Author Topic: Marvel Shared Film Universe: MCU Theatrical & TV (discussion, crossovers, etc.)  (Read 21322 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2288
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
hmmmm risk the saturday crowds to see Strange or wait till sometime next week.

We have tickets for tomorrow afternoon :D
FINE

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6604
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1493
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
 :D Where's that dang Like button?

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4088
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Rather bummed to read this.  :(

Netflix’s arm of the MCU is building towards its own Avengers-style team-up, The Defenders, in 2017. In a departure from the norm, the season will run to only eight episodes rather than than the 13-strong runs of Jessica Jones, Daredevil and Luke Cage.

From: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/netflix-defenders-will-run-eight-episodes/

The article does, however, apparently clearly contradict the 3rd hand account of it already starting filming:
The first two episodes of The Defenders also have a director in place.

Having "a director in place" is hardly "starting filming [today]".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:29:04 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty

Netflix’s arm of the MCU is building towards its own Avengers-style team-up, The Defenders, in 2017. In a departure from the norm, the season will run to only eight episodes rather than than the 13-strong runs of Jessica Jones, Daredevil and Luke Cage.

From: http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/netflix-defenders-will-run-eight-episodes/

The article does, however, apparently clearly contradict the 3rd hand account of it already starting filming:
The first two episodes of The Defenders also have a director in place.

Having "a director in place" is hardly "starting filming [today]".

A shorter season that is as great as the others is fine - I'd rather they didn't pad it out to make 13 eps.

AND we're scheduled to get Iron Fist and The Punisher in 2017 as well, so that means they are upping the release schedule too.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes

A shorter season that is as great as the others is fine - I'd rather they didn't pad it out to make 13 eps.

AND we're scheduled to get Iron Fist and The Punisher in 2017 as well, so that means they are upping the release schedule too.

True on the increased release schedule (hope they do that with the films, and increase to four a year), but with Loeb already saying, "these are four people who have very different ways of looking at their lives... now let's put them together and see what happens" [in the same '8 ep' article], eight episodes seems a bit short to do the character exploration that could be possible for their gaining a level of cohesion to work on the big bad.  And of course, with no announced plans for a second Defenders season, it would simply be nice to get 'more'.

Of course something I didn't think of when writing the first could play a role.  That is that the choice of eight episodes vs. 13 could also be financial.  Netflix could have said, "you have $X for this season," and they couldn't do what they wanted to if the show was 13 episodes long (building sets, going to locations, CGI work, etc.).  In other words: with their budget, and their expectations for what they are doing, it is possible they simply couldn't have afforded more than eight episodes.

Oh, and with the 'filming'/'not filming', I don't know what to think, because this was just posted on Facebook:

"Jessica Jones and Misty Knight on the set of THE DEFENDERS!"
If that is true, then yes, filming for Defenders has already started, just as Cox had said (3rd hand).

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
Well, on one hand it might not seem like enough time to develop them, but on the other hand, it's the equivalent runtime of four movies, so think of how much one can do with four movies.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
Well, on one hand it might not seem like enough time to develop them, but on the other hand, it's the equivalent runtime of four movies, so think of how much one can do with four movies.

I understand it is equivalent to four films.  But it is also possibly the only Defenders we'll get.  Or, if not, it may be another three years before they do another season given how long it's taken to schedule additional series and with the appearance that Netflix has a limit of two or three to how many Marvel seasons of any kind they'll fund/release in a year.  So for a potential 'one-off', or even a 'one-every-three-years'-off I don't feel it is enough.  [Yes, I realize I'm greedy. ;D]

I'm just thinking of the subtlety and details involved in the Netflix/Marvel series so far.  How easy would it be to do Daredevil season 2 with the interactions with Electra and Punisher if they only had eight episodes?  And that's one less main character than Defenders.  [Yes, I also understand that neither Electra nor Punisher had their own series first so the characters had to be built up from scratch, where all four Defenders will have had at least one season under their belts by the time Defenders is released.]

I think if they had announced that The Defenders was going to be only eight episodes when they first announced it would occur, I would likely not have a problem with the shorter season.  It is the fact that they have apparently already started shooting, and they are only just now saying, "oh, by the way: it'll only be 61% as long as the other Netflix/Marvel series," that has ticked me off about it.

[Also keep in mind: my life is SO limited by my injuries, that there is VERY little I look forward to.  To have the rug pulled out, or shortened, on something like this at this late date has its effects.  Like being told a couple months in advance you are getting 'x' for Christmas as a kid, but then a couple weeks' before Christmas being told: "oh, you're only getting 61% of x, actually".  If you're feeling shitty to begin with, that would really have an impact.]

[TMFI (I think people can guess the 'F') & I can tell I'm seizing from yesterday, despite the extra meds I've taken for it.  (146 trick-or-treaters in an hour and 20 minutes.  Keeping track of and at least nominally interacting with each [plus parents for the younger ones], when interacting with ONE person for that long takes me a couple weeks to recover from.)]

If someone responds to this, please don't quote it.  I may delete all or part of it later (when I'm more functional).  Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:15:45 AM by LucasM »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
Hey, I'd love more, more, more too! I can't wait until there is at least one new MCU release a week! That's the world I want to live in. But, in 2017 we're getting:

Iron Fist
Defenders
Punisher
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Spider-Man
Thor Ragnarok
Agents of SHIELD
Damage Control
Cloak & Dagger

So, that's a pretty great slate for one year! :D

(I suspect you are probably right this will be the only Defenders series we get, but I think there's a possibility of a Heroes For Hire series)
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I can't wait until there is at least one new MCU release a week! That's the world I want to live in.

I fully support this!!  ;D

Damage Control is confirmed?  I hadn't seen that.  I thought it was still being considered (with just a script, but not even a pilot, ordered yet).

I do agree that nine is a reasonable number, with Iron Fist and Punisher being ~13 hours each, Defenders ~8, SHIELD ~15, the three films ~2 each, that's still only(::)) 55 hours of Marvel on film for the year.  If Damage Control is confirmed, then that'd be maybe 7 1/2 more if it is a standard '1/2 hour' sitcom (though IMDb has it listed as a TV Movie at this point), and Cloak and Dagger either 7 1/2 or 15 depending on if it is designed to fill a half-hour block or full hour (guessing the latter).  If C&D is an 'hour' (~41 mins), then that's 77 1/2 hours for a year.

That breaks down into only one hour of new Marvel every four 3/4 days!

Not enough. ;D

[Hopefully it is clear I realize I'm being unreasonable here.]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:02:25 PM by LucasM »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
I know Damage Control was a 'put pilot' so at very least we should see something.

The ABC Entertainment president said it would be part of the 2016-17 season, and I haven't heard anything different yet, so I assume it's still coming.
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
I know Damage Control was a 'put pilot' so at very least we should see something.

The ABC Entertainment president said it would be part of the 2016-17 season, and I haven't heard anything different yet, so I assume it's still coming.

That's great!  Looking forward to still more variety from the company that seems to have a lock on quality entertainment (with the exception of an average Agents of SHIELD episode here and there [which episodes those are being completely personal preference, of course ;)]).

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
I wonder if the pilot for Most Wanted will ever see the light of day? An extra on an Agents of SHIELD set maybe?
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1493
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
I wonder if the pilot for Most Wanted will ever see the light of day? An extra on an Agents of SHIELD set maybe?

I hope so! I really wanted to see that show get picked up.