my DVD shelf.

Winston, however, was a criminally underwritten character. The part was famously reduced when Eddie Murphy couldn't do it. The Real Ghostbusters remedied that a bit, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who chose Winston has his favorite Ghostbuster. Venkman had the mouth, Stanz had the heart, Spengler had the brains, Zeddemore had... ethnicity, I suppose.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3784
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »
IIRC Q5 considered Winston the driver.  Quite a few of their decisions on Real Ghostbusters we’re just...eehh...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5191
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »

Winston, however, was a criminally underwritten character.
I do agree. He is the audience surrogate character, after all. The person there so the technobabble can be explained to, as well as the audience. But he did have some personality, and the movie treated like an equal once he joined the team. The movie didn't look down on him, and I don't remember kids in the 80s doing that either.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
Loved Season 1. Thought Season 2 sucked. Highly recommend Dark - German TV show Netflix picked up and dubbed into English. Similar plot to start, but darker and goes in a whole different direction  (which after 7 episodes, I've found to be far more depressing, but also far more interesting).