login

Author Topic: “The Lion King”  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
“The Lion King”
« on: September 29, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »
Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”
We can officially confirm that The Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau are putting a new reimagining of The Lion King on the fast track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April and has earned $965.8 million worldwide.

The Lion King builds on Disney’s success of reimagining its classics for a contemporary audience with films like Maleficent, Cinderella, and The Jungle Book. The upcoming Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson as Belle, is already one of the most anticipated movies of 2017. Like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King will include songs from the animated film. Disney and Favreau are also in development on a sequel to The Jungle Book. No release date has been announced for either film.

The Lion King
(1994) is one of the biggest animated films of all time with a lifetime global box office gross of $968.8 million, including $422.8 million domestically.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: “The Lion King”
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »
*sigh* It's bad enough all these UNNECESSARY live action remakes are being made, but why do talented filmmakers like Jon Favreau have to keep wasting their time with them? He could be making much more interesting original movies instead.

Besides, does it really count as a "live action remake" when they're all animals that will be done in CGI?

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »
I'd rather have him work on a Talespin adaptation.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
I'd rather have him work on a Talespin adaptation.

Now that would get me in the theater.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
Besides, does it really count as a "live action remake" when they're all animals that will be done in CGI?
That's the part that gets me. They call it a CGI/Live Action hybrid, but where the heck would you find any live action in a movie that's 100% anthropomorphic characters?

It feels like literally any other Disney movie would be more open to "Live Action." They picked the only Disney movie where people are 100% absent before going for Aladdin or The Little Mermaid? Heck, even mostly-animal movies like Lady and the Tramp would work better.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »
That's the part that gets me. They call it a CGI/Live Action hybrid, but where the heck would you find any live action in a movie that's 100% anthropomorphic characters?

It feels like literally any other Disney movie would be more open to "Live Action." They picked the only Disney movie where people are 100% absent before going for Aladdin or The Little Mermaid? Heck, even mostly-animal movies like Lady and the Tramp would work better.
Well if they go the Dinosaurs (no, not the sitcom) route...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »
Ah, yes. I guess there's another Disney movie without people in it.

Man, what happened with that movie? One of the highest grossing movies of the year and nobody EVER brings it up. Even on die-hard Disney Facebook pages that talk about Oliver and Company, The Black Cauldron, and Atlantis: The Lost Empire, you never hear anyone talk about Dinosaurs. I saw it, enjoyed it, and promptly forgot it. If there's a more forgettable movie out there, I've forgotten about it.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »
I have Dinosaur on DVD.  I may be the only person in existence who actually owns a copy.  Everyone else goes, "Oh, hey!  I remember that existed!" before passing it on the movie shelf.  To be fair, it was already almost a live-action/CG rip-off of "Land Before Time."

I think I may know why this is getting made, though.  Disney is thoroughly scared that a new generation of kids is growing up and thinks hand-drawn animation is crap...that's one of the reasons they closed (and then re-opened, but beyond Winnie the Pooh I don't know if it stayed open) their traditional cel studio.  Even though it's a personal story and not hard evidence, I have a friend who is a teacher that tried to show an older Disney movie to the class and the class wasn't at all interested.  And beyond that, some people just can't get into it...I've heard some people complain it's a 'second level of unreality,' where they can't get beyond the fact that they know the characters onscreen are fictional because they're clearly not real and thus can't get into the story.  (To be fair, I hope that is a group of people that is few and far between, because that sadly shuts a lot of doors to good stuff.)

So, it's all about trying to reach people who hate animation, by using...well, animation, but more 3D-ish.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »
I have Dinosaur on DVD.  I may be the only person in existence who actually owns a copy.  Everyone else goes, "Oh, hey!  I remember that existed!" before passing it on the movie shelf.  To be fair, it was already almost a live-action/CG rip-off of "Land Before Time."

I think I may know why this is getting made, though.  Disney is thoroughly scared that a new generation of kids is growing up and thinks hand-drawn animation is crap...that's one of the reasons they closed (and then re-opened, but beyond Winnie the Pooh I don't know if it stayed open) their traditional cel studio.  Even though it's a personal story and not hard evidence, I have a friend who is a teacher that tried to show an older Disney movie to the class and the class wasn't at all interested.  And beyond that, some people just can't get into it...I've heard some people complain it's a 'second level of unreality,' where they can't get beyond the fact that they know the characters onscreen are fictional because they're clearly not real and thus can't get into the story.  (To be fair, I hope that is a group of people that is few and far between, because that sadly shuts a lot of doors to good stuff.)

So, it's all about trying to reach people who hate animation, by using...well, animation, but more 3D-ish.

Yeah, you should see the kind of stuff kids like these days.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2QqLp8FnXUo&amp;list=PLg6R6yXKSLYDm2piDZL8n22qlt_olZUeJ&amp;index=56" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2QqLp8FnXUo&amp;list=PLg6R6yXKSLYDm2piDZL8n22qlt_olZUeJ&amp;index=56</a>

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:57 PM »
Hey, I didn't say I necessarily believe that stance...I've seen the stuff on Saturday mornings and the hit shows on Cartoon Network.  But Disney is looking at its bottom line, and Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh made a lot less than Zootopia.  And far be it a matter of proper marketing...clearly it's the medium that's the problem. ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
Yeah. Princess and the Frog did OK. Winnie the Pooh had a very niche appeal and was up against a new Harry Potter movie. I really hope they can look beyond that sampling and put in a real effort.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
Yeah. Princess and the Frog did OK. Winnie the Pooh had a very niche appeal and was up against a new Harry Potter movie. I really hope they can look beyond that sampling and put in a real effort.
But the chart says...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 02:45:34 AM »
Hey, I didn't say I necessarily believe that stance...I've seen the stuff on Saturday mornings and the hit shows on Cartoon Network.  But Disney is looking at its bottom line, and Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh made a lot less than Zootopia.  And far be it a matter of proper marketing...clearly it's the medium that's the problem. ;)

Oh I know. I was just looking for an excuse to post that video.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 05:54:30 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4CbLXeGSDxg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4CbLXeGSDxg</a>

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »
Can you have an uncanny valley in a movie with no people? Because that's the impression I got from that teaser.