Author Topic: Marvel Shared Film Universe: MCU Theatrical & TV (discussion, crossovers, etc.)  (Read 42317 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Well, it looks like I'll have a bit of work ahead of me.  I'll need to update the full chronology I'd made a while back to remove all the Jeph Loeb TV series from it.

Kevin Feige Says Previous MCU TV Shows Aren’t Part Of Canon
While at CCXP Brazil, he spoke with Brazilian pop culture site Omelete about the Marvel projects and when asked about how the visual language of the Disney+ series will compare to the MCU, he first responded by stating that “Disney+ is going to give us this opportunity to tell even deeper stories about characters you already know and love,” and followed it up with the declaration that “it all, for the first time, will interlink.” By stating that this is the beginning of the movies and TV series connecting, he’s effectively wiped all previous Marvel shows from canon, which WGTC told you he was going to do last month.

That key statement: "it all, for the first time, will interlink," voids the old "It's all connected" promotional blurbs Marvel/Disney pumped out early on.

Is that Netflix only or does it include SHIELD?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 600
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Well, it looks like I'll have a bit of work ahead of me.  I'll need to update the full chronology I'd made a while back to remove all the Jeph Loeb TV series from it.

While at CCXP Brazil, he spoke with Brazilian pop culture site Omelete about the Marvel projects and when asked about how the visual language of the Disney+ series will compare to the MCU, he first responded by stating that “Disney+ is going to give us this opportunity to tell even deeper stories about characters you already know and love,” and followed it up with the declaration that “it all, for the first time, will interlink.” By stating that this is the beginning of the movies and TV series connecting, he’s effectively wiped all previous Marvel shows from canon, which WGTC told you he was going to do last month.

That key statement: "it all, for the first time, will interlink," voids the old "It's all connected" promotional blurbs Marvel/Disney pumped out early on.

You can't "wipe away" all of SHIELD considering the tie-in episodes for Thor 2 and Winter Soldier. I haven't watched the past few seasons though, but there is definitely a point where they just started getting ignored.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3410
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty

You can't "wipe away" all of SHIELD considering the tie-in episodes for Thor 2 and Winter Soldier. I haven't watched the past few seasons though, but there is definitely a point where they just started getting ignored.

They are about to introduce the multiverse, so anything can be wiped away (while also not being wiped away)
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5066
Spoilered the sections that have been repeatedly quoted, as people have likely already read them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It includes SHIELD.  Basically Feige - the MCU god - has said (in the article I linked to and elsewhere) basically that nothing Jeph Loeb produced is MCU canon.

Actually, Kevin Feige can, and has from the start.  The tie-ins of films with SHIELD were always only one way: from film to TV.  Had anything from the TV series ever had repercussions in the films, then it would not be so easy.  But they didn't.  As far as the MCU filmworld was considered, for instance, Coulson was never alive past The Avengers.

They are about to introduce the multiverse, so anything can be wiped away (while also not being wiped away)

True, but with Kevin Feige doing as he's done so far, I doubt he would acknowledge anything that Jeph Loeb produced, regardless of having a multiverse option to explain them.  I just don't think he'd spend the film-time (or even Disney+ series time) with them.  There's too much he has laid out, and too much MCU story to tell, where any discussion of the "Loeb-verse" would feel like a distracting waste of screen time.

I think the only way they MIGHT show up, is if Disney gives Kevin Feige, a "you must say something about the Jeph Loeb materials, or else," ultimatum.  But, given the films he's headed have been such incredible money-makers, I have severe doubts they'd try to force him to do anything that he didn't want to.

Oh, and after thinking about it more, I agree with your earlier post: re-using a Netflix actor like Charlie Cox in official MCU work would severely muddy the waters about what is and is not canon for those not obsessed enough to visit websites or threads about the MCU. ;)  So I'm OK with leaving it up to the MCU's head of casting (can't recall her name off the top of my head) to recast equally well when Kevin Feige decides to launch the Defenders (and Cloak & Dagger, and The Runaways, etc.) in one of his projects.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6637
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
It's too bad, I really liked Agents of SHIELD and quite a few of it's characters. But the one I wanted to make the transfer to movies the most was Ming Na Wen's Agent May. It would have been so much fun if in the Black Widow movie Romanov calls in The Cavalry!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 600
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Interesting note: The only time any MCU tv show reference ever showed up in a movie (rather than the other way around) was in Avengers: Endgame. There's a brief moment where we see Tony Stark's father's butler, Jarvis, played by the same actor, James D'Arcy, who first showed up in Agent Carter (which was also the only tv show that the Russo brothers ever headed up).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6637
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Interesting note: The only time any MCU tv show reference ever showed up in a movie (rather than the other way around) was in Avengers: Endgame. There's a brief moment where we see Tony Stark's father's butler, Jarvis, played by the same actor, James D'Arcy, who first showed up in Agent Carter (which was also the only tv show that the Russo brothers ever headed up).
I think the sudden appearance of the Heicarrier in Age of Ultron was supposed to be a tie in to Agents of SHEILD. Because Coulson was the one keeping it safe for Nick Fury.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7399
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
speaking of marvel tv stuff, i'm excited to see tatiana maslany as she-hulk. i wonder how many characters she'll be playing in it.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I think the sudden appearance of the Heicarrier in Age of Ultron was supposed to be a tie in to Agents of SHEILD. Because Coulson was the one keeping it safe for Nick Fury.

James D'Arcy appeared to be a nod to Loeb works.  But actors have been tapped to play characters in the TV series and then different roles in the films (e.g. Alfre Woodard playing both Mariah Dillard on Luke Cage, and "Miriam" in Civil War).  Yes, D'Arcy played Jarvis on the small and large screen.  But I would guess that, given his previous statements, Kevin Feige would simply say it was appropriate casting, not that the Agent Carter series were canon.  Just as including actors from the Russo's prior work doesn't mean that the TV show Community took place in the MCU.

And, yes, in Agents of SHIELD the Helicarrier was clearly stated to be a Coulson project, but NONE of that was mentioned in Age of Ultron.  So, again, Feige could just say the Helicarrier was in Nick Fury's garage or something.

There have been no words or explanations in any film that directly comments on events from any TV series.  Those very few, such as each of you mentioned, were implications of connectedness, rather than outright statements.  As has been said elsewhere, "if it is not stated outright in the films, it isn't canon."

Sad little me has watched each MCU film at least 10 times, and most Loeb Marvel TV series seasons at least twice.  And I've actually looked for 'backwards references' (from film referencing TV events) as I watched, noticing the 'close but not quite' references in the process, but no explicit connections.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 04:50:57 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3935
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Meanwhile, it looks like we have our Ms. Marvel:

https://www.ign.com/articles/ms-marvel-cast-iman-vellani

Never heard of her, but she's got the look at least.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Marvel Cinematic Universe upcoming releases, per D23 [I think it was, I found them on the Facebook MCU page].  Some have exact dates, some have partial dates, some have none.  But they are all in process to the point they had logos.  "[series]" means it will be released on Disney+.

WandaVision - [series] - 210115

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - [series] - 210319

Loki - [series] - May '21

What If? - [series] - Summer '21

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - 210709

Thor: Love and Thunder - 220506

Captain Marvel 2 - 221111

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special - [one-off] - 2212??

Fantastic Four - ?? ?? ??  -  (Probably in the open spot left in the schedule as "as-yet untitled Marvel movie, Oct 7, 2022".)  Announced: Jon "Spider-Man: 'Home' series" Watts for director.

Moon Knight - [series] - 22 ?? ??

She-Hulk - [series] - 22 ?? ??

Hawkeye - [series] - 22 ?? ??

Ant-Man and the Wasp [3]: Quantumania - ?? ?? ??

I Am Groot - [shorts] - ?? ?? ??

Armor Wars - [series] - ?? ?? ??  War Machine

Ironheart - [series] - ?? ?? ??

Secret Invasion - [series] - ?? ?? ??  Nick Fury's back

I'll be adding these to my updated list (first page, third post) when I can manage it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:28:53 PM by LucasM »