login

Poll

2006 version, or 2016 version?

2006, Mike solo version
2 (25%)
2016 Mike, Kevin and Bill version
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Okay, so the question has to be asked...  (Read 1386 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Okay, so the question has to be asked...
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
I just started watching the new one, so I'll decide later. Just wondering how other people feel about it.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3661
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Okay, so the question has to be asked...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
I haven't seen it yet but I'm gonna say 3-man version because Mike's solo riff had it's moments but was missing the humor that multiple riffers can bring like MST3K did..

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 453
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »
I've never seen the solo-riff because, for me, solo-riffs don't hit very well. Having at least two people creates more banter and allows for improvised dialogue between to characters to happen or, at least, seem to, seemingly more naturally and with more impact as the two people play off one another.  That said, I think the riff is pretty strong.  The app works fairly good for it too, only there's a long sequence during the opening credits before any real dialogue is heard enough to activate the app's tracking; so I'm sure lots of riffs are missed.

But, I found it pretty funny.  I've not seen this movie in a long time, probably not since it first came out on VHS and my family rented it. so I had forgotten pretty much all of it and the movie is pretty much perfect for a Rifftrax.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »
The solo riff is pretty good. And there's quite a lot of Disemaudio, so there is some banter. But yeah, I think I have to go with the new one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5544
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
I do like the original track. But you just can't beat the benefits of different voices, interaction between riffers, and higher riff density of their modern tracks.

That being said, I wish they would keep one or two riffs from the original, just as an homage. Like the transparent shirt line, or the bit about going hunting with a daisycutter at a watering hole.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »
Pain don't hurt - "Well, by definition, it does."

"I have $100 for anyone who can shatter a beer bottle by throwing it at a chicken wire fence."

Or something like that. Yeah, there were several moments where I missed the original lines.

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 07:28:21 PM »
A Roadhouse Riff just isn't a Roadhouse Riff without the phrase, "Sink-wash my unit."   :)

This Riff was pretty terrific.  I'm glad they did it.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
We already know the answer to this one, but just for the hell of it perhaps the question should be asked: Which do you prefer, the 3-man riff or the Kevin Smith-Scott Mosier commentary??  Remember, Smith does reference Mike's solo commentary during his take on the movie.  Of course, I prefer Rifftrax, but the Smith-Mosier commentary was fun to listen to.

If you don't have the dvd with the Kevin Smith commentary, it's in the $5 bin at WalMart.