login

Author Topic: Hobgoblins?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Hobgoblins?
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:49:49 AM »
This is a suggestion. Now this MST3K classic would be a perfect Rifftrax Live classic, concerning how I suspect some scenes are cut from the episode as well as the song "Hobgoblins" would be fun to sing.

If not, then probably "Hobgoblins 2" (yes folks, there IS a sequel). That sequel deserves to be riffed!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:12:57 AM by JusSonic »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3816
  • Now you're playing with power!
Re: Hobgoblins!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:51:24 AM »
This probably belongs in the "suggestions" section than here.  Wouldn't want to confuse people who become excited, thinking a Hobgoblins riff is definitely going to happen.

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:57:45 AM »
This probably belongs in the "suggestions" section than here.  Wouldn't want to confuse people who become excited, thinking a Hobgoblins riff is definitely going to happen.

Sorry, I wasn't telling folks that there's going to be one, I am just saying these films might be good Rifftrax Live stuff. My bad.

Still, I suggested "Sharknado 3" and it wasn't a problem then.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3816
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:09:34 AM »
I'd say it's a little different.  First, the wording of the Sharknado headline (there's a question mark in it) makes it clear it is a suggestion.  Second, the Sharknado one has precident for the previous two Sharknado lives.

It's not a big deal or anything, but we do have a suggestion section (you could also make a live suggestion thread in general, though, again, why not just use the suggestion thread).  Putting a question mark in the headline of this would help, but you might want to make it clear it is a suggestion.

Offline JusSonic

• Schnappi Supporter
Re: Hobgoblins?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 01:13:17 AM »
Yeah, good point. I modify the first post to avoid confusion.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:46:43 AM »
This is a classic episode, why reriff it? They should reriff ones that they can improve on, like KTMA and Season 1 episodes.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2171
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
The vibe I've always gotten off of everyone involved was that they really, really regretted letting the director talk them into Hobgoblins. The result is a classic, and it's in my top 10, but I don't think it was fun for them.

While we're on the topic, did anyone else have the same experience as me watching it the first time it aired? During the commercial breaks, they only aired commercials for Forsaken and Kahlua mudslides. Over and over, alternating between the two. Like- 2 or 3 times each per commercial break. Made the movie even more memorably painful for me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
I think they make a joke about those Kahlua ads at one point.

I'm guessing that Sci-fi Channel was still pretty small at that point and didn't have a whole lot of advertisers that were interested in it.

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3653
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 11:48:40 AM »
I love how the one thing puppets generally can do is something those puppets can't at all: actually move their mouths.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
I love how the one thing puppets generally can do is something those puppets can't at all: actually move their mouths.
And their arms.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 02:36:17 PM »
If not, then probably "Hobgoblins 2" (yes folks, there IS a sequel). That sequel deserves to be riffed!

Hobgoblins 2 is just a cash in on the MST3K fame of the first one. There is even references to MST3K in it. Films made bad on purpose do not make good riffs. Pretty Sloane tried to get them to riff it and they passed.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 04:45:38 PM »

Hobgoblins 2 is just a cash in on the MST3K fame of the first one. There is even references to MST3K in it. Films made bad on purpose do not make good riffs. Pretty Sloane tried to get them to riff it and they passed.

Yeah a couple of us here were involved in negotiations for getting an official RiffTrax onto the DVD, but Mike wasn't keen.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2298
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:18 AM »

I realized how desperate the movie was for a riff when the online trailer I saw used a kind-of cover of the "Hobgoblins, Hobgoblins, what do you do with those Hobgoblins..." song.

No reason to riff a movie that's trying to riff itself.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:13:59 AM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing