Author Topic: Marvel Shared Film Universe: MCU Theatrical & TV (discussion, crossovers, etc.)  (Read 38229 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4925
New info on it.  Apparently it will be an eight episode mini-series, not an ongoing series.  I'm thinking there's both pros and cons to this.  Some of them: pros include it having a more well-defined, and therefore possibly more complex, plot; cons include that there won't be more than roughly six hours of it (when commercials are removed).

Marvel, ABC Set 'The Inhumans' TV Series

The comic book studio — which previously abandoned plans for an Inhumans feature film — is now set to team with ABC Studios for an eight-episode live-action drama series set to premiere in the fall of 2017.

Few details are known about the project, including producers, cast and premise. The first two episodes of the series will debut in Imax theaters for two weeks in summer 2017 before moving to ABC in September where they will be followed by six subsequent new episodes.

Sources note that this is not the planned Inhumans feature film, which was initially set for July 2019 but pulled from the schedule. It is also not a spinoff of Marvel drama Agents of SHIELD, which has spent a good deal of time exploring a storyline about its Inhumans.

With this the case, it not 'interacting' with Agents of SHIELD sounds like a good idea, as that would dilute the content/characterization/plot by not having full focus on the Inhumans' royal family and court.  Without Agents of SHIELD already explaining who the Inhumans are, it would have had to use screen time with an origin, but now can mostly just jump in with people presumably knowing who/what 'Inhumans' are.

This final line in the article confuses me a bit, however:
The Inhumans TV series will also be filmed completely with Imax cameras.
If only the first two episodes will be shown in IMAX theaters, what's the point of the highly-expensive, difficult-to-maneuver cameras being used for all of it?  It does, however, bode very well for how epic it may be, as IMAX isn't used for just talking heads.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!

If only the first two episodes will be shown in IMAX theaters, what's the point of the highly-expensive, difficult-to-maneuver cameras being used for all of it?  It does, however, bode very well for how epic it may be, as IMAX isn't used for just talking heads.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a promotional thing for IMAX.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

Given the pricey nature of operating IMAX cameras, it seems a bit excessive given the small size of most Americans' TVs.  However, I guess having "Brought to you by IMAX" in big honkin' letters on each and every episode would be good PR for them.  Plus it doesn't cost IMAX themselves all that much to use cameras etc. that they already have.  The difference between the lost revenue from what they could charge to rent them out vs the actual operating cost the only loss in the equation.  So, yeah, makes sense now.  Thanks.  Plus, I suppose, it would make 4K releases of the hard copies more desirable as well, so bigger $ on the back end may be possible as well.

And heck, if they are helping foot the bill to give it a bigger budget so the special effects and sets won't look 'TV quality', more power to them. :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!

Maybe they're aiming for the 4k market. I'm just guessing, but stuff filmed on IMAX might look better on 4k sets. Right now, I don't think there's a lot of programming that takes advantage of 4k, so maybe Disney's thinking if they put a show of theirs in that format, they can capture that market. (shrug)  Or option 2- a decision made with booze helping.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Hey, I'd love more, more, more too! I can't wait until there is at least one new MCU release a week! That's the world I want to live in. But, in 2017 we're getting:

Iron Fist
Defenders
Punisher
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider-Man
Thor Ragnarok
Agents of SHIELD
Damage Control
Cloak & Dagger

So, that's a pretty great slate for one year! :D

(I suspect you are probably right this will be the only Defenders series we get, but I think there's a possibility of a Heroes For Hire series)

Someone even did a graphic for this.  But still... that averages out to just barely over an hour of new Marvel a week and only if one 'doses' themselves accordingly!  >:( ( ;D )

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Great little interview with Kevin Feige.  Talks about Spider-Man, Brie Larson as Captain Marvel, diversity in the films, and that a crossover with Fox's properties like with Sony for Spider-Man, is "an impossibility at this juncture".

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/marvel-kevin-feige-interview-spider-man-captain-marvel-diversity-1201923851/

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
If anyone cares, I just updated my 'crossover index/interactions' post.  I corrected a couple things, and added some things to film or TV stuff already there, but also added known upcoming releases into the list.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7111
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.

why isn't it called the thancopter?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5857
  • Mr. Robot
Because it is true to continuity!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3690
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
If they can work Thanos' helicopter into MCU continuity, I'll be a happy man.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Marvel And Netflix Confirm Luke Cage Season 2

Marvel and Netflix have officially confirmed that Marvel's Luke Cage will be getting a second season.

The announcement was made with a tweet that featured a video set to the tune of the Luke Cage opening theme, sent out with Cage's own mantra, "Always forward."

That makes Marvel three-for-three with second season renewals on Netflix. Marvel's Daredevil was renewed for a second season on Netflix and has since earned a third. Marvel's Jessica Jones has also been renewed for a second season.

No release date was named. There was simply a neon sign in the window of Pop's Barber Shop that reads "Season 2 Coming Soon." Luke Cage Season 2 will presumably follow Marvel's Iron Fist and the crossover Marvel's Defenders series, which will both land on Netflix in 2017.

Luke Cage star Mike Colter has teased that the series' second season may see Luke teaming up with soon-to-be fellow Defender Iron Fist, played in the Marvel Cinematic Universe by Game of Thrones alum Finn Jones. Both characters are best known for their time as the crime-fighting-for-profit duo called Heroes for Hire.

In addition to Iron Fist and Defenders, Marvel also has Daredevil Season 3, Jessica Jones Season 2 and the first season of Daredevil spin-off Marvel's Punisher queued up for Netflix, giving superhero streamers plenty to look forward to.

Part of the next to last paragraph is deceptive.  What Colter said was:
While at LA Comic-Con over the weekend, Mike Colter teased the Heroes for Hire team up to fans, saying, "Finn Jones I was just hanging out with him yesterday. So [I'm] going back to New York, start filming... We're getting ready to do 'Heroes for Hire' eventually, come on."

To be clear: Colter isn't saying they are filming Heroes for Hire right now; the shoot in NYC is for The Defenders. He's just (half-) jokingly alluding to him and Jones keeping in communication because eventually they are going to unite for HfH. So file this under actor hopes with a side of Marvel long-term planning, but not an official confirmation... yet.

"We're getting ready to do 'Heroes for Hire' eventually, come on," means 'we're getting to know each other better because we hope there will be a Heroes for Hire show, because how couldn't there be one'.  That's pretty different from "teased that the series' second season may see Luke teaming up with soon-to-be fellow Defender Iron Fist".  The article is basically click-bait level 'reporting' for that aspect of what it said.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:32:16 AM by LucasM »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty

I KNOW this is taking the comic too seriously, but:

Thor 3 and GotG both take place off planet, and might all happen during the exact time of Civil War though, and if we don't see/hear from Thanos during a film, doesn't mean he hasn't done something somewhere in the universe towards his goals anyway.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I had hoped this thread to be more discussion of content.  I guess since currently there's not much active, that's not really possible.  So here's another graphic on Marvel TV:

(the pic is actually much bigger than what shows here)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
I wonder if Damage Control is quietly disappearing?
FINE