Author Topic: October 2016 Horror Movie a Day  (Read 6823 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
October 2016 Horror Movie a Day
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:13:21 PM »
Well, it's almost that time of year again (and to be honest, I've started early; I've been in a mood lately), and the yearly challenge is back, for those who are interested.  Essentially, through your own free will, the challenge is to watch a horror movie a day for the month.

There are some rules, from previous years:
1. Horror has many varied definitions, and many movies can fall into that category.  Use your own judgment as to what constitutes a horror movie or not, but some things are obvious.  Friday the 13th and Silence of the Lambs are equally valid targets, but just because one finds Disney teens terrifying does not mean the Hillary Duff movie counts.

2. You are allowed to backlog, but NOT frontload.  If you miss a day, you can make it up on subsequent days, but if you watch three in one day, it doesn't count for the next three days.  However, if you feel like watching more than one in a day for fun, feel free to do so...you're not limited to just one, whether you miss or not.

3. Movies must be considered feature length to count...that is, based on old-timey definitions, 40 minutes or more in length.  If you enjoy watching half hour specials, watch at least two on that day.  Or, just watch them for fun.

4. As fans of this forum should be aware, riffed movies are not only perfectly acceptable, but encouraged.  Nobody said the horror movie had to be GOOD.

5. Experiment!  In previous years, we've had 'challenges' set up, but this year, try challenging yourself in any way you see fit.  Watch new stuff, old stuff, stuff without subtitles, stuff with the wrong subtitles.  In the end, it is a challenge, but dammit, have fun with it!

6. Feel free to write reviews.  Chances are you're bound to watch something that people on the forum haven't seen, or even if you have, sometimes it's fun to just analyze.

7. Everything starts on October 1st at midnight, and ends October 31st at 11:59 PM (it's OK if a movie runs past midnight, as long as it was started prior to).  For the sake of your own sanity, use your own personal time zone.

I still think I'm missing a rule, but if I did or not, enjoy and have fun!
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
Re: October 2016 Horror Movie a Day
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 01:37:24 AM »
My Running List:

Oct 1: Scouts' Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015, Zombies)
Oct 2: Dead 7 (2016, Zombies)
Oct 3: Monster Dog (1984, Werewolves, and a mess of other stuff)
Oct 4: Bleed (2016, Cannibal Ghost)
Oct 5: Overtime (2011, Alien zombie things)
Oct 6: Terrortory (2016, anthology)
Oct 7: Spirit Camp (2009, serial killer)
Oct 8: Die Die Delta Pi (2008, serial killer)
Oct 9: Dam Shark (2016, sharks. Who build dams)
Oct 10: Atomic Shark (2016, shark. Radioactive this time)
Oct 11: Swarm of the Snakehead (2006, fish lizards. Who spit acid.)
Oct 12: Lavarantula (2015, fire spiders)
Oct 13: 2 Lava 2 Rantula (2016, fire spiders)
Oct 14: Grizzly (1976, a bear)
Oct 15: Rifftrax - Astro Zombies (1968, Quasi-Men)
Oct 16: Final Girl (2015, Serial Killers)
Oct 17: Piranha Sharks (2015,microscopic piranha shark-hybrids)
Oct 18: Hellraiser 2: Hellbound (1989, Cenobites)
Oct 19: High Spirits (1988, Ghosts)
Oct 20: Maggie (2015, Zombies)
Oct 21: The Linda Vista Project (2014, Ghosts)
Oct 22: Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark (2014, a giant shark)
Oct 23: Teenagers from Outer Space (1959, Aliens and the gorgon) (Unriffed)
Oct 24: Chill: The Killing Game (2015,Serial killer)
Oct 25: Terror in the Aisles (1984, No one! It's a documentary!)
Oct 26: Alone in the Dark (1982, psychos)
Oct 27: Rifftrax Live: Carnival of Souls (1962, Organ Music)
Oct 28: Mega Shark vs. Kolossus (2015, Shark and giant robot)
Oct 29: MST3k: The Killer Shrews (1992, dogs dressed like shrews)
Oct 30: Holidays (2016, Anthology)
Oct 31: Rifftrax: The Last Shark (2016, Sharks)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:04:22 PM by Compound »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »
Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)

After returning from a camping trip, a trio of scouts (not Boy Scouts, just generic scouts, 'cause otherwise, the BSA would have to get paid) discover that their town has overrun by zombies.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. Let's start with the fact that pretty much everyone in the film reacts to zombies in the same manner that folks from a culture who've been exposed to twenty years of zombie films and TV would. A few seconds of "What's going on?" followed by "Oh, zombies" and everyone reacts fairly rationally at that point. And the zombies aren't the usual zombies as they show a bit of speed and some residual intelligence as well. The scouts themselves aren't just punchlines for jokes either. All in all, yeah. This was actually a pretty good zombie film. Not "Dawn of the Dead" in quality, but it easily outshines, say, "Cooties" or "Zombie Beach Party."

Dead 7 (2016)
In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, a group of 7 cowboys unite to save a town under an attack from a zombie horde.

Hey. An Asylum film. And apparently a higher budget one of theirs. Actual sets. A director who understood that the camera shouldn't be pointed directly at CGI effects. And a lot of actors who used to be in boy bands. Seriously, you've got 3 Backstreet Boys, someone from 98 Degrees, and some folks from N-Sync, O-town and All 4 One. And the lead singer from Everclear, for some reason. (And Jon Secada, whom I had completely forgotten about.)  Ignoring that, this is pretty simply using the "Seven Samurai" formula and putting it in a zombie setting, which I'm surprised has not been done before. And, surprisingly enough, an actual  wrinkle  in the standard formula- the zombie horde is being used by a living who is aiming them at her targets. It's not bad. It's not great, but it's watchable at least. The main issue is probably the acting as some of the boy band members are not the best actors. Not MST3k-level bad, but "yeah, probably should have hired someone else" level. There's also the usual "how long has it been since the epidemic started? It seems like at least a few years. Wouldn't the zombies' clothes disintegrated by now? How are they still alive? Wouldn't they have run out of things to eat? " questions that aren't answered. As well as "Why doesn't your village have more protection than a chain-link fence? Why not build an actual solid wall and some defenses?" or "When zombies break in, why does the guy with katanas on his back reach for a pool cue to fend them off? Why is the guy with a sniper rifle trying to use it to shoot at things inside the room that he is in?"  or "Why is everyone in this film sporting serious ink? Seriously, Maori warriors have fewer tattoos than many of the villagers. Were tattoo parlors the places where survivors made their stand?" But most of those are just nitpicking. As said above, it's a decent enough zombie film. Good but not great. And it has Joey Fatone chewing scenery.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:53:21 PM »
Running List:
1. Holidays (2016)
2. Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)
3. The Collector (2009)
4. Rifftrax: Last Slumber Party (1988/2014)
5. Troll (1986)
6. Shrieker (1998)
7. Event Horizon (1997)
8. Corpse Bride (2005)
9. Goosebumps (2015)
10. Extraordinary Tales (2015)
11. Rifftrax: Mutant (1984/2012)
12. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
13. Fright Night (1985)
14. Jaws 3-D (emphasis on 3D) (1983)
15. Infini (2015)
16. Jaws 2 (1978)
17. Lurking Fear (1994)
18. Dark Moon Rising (2015)   :grr:
19. Vampire's Coffin (1958)
20. The Howling (1981)
21. Rifftrax: Rock n Roll Nightmare (1987/2015)
22. Jurassic Park (1993)/Rifftrax: Psycho II (1983/2013)
23. Evil Dead II (1987)
24. Cinester Theater: Resident Evil Degeneration (2008/Unsure of riffing date)
25. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010)
26. The Blob (1958)
27. Rifftrax Live: Carnival of Souls (1962/2016)
28. Cronos (1992)
29. House (1977)
30. Garfield's Halloween Adventure/A Disney Halloween (1985/1982)
31. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown/Van Helsing (1966/2004)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:12:25 PM by SJP »

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
Running list:

October 1: Peeping Tom (1960)
October 2: Preservation (2014)
October 3: Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)
October 4: Holidays (2016)
October 5: Darling (2015)
October 6: Cabin Fever (2016)
October 7:
October 8: 31 (2016)
October 9: The Blob (1958)
October 10: House (1977)
October 11: Severance (2005)
October 11: Don't Breathe (2016)  make-up for October 7
October 12: Cronos (1993)
October 13: Tourist Trap (1979)
October 14: Night of the Living Deb (2015)
October 15: Fiend Without a Face (1958)
October 16: The Howling (1981)
October 17: Cheap Thrills (2013)
October 18: Der Samurai (2014)
October 19: Ouija (2014)
October 20: Yoga Hosers (2016)
October 21: They Look Like People (2015)
October 22: Donkey Punch (2008)
October 23: What We Become (2016)
October 24:
October 25:
October 26: Before I Wake (2016)
October 26: The Neon Demon (2016) make up for the 24th
October 26: Maximum Overdrive (1986) make up for the 25th
October 27: Oujia: Origin of Evil (2016)
October 27: Carnival of Souls (1962) (Rifftrax Live)
October 28:
October 29: Creep (2014)
October 30: Faces of Death (1978)
October 30: Angst (1983) make up for the 28th
October 31: GirlHouse (2014)
October 31: Dead Set (2008)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:07:16 AM by JimJ »

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:14:08 PM »
Holidays (2016)
Yet another of the recent spat of Anthology Movie series, each segment helmed by a different director, each finding a holiday in which to build a sense of horror.  Even more so than ABCs of Death or V/H/S, this one, despite each one getting about fifteen minutes to build story and character, give or take, is even more miss than hit than those are.  But, since they ARE so hit and miss, the only way to review it is to do each segment separately:
1. Valentine's Day: A bullied high school girl finds a creative way to show her affection to her swimming coach...and deal with the head bully along the way.  Tries to be funny, but only ends up awkward, and drags on too long for the point it's making.  Skippable.
2. St. Patrick's Day: An Irish teacher's wild night of partying leads to her being pregnant, but her baby isn't as human as she wishes it would be.  Now, I can't say this story is good, but it is so wacky, bizarre, weird, and intentionally funny that it made me laugh.  It is incredibly stupid on a Kung Pow level, and despite its issues (for one, it's not scary whatsoever), I can't help but give it kudos for being memorable.
3. Easter: A girl wakes in the middle of the night and meets the Easter Bunny.  He's nothing like what any of us would expect.  The story itself is harmless, and the monster is kind of creepy make-up wise, but its first appearance guarantees uncomfortable laughter.  Unfortunately, just as it looks interesting, it stops.  Firmly placed in the 'OK' pile.
4. Mother's Day: A woman who can't help but get pregnant every time she has sex goes to an infertility 'clinic' in the desert, where she gets all the help she doesn't need.  The St. Patrick's story covered a weird pregnancy much better.  This story is dull, plodding, not at all scary, and pretty much pointless.  It's not even weird enough to be fun.  Worst segment of the whole movie, hands down.
5. Father's Day: A young woman gets a tape from her long-thought-dead Father, asking her to meet him at the place where he disappeared.  I would love to hate this one, as it doesn't have a firm resolution and very little actually happens until the end (and no questions really get answered), but even though it is incredibly similar to Easter, I really liked this one.  It's not so much the story told as the way it is told; it is incredibly moody, and tense, and is the only one of the eight films I would say was actually 'horrific' in any way.
6. Halloween: Ian runs a 'lady webcam' service.  Ian mistreats his ladies.  Ian is about to have the worst day of his life.  You can tell in five seconds this is Kevin Smith's entry, between its opening in a convenience store and the language, and it proves to be much more black comedy than horror.  It's also one of the few movies to have a definitive resolution, which is a plus, but the premise itself is kind of goofy.  I'd say it was OK at best.
7. Christmas: Seth Green is a father who, desperate to get the new uVu imagination-driven headset for his family, steals it from a dying man.  However, the visions he sees in the headset prove to be a lot more disturbing than he thought they'd be.  I really liked this one, too, to the point that this really should be a longer film.  It is still more black comedy than horror, but it really is one of the better ones in the collection.
8. New Year: A psychotic on a dating website meets his new victim, who he mentions he has 96% in common with...and if that doesn't tip you off, I don't know what will.  Has a touch of gore, but this story has been done before, and nothing is really new here.  Did think it was kind of funny that a MadTV alumus is the main character, though, and I thought the twist it was heading for at the end would've been hilarious...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...but it didn't go quite THAT far.  Skippable.
Overall, I say watch at least Father's Day and Christmas.  Maybe Halloween.  The rest are fairly skippable.

Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)
As for why this one, I may have to make some caveats this year in order to watch stuff with my wife in the house (I made her watch Halloween last year and, as someone who is not a purveyor of scary movies, has not quite forgiven me for it just yet), so this is one of those. 

Dracula's half-vampire grandson appears to be less monster and more human.  But Drac knows better, even if his daughter doesn't, and he's determine to prove it before his daughter decides to move away to somewhere he can grow up more 'normal.'

As a movie with Adam Sandler in it, it's one of his better recent efforts.  It's silly and harmless, and Mel Brooks' cameo is a nice addition.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:12:08 AM by SJP »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:53:09 AM »
Side note- for those who are looking for random films to watch, the over-the-air Comet channel (which also shows MST3k)  will be showing stuff all month. I just caught the tail end of something with a lot of cockroaches and some rather disturbing makeup. (The Nest, my IMDB search tells me.) You can watch it online at http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/ as well

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 07:55:12 AM »
Side note- for those who are looking for random films to watch, the over-the-air Comet channel (which also shows MST3k)  will be showing stuff all month. I just caught the tail end of something with a lot of cockroaches and some rather disturbing makeup. (The Nest, my IMDB search tells me.) You can watch it online at http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/ as well
I've heard that Comet is censoring MST3K pretty ridiculously (bleeping out words that aren't even really swear words). Not sure if I trust them to show decent horror movie unmolested then.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
1. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
This was pretty lame.  But I think the biggest crime is the nonsense ending.  They clearly wanted a big twist and perhaps a way to move beyond Michael Myers despite the fact that clearly Myers is the money maker.  But the worst part is that it makes NO sense.  Not from a storytelling standpoint and not from a character stand point.  I mean, these aren't very strong or interesting characters to begin with but even within those constraints, it makes no friggin' sense.  But at least, we get to see Donald Pleasance ham it up in the last scene in the most hilarious way possible.  He clearly doesn't want to be in the franchise anymore but I think he liked doing this stupid scene.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:23 AM »
2.  Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
This is pretty bad and it also disappeared from my memory pretty quickly, apparently.  The only thing I specifically remember is an element that I think is a big misunderstanding: Dr. Loomis talks about Michael being fueled by rage, but I don't by that.  If anything, he's maybe a nihilist but is also way too alien in thinking to really be representative of rage.  He's more of an unknown horror.  But that misstep pales in comparison to...

3. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
I knew this was the one with druids, so I was hoping that, like Season of the Witch, it would be so bad it's good.  Instead, I'm just embarrassed for Paul Rudd, particularly when he has to tell Donald Pleasance that "Michael Myers is under the influence of a rune."  It's such a deeply wrongheaded turn for the franchise in a series where each one makes an increasingly dumb decision.  I mean, I already thought it was bad to have Michael related to Laurie Strode, but in this one, Michael is targeting his rape baby for ritual sacrifice because it turns out he's only evil because of druids.  I will say this: Donald Pleasance is actually trying a bit in the face of some of the worst material he's ever given.  Also, I absolutely hate most times a horror movie has an asshole character that we can cheer the death of.  This one had two, both of whom had almost nothing to do with the incomprehensible main plot.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
3. The Collector (2009)
A thief, needing money for his ex-wife's loan shark debts, robs the house he has been contracted to help renovate.  Little does he know a psychotic has decided to terrorize the family there the same night.
Your mileage may vary on this movie (you do have to suspend your disbelief as to how The Collector has set up his entire array of perfectly placed traps in the span of a few hours), but even having seen it before, it's amazing how tense the first half of this movie still is.  It's nice to see a movie in which the hero is actually fairly smart and is able to outsmart the villain for a large part of the running time, without the villain seeming any less creepy or powerful.  And the claustrophobic nature of the movie works in its favor.  It does have stuff that works against it (its Saw-esque nature, the utter stupid of the people the hero tries to rescue), but compared to the laugh-out loud mess of its sequel, this one still holds its mood very well.

4. Rifftrax: The Last Slumber Party (1988/2014)
I can't believe the original movie is from 1988.  Most of it looks and sounds like it was made in '82, minimum.  But hey, it's still one of Rifftrax's best.  Classic moment: "Hang on, just a sec, I'm going to trying something here, there, what do you think?"
One funny thing: I had this on for a bit while I was thinking of something horrific to watch, and then realized what it was that I was watching.  Ah, well.

5. Troll (1986)
Harry Potter deals with an ancient wizard, transformed into a troll because of his attempt to rule the world millennia ago, who has three days to turn the entire population of an apartment complex into pods so he can bring magic back into the world.  Yes, this is a sentence that now exists.
I've always had a soft spot for this movie, since seeing Sonny Bono turn into a green pod when I was about 6 or so freaked me out and is forever stuck in my mind, but it is funny to go back and watch it (and it wasn't that long ago that I saw it, to be honest) and realize just how juvenile a movie it is.  From what I understand, the Band Brothers were in charge of the production and wanted something kid-friendly (mostly kid-friendly, anyway) while director John Carl Buechler wanted something nasty and violent.  What we got was their compromise; a slasher film with no bite and dialogue written by children, and a family film that is far too mean-spirited and weird for kids to get into.  It is a movie in dire need of a remake, because the idea actually isn't that bad, but it is hampered by piss poor rubber monsters and a very off-putting and weird aesthetic.  None of this means I didn't enjoy it (it's still a guilty pleasure), but it isn't quite the step above Troll 2 I used to think it was (though it is still above that ridiculous tripe, to be sure).
Still, the Torak troll costume is impressively convincing, and the rest of the monsters would've benefited from being played by actual people instead of hand puppets.
Another fun fact: According to IMDb, Julia Louis-Dreyfus was later embarrassed to appear in this movie, and didn't take too kindly to Jimmy Fallon playing a clip of her from it on his talk show a few years ago.  She shouldn't be too concerned; nothing anyone does in this movie can be anywhere near as embarrassing as the lines June Lockhart was forced to shout.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
Just as quick addendum: as my movies are still in boxes for a few more days and I'm watching streaming stuff, I have to say, Hulu has a WAY better selection of Horror stuff this year than Netflix.  While Netflix appears to be focusing on more recent, bargain basement crap (I'm looking at you, Zoo-mbies), Hulu has a lot of classic stuff (Vincent Price in his prime, I mean), 80s flicks (Child's Play), and even some Full Moon Entertainment schlock before that kind of thing became everyone's cup of tea (just stumbled across Shrieker, which I haven't seen, and am thinking is my next target).  If you don't have Hulu, check out the free trial and see if there's anything there you'd be interested in.  I know I was shocked when they carried the 1980 cult favorite "The Children" a couple of years ago, which I had heard about but had never seen.  For selection, they're surprisingly competitive, in this genre at least.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 07:11:16 AM »
4. Halloween H20 Twenty Years Later

That's too long a title.  While not a particularly good movie, it at least makes a lot of headway in course correcting in the series.  I still don't like the idea of Laurie and Michael being related (similarly I don't like that Peter Parker's parents were secret agents).  But Steve Miner of all directors manages to fix a lot of stuff.  None of the characters are unlikable jerks designed to have their deaths cheered on. I mean, the kids kind of are jerky, but not in the boring slasher way.  Josh Harnett and the other teens are largely forgettable but the film wisely focuses less on body count and more on the intensity of being chased.  The chase scenes are rather dynamic and the film does a good job using certain expectations of the series to our advantage.  I like that Laurie, knowing that the seemingly dead Michael  is playing possum, kidnaps his corpse so she can kill it (though it might have made more sense just to kill it right there and then).  I didn't like LL Cool J's wacky novel-writing subplot however.  They played up the dumb comedy with him way too much and I think with a little tweaking they might have had a good character with him.  The soap opera stuff didn't quite work either.  Again, there's potential for interesting drama between the two and the film tries at that in a way I admire, but it's pretty unsuccessful.

Despite this, I'd only give it a 2 out of 4 stars but it's a strong too and a BIG improvement over the previous 3 films. Now to finish off the original Michael series tonight (I'll watch Season of the Witch again some other day).

Oh, there is a somewhat effective scene that takes place in a public bathroom that's rather effective, but it also painted itself into a corner: it's a little disappointing that it just ends with Michael letting some people go but I certainly didn't want to see a sweet little girl and her mother brutally murdered while going potty.  I feel like that scene actually could have made a good first act for it's own scary movie about a mom and her daughter in the middle of nowhere with a madman.

EDIT
5. Halloween: Resurrection
Well, the last movie spoiled the goodwill created by the previous film.  It's quite bad and it's problem with unlikable characters is almost as bad as part 6.  Also, it's trying to give the audience a message about the artifice of reality TV, which seems old hat in 2002.  BTW, if you want to see a better horror film about people in a reality internet show, watch My Little Eye.  It's also way too campy and jokey for it's own good.  I find that a little more forgivable in a Jason movie, but it never feels quite right in Halloween.  Also, they make the weird decision to have Busta Rhymes be the guy who defeats Michael.  With kung fu kicks that he watched on the TV.  I like that the last two films made clear efforts to have a black person survive in each one, but there's Busta's greedy producer character that warrants the really half-hearted redemption of kind of gets at the film's end.  Also, Rhymes gives a speech about how Michael Myers shouldn't be celebrated to the press.  This is a really odd and dumb movie.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:24:08 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
6. Shrieker (1998)

Six college students all squat in an abandoned hospital, but one of them has secretly summoned a creature that requires the death of five souls to send it back to its dimension, in order to learn unfathomable secrets.  But who of them is the summoner, and will the monster be defeated before the ritual is finished?

It sounds better than it is.  As yet another Band Brothers Production (this time under their official Full Moon Productions banner, aka The Asylum with no CG, rubber monsters, and only slightly more class and dignity), it suffers from a lack of budget for both acting, scenery, and whatnot, and is actually more boring and forgettable than Troll.  However, the ending is genuinely hilarious...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not one of their better efforts, but compared to the Asylum, it's competent.  The monster has a nice design, but for something made out of nothing but skulls and claws, it should do freakier things than it does.