login

Author Topic: Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7857
Re: Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »
The music is John Carpenter to me.

And yes, Goonies was shit. I was a kid in the core demographic at the time it came out, and saw it at a birthday party. Everyone else ate it up and I thought, "Am I seeing a different movie here? This sucks."

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1314
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 05:35:45 AM »
On episode 6, and I’m not a fan so far. Season one used a bunch of tropes but mixed them up enough to keep it interesting. This season is just trope after trope to the point where I feel like I’m having now memories about exactly what will happen next. (Also, ‘now memories’ is clunky and dumb. I get they are trying to make it a thing like the upside down, but I really wish they’d stop saying it so much).

Characters seem to be making decisions just to further the plot. If you enter a creepy cave that shouldn’t be there with only one tiny exit you know of, why would you wander around in it by yourself?  What did you expect to happen?  You have plenty of access to other resources. He needed to get stuck tongive other characters something to do.

It’s not a bad show, it’s just predictable and boring so far. Still going to finish it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2799
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 08:36:15 AM »
Only halfway through. The scene in episode 4 (SPOILERS)

Not as creepy as the end of episode 5.

where the thing goes into Will's head...fucking creepy

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4542
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »
I really liked this season for the most part.  I hope next season Will gets to be something apart from the universe's punching bag.

Bobby was by far this season's best new character.  I also like Brett Gelman as the conspiracy nut, but I'd be just as happy if that's the last we see of him.

As for Paul Reiser...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Billy is the show's most perfectly cast character.  If I had to imagine the biggest douchebag in the universe, I would fail to come up with Billy.

I kind of didn't like Mike this season, though, since he spent way to much of it complaining about the new girl and generally being a jerk.  Also, Dustin and Steve make for a great duo.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 557
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
Good God, Paul Reiser got old.  I was 7 episodes in, still thinking "When is Paul Reiser going to show up?", before I realized he was the doctor.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5398
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:15 PM »

I kind of didn't like Mike this season, though, since he spent way to much of it complaining about the new girl and generally being a jerk.
Several characters are assholes to Max, for different reasons. To the point where you wonder why she was hanging out with them at all.

I was very disappointed that
. Yeah, I know this show does use tropes, but it will subvert them occasion. Steve being a prime example.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4301
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »
I think the only significant drawback to the season for me was that the first three episodes were so saturated with shoving '80s memorabilia into the camera, that it was like they were saying:

"SEE?? THIS TAKES PLACE IN THE 1980s!! GET IT?!?!"

Since this was an homage to horror, while irritated by the basic ideas (like VoC pointed out) of things like going, alone, into a tunnel linked to something you know is incredibly dangerous, without even telling anyone where you went, I accepted it as the horror trope it was (since that it damn near universal in horror films, regardless how unrealistic it is for a real life event).  It did reduce my appreciation for that episode (or two) by a bit, and I do think that it slowed things down.  But it also set up that the tunnels were living, and that they were a strongly-linked part of the smoke monster's invasion plan.  ['Smoke monster'?  ...  Are we back on the LOST island, or what?]

And yeah, I am with CJ, Reiser got old and changed so much it took me an episode or two to recognize him.  But when I did, my thought was, "quite a change from 'Mad About You'!" since I'd forgotten his Aliens link at that point.  I also agree with JU's spoiler about his character.

With Brett Gellman's character, it wasn't until the 'Beyond ST' roundtable discussions that it registered that he'd been the newspaper reporter who'd come to the town looking for answers to Barb's death in the first season.  (More, on how that played into the current season, in the spoiler.)

Having been a bit of a nerd (though a large one [6' 187lb in high school], so less hassled than smaller ones) I agree somewhat with DG's spoilered comment on Bob.  But I honestly think

I wonder if the Duffers have a huge corkboard of "Horor/Sci-Fi Tropes" that they pull items off of when writing (e.g. "OK... this episode let's use... "main character goes off alone to do something stupid" and mix that with... [searches board]... "human antagonist becomes even more of a prick")?  I'm thinking they'd start with a huge number of tropes and leave the tags for them off the board when they were used, but if they subvert them, they get to put the trope back on the board to use it again later. ;D
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1314
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
The product placement bugged me too in those first episodes. Companies trying to draw nostalgia from old add campaigns and slogans.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 354
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 04:55:21 PM »
Billy's hair was so terrible for most of the show. I don't mean in a 'Haha Hair Metal Bad!' way just really bad.

It's ridiculous how casually people walk down monster tunnels alone.

Overall I enjoyed it, but man it dragged it's feet a bit. Really slow to get started. It's funny but I thought pretty much all the new characters were going to be evil/traitorous but then it turned out none of them where, so I fooled myself a bit.

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4014
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 05:20:25 PM »
Interesting...

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
Wow, The Lurker!  That is a seriously subtle detail caught there.  Congrats.  Gives further insight into the intense depth of the relationship between Hopper and Eleven/Jane.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
Found this rather nice GIF of the big bad of the season.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5398
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »

I was really disappointed that he was a smoke monster the entire time.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2799
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »

I suspect that's just how he manifests on the rightside-up.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:09 AM »

I suspect that's just how he manifests on the rightside-up.

I think you are right, because in the final shot from the upside-down [GIF below, in the spoiler] it seems pretty damn solid.  But, like Darth, I was more than a little disappointed when it was coming through the portal and was still smoke.

Oh, and for the heck of it (because it was available), I threw in a GIF of Dart sprouting his hind legs in the spoiler area for good measure.