Author Topic: What swampy things did you learn?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
What swampy things did you learn?
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:40:50 AM »
I learned that a 40-something Piper Laurie still kind of works for me.

I learned to respect Stuart Whitman a lot more as an actor on the levels of Vincent D'Onofrio given the various characters the play, how well the play them, and without falling into cliches and mannerisms and such to make them stand out as more of themselves than the character.   Each time you see them perform it's hard to see "them" through the performance into a previous one.

I learned that owning a drive-in theater in the middle of a swamp in Florida can be quite a lucrative business.

Was that Abe Vigoda?!

I learned that the decor, styles and gender equality sentiments were a lot more progressive in 1951 than I would have originally thought.  It almost seemed like this movie took place in the '70s!

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
Re: What swampy things did you learn?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »
I learned that the decor, styles and gender equality sentiments were a lot more progressive in 1951 than I would have originally thought.  It almost seemed like this movie took place in the '70s!

It didn't help that they were watching a movie that didn't exist yet in 1951.

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
You should keep a cartoon mallet within reach, just in case of demonic possession. And did you happen to notice what was right next to the mallet? A rolling pin. Should have just used that. It would have made more sense.

Offline fodder650

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
I learned that paranormal studies was a thing in 1951 which was kind of funny.
I learned the producers had access to "Attack of the 50 foot woman". Which starred an actress from several MST3k movies. Which was something I didn't honestly know.
I learned swamps are pretty dry in most parts
I learned that there is one loose woman in a southern town surrounded by a lot of older people.
I learned that the distance from 1920's to 1951 is 15 years since that's the age of the daughter.
I learned Stuart Whitman is the Gene Hackman of B Movies and is just good in anything he is in
Fodder's just this guy, you know.

Offline dbsommer

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
Apparently you can remove someone's eyeballs in advance for when your dead boyfriend comes back for you. Oh yes, and no one wonders why the eyeballless old man has taken to wearing shades 24/7.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »
I learned the true meaning of the phrase "chewing the scenery".

I learned that you can essentially live on alcohol and still scorn someone else as "a drunk".