Author Topic: Marvel Shared Film Universe: MCU Theatrical & TV (discussion, crossovers, etc.)  (Read 24606 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4279
Well, much as I avoid spoilers, I've seen a couple images from Avengers: Infinity War.

I have to say, I'm not as impressed as I think I should be by the gauntlet itself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- - - CAUTION: NOT a true spoiler! - - -
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6653
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
- - - CAUTION: NOT a true spoiler! - - -

well, it did spoil my breakfast.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
The Disney buyout of Fox may not happen after all.  Comcast is trying to outbid Disney with more cash.  Read more HERE.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
[Please don't answer if the answer is in Infinity War (though I kinda' doubt its in there).]

From Avengers: Age of Ultron:  Is anyone ever going to address that there's (what: a 1/4 TON?) of vibranium embedded deep in the crater under where Sokovia used to be, or spread out on the surface in the area?  Clearly, from the internal workings of Ultron's machine, it was highly refined, so I just can't imagine it would simply turn to dust when the airborne city exploded as the rock did.  Any explosion large enough to vaporize vibranium likely would have done as much (or more) damage as letting it hit the ground.  [Plus any vibranium-augmented Ultron bodies would be large chunks of easily accessible vibranium to anyone interested.]

And, with that so easily available, why was Everett Ross going to pay a huge sum for a piddling little amount from a plow head in Black Panther, when there's a huge amount just lying around if someone just picked it up or dug it up?

So: who's gonna get all that vibranium and all its benefits?  I'd generally think that the Wakandans would have collected it all since they regretted it ever getting away in the first place, but that huge a Wakandan workforce (with highly advanced tools) would have been noticed.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2433
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
https://news.avclub.com/comcast-doesnt-want-wolverine-and-captain-america-to-fi-1826811614

Just curious, I didn't see any info in there that wasn't in this article:
The Disney buyout of Fox may not happen after all.  Comcast is trying to outbid Disney with more cash.  Read more HERE.
Did I miss something new (other than the snark at the end of the article)?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
https://news.avclub.com/comcast-doesnt-want-wolverine-and-captain-america-to-fi-1826811614

Yours reports a 'counter offer "in the advanced stages" that some estimated it to be in the range of $60 billion in cash,' the new one says it happened and what it actually was ($65 billion in cash for the whole lot). Seemed like an update to me.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

Yours reports a 'counter offer "in the advanced stages" that some estimated it to be in the range of $60 billion in cash,' the new one says it happened and what it actually was ($65 billion in cash for the whole lot). Seemed like an update to me.

Indeed - sorry.  I posted that in the middle of overall confusion (following two weeks of disruption caused by three cracked teeth and leading to the first of likely two root canals).

Here is the 'final say' on the bidding war:

FANTASTIC: Fox Accepts Disney's $71 Billion Bid Offer

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1498
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Cloak & Dagger isn't completely terrible.  I was worried about the characters being in High School, but it still has a Marvel "Netflix" feel to it. Real slow paced at times, but somewhat interesting to see the origin story progress.  (I think Runaways was a little better)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

Indeed - sorry.  I posted that in the middle of overall confusion (following two weeks of disruption caused by three cracked teeth and leading to the first of likely two root canals).

Here is the 'final say' on the bidding war:

FANTASTIC: Fox Accepts Disney's $71 Billion Bid Offer

And the final note on this whole stressful (well, to some) event:

ASTONISHING: Comcast Concedes to Disney; Backs Out of Fox Deal

We will, (eventually), get MCU Fantastic Four and X-Men!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
I get why this is bad in a very general sense, but within the context of this thread and topic - it's pretty great news. More for the Fantastic Four than the X-Men though. I am a bit worried about what adding X-Men will do. BUT they've been pretty consistently smart so far, so I remain fairly optimistic.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I get why this is bad in a very general sense, but within the context of this thread and topic - it's pretty great news. More for the Fantastic Four than the X-Men though. I am a bit worried about what adding X-Men will do. BUT they've been pretty consistently smart so far, so I remain fairly optimistic.

I agree.  In terms of entertainment monopolies, this is INCREDIBLY bad news.  In terms of the MCU, it is basically a sigh of "=FINALLY=!"

I agree on the FF > X-Men for potentially different reasons.  The FF have never been done correctly on film, while some of the X-Men films are very, very good (e.g. Days of Future Past, Logan, Deadpool).  To me, since the MCU (*cough* Buck/Loeb *cough*) fucked up the could-have-been-wonderful Inhumans franchise beyond repair, I think that the mutants could slip into the vacancy made by the vanishing inhumans (species).  [Honestly, I hope that Buck never gets to touch anything in the MCU ever again, between Iron Fist season 1 and the Inhumans.]

My understanding of how the MCU films are being done, is that they will be in longer collections of 'Phases' (e.g. the characters making up the Avengers only cover phases 1-4), so the 'super team' that is currently dominant won't be dominant for the next collection (which will, apparently, be more 'space-based' [with odd outlier, Spider-Man, about as terrestrial as they get]), then they could return to terrestrial films with X-Men.  I am hoping that the more cosmic FF stories will fit into the second over-arching phase of films (Phases 5-8 or 5-9), so we wouldn't have to wait another decade to get them.  But since Kevin Feige has had VERY long term plans for the MCU for a very long time, it is also possible there won't be any available entries for these properties for quite a few years, regardless.  [After the already-in-production non-MCU X-Men films finish, that is.]

Although, with the FOX Studios assets (movie production), it is possible that the MCU could potentially ramp up film production (I am hoping) and add an additional two (or more) films a year where the X-Men-related films used to fall.  That way, they could make either FF and X-Men films in parallel with already-planned Feige MCU plans (best option, I think), or else speed up the production of the long-term Feige plans so that they are done and space made for other franchises, sooner.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5367
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
I'm excited for a well done Fantastic Four movie, but I'm really interested in them finally doing Doctor Doom properly.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2754
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I just like that we don't have to settle for Inhumans as the MCU's mutants. And classic pairings that just happened to mix mutants and other superheroes can finally be established. Storm and Black Panther, Deadpool and Hydra Bob, The Great Lakes Avengers can be a thing now... Ooh they can actually pull off House of M.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Although, with the FOX Studios assets (movie production), it is possible that the MCU could potentially ramp up film production (I am hoping) and add an additional two (or more) films a year where the X-Men-related films used to fall.  That way, they could make either FF and X-Men films in parallel with already-planned Feige MCU plans (best option, I think), or else speed up the production of the long-term Feige plans so that they are done and space made for other franchises, sooner.

Long after writing this, I had a thought.  I don't think this idea was the intention (as the 20th C FOX purchase was nowhere near likely at the time it would have been scheduled).  But this year's Panther, Infinity War, A-M & Wasp films showed up in theaters roughly two months apart.  With the FOX studios film-making capacity now at Disney's command, possibly Disney/Marvel will look at the "easily met or greatly exceeded box office predictions" for all three films, and decide that the 'superhero burnout' that everyone who isn't a fan has been predicting since the X-Men first hit, is bullshit, and that the market can - and WILL - welcome as much GOOD product as they can crank out...

... and with the assets of FOX Studios increasing the number of films they can produce, they'll give us a new MCU entry every-other month.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D