Author Topic: Marvel Shared Film Universe: MCU Theatrical & TV (discussion, crossovers, etc.)  (Read 33855 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
Just saw this.  The article is lengthy, so the majority of the body of it is in a spoiler.

Disney Ends Netflix Deal: How It Could Impact the MCU

In an unexpected turn of events, it was revealed yesterday that Disney would be ending their Netflix contract as part of the company’s plan to create their own streaming service for 2019. The announcement raised a lot of concerns from fans because of its potential effects to the MCU, particularly the Netflix shows. This is a topic that can be confusing to those who don’t carefully watch this part of the entertainment business, so we are going to break it down for our readers as simply as we know how.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I just was listening to one of the tunes from Guardians of the Galaxy, and thought of something... there are only two people in the MCU that have been shown to be highly aware of and involved with music appreciation.

So I would just love it if, in some 'down time' during either Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers 4: Untitled, there were a scene of Peter Quill and Tony Stark having an active conversation about the relative merits of assorted styles of music.  ;D
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
You haven't seen Dr Strange yet then?
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
You haven't seen Dr Strange yet then?

I've seen it (actually over 10 times).  But Strange didn't seem to be as obsessed with music.  While he seemed to like it well enough as evidenced by tapping his foot in the OR, his having the music in the OR was almost more of a Trivial Pursuit thing.  He never paid attention to it beyond that point.  I cannot recall him ever being shown to be listening to music at all after his accident.  (e.g. If he was really an equivalent-intensity music fan as Quill and Stark, he would not have had his assistant do the random search in the middle of the Earth, Wind and Fire tune.  And if he was really a music fan where it was an integral part of his life, while he was in Kamar-Taj, during the break where he was trying to get himself to write to Christine, he would have already had music playing on the laptop as he thought about what he was going to say.  For comparison: I have iTunes on before I even open my browser or e-mail program.  Turning on music is the first thing I do after booting up my computer.)

Strange certainly never had specific music chosen when going 'into battle' like Stark (e.g. commandeering the sound system of a quinjet to play his tunes when first attacking Loki in The Avengers, but to Stark music was clearly a big deal to him in general [cranking it while working on various suit upgrades across his films, for instance]), or Quill (e.g. just about any time he is on-screen doing something ;), with the easiest examples 'Cherry Bomb' prepping for battle, things like 'O-O-H Child' for the dance off with Ronin, and playing and sharing it to express his feelings toward Gamora (well, in the first film, lust at least... the second...[spoilers avoided]), but also just a number of times in the course of just 'events' on the ship [again, in Vol.2, near the end was a powerful/meaningful one]).

So, while I think Strange would be good if either Stark or Quill wanted to know who played bass on a particular tune, the ones who appear to have strong opinions and life-enhancing relationships with it, are just Stark and Quill.

EDIT: added the stuff in the parentheses at the end of the first paragraph.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:05:25 PM by LucasM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Note: trying to write as much of this post as possible without spoilers.
Have now seen the entire Defenders series.  And it is easily my favorite Marvel/Netflix series.

With this, I realized there is something that has been sorely missed in the solo M/N series: anything funny (if there was 'funny' in prior series, it was easily forgotten for me).  Also this felt far more like a 'culmination of what went before' than 'The Avengers' did for its assorted series.  What happened before actually had impact in this, and merged the previous series into a whole that was bigger than its parts.  [Of course, that may not be the case by the time Avengers 4 is done, which will be the true culmination of those series.]

Don't get me wrong, I love 'The Avengers' film.  But this has it beat, hands down, for maintaining and increasing characterization depth for each of the parties involved (including adding depth to a number of the secondary characters).  With 'The Avengers', if you didn't already know the characters from their prior films, you'd have one hell of a time grasping who they were - it added to their characters, but the characterization in the film was so light, it would be difficult to get who they were enough to really care what they did from just that film.  I think with 'The Defenders', you could.  I do realize there's about three films-length of story in 'The Defenders', so not a wholly equivalent comparison.  But what I am referring to is the density of characterization between the two: 'The Defenders' beats 'The Avengers' with one iron fist tied behind its back.

A few high points (no major plot spoilers, but spoilers, nevertheless):

I think I'll turn around and start watching it again tonight.

EDIT:
MAJOR SPOILER inside (related to ep. 8 conclusion):
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:10:08 PM by LucasM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Well, I watched the first two episodes of The Inhumans - the 'movie' that people were massively ripped off for if they paid to see it in an IMAX theater (there's not even special effects visual grandeur to make up for the rest of it).

My core review:
     The Inhumans episodes one and two have all the emotional impact of a Wikipedia entry on the Inhumans.

NONE of the actors pulled off the intensity of those they were supposed to be representing (Karnak came closest, second to that would be Lockjaw - but even he was 'iffy').  None of the events were severe enough to give a shit about, because we didn't know the characters well enough to care what happened to them.  And, for this, instead of 'Maximus the Mad' they could have called him 'Maxius the ever-so-slightly neurotic'.

Other points (some spoilery, for those not having seen the first two episodes yet):

Produced for TV by the same person as brought us Iron Fist.  And, in comparison, Iron Fist is fucking Shakespeare.  At least in Iron Fist you had a pretty clear idea who the main characters were by the end of the second episode.  In The Inhumans, they are virtually interchangeable except for their powers - those powers that were even demonstrated in more than passing fashion.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Just saw this.  The article is lengthy, so the majority of the body of it is in a spoiler.

Disney Ends Netflix Deal: How It Could Impact the MCU

In an unexpected turn of events, it was revealed yesterday that Disney would be ending their Netflix contract as part of the company’s plan to create their own streaming service for 2019. The announcement raised a lot of concerns from fans because of its potential effects to the MCU, particularly the Netflix shows. This is a topic that can be confusing to those who don’t carefully watch this part of the entertainment business, so we are going to break it down for our readers as simply as we know how.

God damnit.  ANOTHER streaming service?  KNOCK IT OFF, HOLLYWOOD.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Well, I watched the first two episodes of The Inhumans - the 'movie' that people were massively ripped off for if they paid to see it in an IMAX theater (there's not even special effects visual grandeur to make up for the rest of it).

I saw some wretched movie in late 2012 about a bunch of 20 somethings who go to Moscow for some vacation, and a bunch of invisible aliens attack.  The movie was only available in 3D (with the marked up price), but made virtually no use of it.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I can't believe how many viewings of Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 it took me to realize something.  When the ship is leaving the Sovereign, and "Lake Shore Drive" is playing, infant Groot is lying on the glass looking out at the spectacle.

He's meant to remind one of the 1980s-era suction-cup Garfield dolls people stuck to their car windows! ;D  Sheesh!  Took me long enough. :)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
I'll have to watch out for that the next time I watch GOTG 2 again. :)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

Every new thing I see about this (though being a spoiler-phobe, I won't watch the trailer that is out) makes me more and more excited to see it.  Even this friggin' poster has such an incredible aesthetic!  The 'futuristic Africanized art deco' is awesome. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:10:03 PM by LucasM »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Yes!

Just a couple of weeks till Thor 3, which I am also super excited about.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I really enjoyed the comments some people added online in response to the Black Panther poster:

These comments:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:16:56 PM by LucasM »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
I'm really looking forward to this but I got to admit I'm stoked as hell for Infinity War!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Yeah, I'm more excited for Infinity War, because I want to see the culmination of this journey and how they're going to do it all.
Black Panther looks really good, just like most of the rest of the Marvel movies are.