Author Topic: New VoD: Ruby - Now Available  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
New VoD: Ruby - Now Available
« on: August 19, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »

http://www.rifftrax.com/ruby

Southern desperation, B-movie drive-in theaters, and the vengeance of the angry dead all come together in Ruby, honestly one of the weirdest things we’ve found in a long career of finding weird things.

Ruby is a failed performer hanging on to her glory days, Baby Jane style (hey, whatever happened to her?). She also happened to help some gangsters kill the love of her life in a swamp 16 years ago this very night, but we’re sure that won’t come back to haunt her or anything. Now she and her pal, Stuart Whitman (of Night of the Lepus fame!), run a seedy theater and are sort of just generally professionally seedy, all the time. Everything’s great - well, as great as it can be running a drive-in next to a Florida swamp - until people start dying in spooky, albeit comical ways.

Ruby is played by Piper Laurie, aka Carrie’s mom in Carrie, and she brings that same low-key subtle energy to this—we’re kidding, she shrieks and chews all the scenery and it’s great. The movie’s like somebody wrung out a filthy sponge all over a Tennessee Williams play, then added a heavy splash of The Exorcist.

Oh, and there’s some Norman Bates stuff going on too! Ruby’s got it all, baby! Don’t miss it.

Johnny Unusual

Re: New VoD: Ruby - Now Available
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:38:32 PM »
This sound bonkers.  I might save this one for October.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »
This sounds very familiar. Probably saw it some rainy night on cable years ago. Also, it has Janit Baldwin in it, an actress who was in very few movies but is cute as all get out.
Looking forward to a riff of an offbeat/non action film. It's been a while.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3331
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 12:08:27 AM »
Holy shit. Who was that movie for?
FINE

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1186
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Holy shit. Who was that movie for?

I kinda got the impression that Piper Laurie was playing herself in this movie. Minus the demonic possession thing of course. She was smokin' hot in the 50s.

It's like someone saw Sunset Boulevard and The Exorcist and thought "If I combine these two good movies, I'm sure to get a great movie out of it." Never mind that those two movies have absolutely nothing in common. 

Offline fodder650

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:58:01 PM »
It's a weirdly well made movie. Which is what makes it very watchable. The plot is original if a bit head scratching. Even though you never sit back and say "WTF" at it. Ok maybe right at the end which I won't give away.  It does steal a few things here and there but overall I'd say it's pretty original except for the whole Exorcist thing. Except that even that's only part of it. I think the riff's don't overpower the weirdness here which is great. The final line "We're going to watch something a bit less weird like Twin Peak played backwards and dubbed in Russians" said by Mike really sums this up in a nutshell. I wouldn't call it my favorite but I honestly enjoyed it.
Fodder's just this guy, you know.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 129
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »
I really have a soft spot for this one - it's a Rifftrax that I have played more than once...and it is for a really weird reason. God help me, but I can relate to Piper Laurie's crazy character: she's about as stuck in a 30-years-ago world as I am (keep in mind, the 1980s, for me, were like the '60s very much...I even lived in a commune for 5 years.) The glory of Those Days is something I hide in when the downright scariness of this decade gets me down.

I could imagine the basic plot of this movie remade, with a crazy fifty-something hippie woman who was a local hit in some warehouse psychedelic band and also part of a biker drug gang or something have her boyfriend mistaken for a narc and killed by the rest of the gang. She goes straight in the present, starts working at some tech startup making movie apps for people's various slabs (smart phones, iPads, laptops) and hiring her old gang back to do the more simple chores. Then they start getting offed by getting strangled by Ethernet cables, electrocuted, etc. while Ruby sits around in her old performance space singing Grace Slick-esque tunes badly and hallucinating her dead boyfriend coming after her. No, I'm not going to make the movie, but it's easy to imagine.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot