login

Author Topic: Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread  (Read 1973 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4086
Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread
« on: October 01, 2016, 03:28:02 PM »
NOTE TO THOSE JOINING THIS THREAD:  For a period of two weeks after each new season drops, please put things that are potential or clear spoilers in hidden/spoiler code.  Also, ANY reference to future plot points, or ideas related to possible future events or plot points, should to be spoilered for the general enjoyment of anyone joining the thread.  And please label what the spoiler is for (e.g. 'current season', 'future plot points').  An unlabeled spoiler is useless to anyone, because unlabeled spoilers have to be opened and the contents read in order to see if the content was something that fit what each individual considers 'spoilers I don't want to see'.

It is funny.  I don't usually like horror or suspense films and TV (differentiating 'monster' from 'horror' - I love me some weird S-F/fantasy monsters in general [e.g. Universal monsters, Pacific Rim, etc.]).  I tuned in to the first episode of this just to see what the fuss was about, and what Winona Rider was up to, since people were praising her acting on this as the best of her career.

And I polished off the entire season in under two days, it was so enthralling.

The first link I made to it was that parts seemed like the game half-Life, which I quite enjoyed back while I was playing computer games.  Until I finished watching the season and started watching the behind the scenes stuff and interviews on YouTube, I didn't register very many of the '80s era horror that was being 'homaged' [yes, I know that's not really a version of the word that is real], even though I'd seen most of the films referred to in the interviews.

So: I was highly impressed by the show.  The casting, the acting, the flow of the narrative, were all exceptional.

I have one theory related to the cop that it seems hasn't been referenced anywhere (at least nowhere I've seen, and I looked at a lot about the show since watching it).  Since this may be used as a future plot event, I'm gonna' spoiler it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:16:01 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 717
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Netflix's Stranger Things, the Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »
You might want to re-word your spoiler policy.  "Season 1 references are spoiler-free....." Usually the phrase "spoiler-free" indicates that there are no spoilers.  Maybe "spoiler-tag free"? 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
You might want to re-word your spoiler policy.  "Season 1 references are spoiler-free....." Usually the phrase "spoiler-free" indicates that there are no spoilers.  Maybe "spoiler-tag free"?

Thanks!  Corrected.  Brain not functioning on all cylinders (and have had an optic migraine for three days now), so not thinking clear enough to phrase things properly.  [I really need something that prevents me from posting when I'm not doing well. ::)]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 06:28:55 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2532
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
My theory:

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
My theory:

I agree.  Seems quite likely to me.  Expounding and elaborating (a tiny bit):

Oh, and for any who haven't yet seen it, here's a fun little vid of Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin doing their song and dance version of the awesome tune, 'Uptown Funk' as entertainment for those present, prior to the start of the Emmy's this year.

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dj6icFSWB4k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/dj6icFSWB4k</a>
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:09:55 PM by LucasM »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 326
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Enjoyed the show quite a bit, I felt the tank episode was almost all filler since it was a huge amount of work for no real pay off, and they could have just used a bathtub.
Barb got seriously dicked over. I don't think there is any real reason to think the Sheriffs daughter was a research victim.

It was interesting that they pretty much gave us all the info right up front, phase shifting monster in parallel world, and the rest of the show just built on it.
Oh and I has really hoped the kids had been able to use the information that they put together, they had all the parts, but were sort of shut out of any hunt the monster shenanigans.
It's going to be very weird to see how this gets spun into a an ongoing series, it makes sense as a one off.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
Been rewatching this because- I dunno- I just felt like it for some reason. :^)

A few things I'm admiring this time around:

- I love how the movie evokes nostalgia without directly using it. There are a couple very brief moments where you get a "Hey, remember this?" but most of the nostalgia comes from t he fact that it just FEELS like the '80s. What I noticed this time around is it's LIT like the '80s. There's something about light filtered through a yellow lampshade onto wood paneling that throws me back in time as effectively as anything the soundtrack had to offer.

- I really, really love how they used Should I Stay or Should I Go. It was established as a special song for Will, so it's thematically appropriate for it to be there, and the lyrics beautifully mirror the dilemma Joyce is facing when she's fleeing her house.

- And while we're there, Winona Ryder does a fantastic job of playing a mom who's going crazy because she's NOT CRAZY!

- I have a bit more sympathy for Steve than when I first watched it. It's mostly his friends that are horrible people. Just about everything he does, he atones for. He still rubs me the wrong way, but I GUESS it's OK for him to stay with Nancy (for now). Not every social-outcast-meets-popular-girl story has to end with an unexpected romance.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5191
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »

- And while we're there, Winona Ryder does a fantastic job of playing a mom who's going crazy because she's NOT CRAZY!

I love the fact that we spend so much time with her character. Because if this had been a two hour movie, she would have been mostly ignored.

As for Steve, no he's just an asshole. His slight heel turn after the sign incident comes out of nowhere and doesn't match his behavior before that. And his "redemption" is just him sticking his nose in a situation he has no place in because he thinks he's entitled. Had he died to save Nancy and Jonathan when they were confronting the monster, that would have been a satisfying end to his arc. But as it is, it just feels like they planned on doing that, but changed their minds at the last minute.
I don't mind that Nancy doesn't end up with Jonathan at the end. It's a shame, since I thought they had good chemistry and the extended time this miniseries gave them made their relationship more natural. But you're right, not every guy-meets-girl in a crisis situation needs to end with them together. But for her to even consider being in a relationship with Steve after all the shit he did just cheapens her character.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 29
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
Been rewatching this because- I dunno- I just felt like it for some reason. :^)

A few things I'm admiring this time around:

- I love how the movie evokes nostalgia without directly using it. There are a couple very brief moments where you get a "Hey, remember this?" but most of the nostalgia comes from t he fact that it just FEELS like the '80s. What I noticed this time around is it's LIT like the '80s. There's something about light filtered through a yellow lampshade onto wood paneling that throws me back in time as effectively as anything the soundtrack had to offer.

yeah, i concur.  It adds the little bits of 80's paraphernalia that evokes that time, like the crappy bile colored tupperware with the weird lids:

My family HAD those kinds of tupperware!!

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 29
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vgS2L7WPIO4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vgS2L7WPIO4</a>

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7849
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »
Can't fucking wait.

I have to say though I'm not looking forward to seeing more Will Byers. Never cared for the kid (he gives me the creeps), and liked him better as a MacGuffin than a character.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 07:08:54 AM »
It is going to be interesting to see how he works as a part of the group. We only really got to meet him as a dungeon master, and through brief flashbacks.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5191
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
Just finished binging the second season, and wow that was just as good as the first. The acting is all around stellar. Sean Astin was very entertaining as a suburban dumpy, kinda dweeby, guy.
I also liked Steve a lot more than I expected to in this, considering how much I hated him in the first season. Not sure if it was all the writing, or just the direction they took with that character.

If I had any complaints it would be that the main villain was just a vague CGI cloud rather than a uniquely interesting looking creature design like the Demogorgon is. But that didn't really hurt it's believability as a threat.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7849
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »
Only halfway through. The scene in episode 4 (SPOILERS)

where the thing goes into Will's head...fucking creepy

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »
I've watched season 2 (finished very late Friday, then watched the 'Beyond Stranger Things' series last night).

I enjoyed it almost as much as season 1.  Interesting that part of the way they made Steve appear less douchy was to add Billy, who was an irredeemable prick.  Though Steve did actually show a tiny bit of emotional and social growth over the course of season 1, he progressed by leaps and bounds in season 2.

I didn't include spoiler warning info for seasons beyond the first in the first post before (not looking ahead to future seasons), but I'll go up and add something now.  And I'll put season 2 things that are potential or obvious spoilers here in hidden/spoiler code until at least 'a day per episode' has passed, for those who can't binge watch it in a day or two.

These comments are pretty much all spoilers for this season in here:

One other non-spoilery thing: I really like the Stranger Things theme music.  Sort of Vangelis filtered through Michael Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' threat. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:43:53 PM by LucasM »