Author Topic: Question about iRiffs  (Read 833 times)

Offline Ooccoo Jr

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Question about iRiffs
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:06:51 AM »
From coming on here I can see that you can no longer submit iRiffs officially on the website. However, I have heard that some people are releasing them elsewhere. What is the best place to do this? Is there somewhere with a built-in community already? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Question about iRiffs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
A lot of us are releasing through gumroad. It doesn't have much to offer in way of community, you can pretty much just set up your store and direct people there through other means (here, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) You do get a larger percentage of the sale price compared to Rifftrax, but not having the built-in audience does make it harder to get noticed. It is nice to be able to set up your own coupon codes and do pre-sales though. Here's my store, so you can get an idea what you can do. https://gumroad.com/RoninFoxTrax

You can also help promote yourself by building a presence on the riffwiki.

http://rifftrax.wikia.com/wiki/RiffTrax_Wiki
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Ooccoo Jr

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Thanks RoninFox!
Another question, while I've got your attention: how do you make it so that your customers can sync up the track with the movies? I know there is an app for the official RiffTrax commentaries.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »
The app is a new development, for the classic Rifftrax method that most iRiffers use you have to include instructions at the start of your audio file.  You record a brief introduction that gives steps like this:

"In a moment I'll tell you to pause this track and start your copy of the film. As soon as (give a cue, usually something like "when the Paramount logo fades completely to black") then press play again."

Most iRiffers also use a sync voice, similar to Rifftrax's Disembaudio, to help listeners keep things in sync. This is mentioned in introductions too that "now and then he/she/it will say something at the same moment as a character on screen, that way if you are out of sync you can pause the movie or the track for a moment to set it right."

If you buy any MP3 Rifftrax and listen to it without the app, you'll hear what I mean.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1460
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »
A lot of us are releasing through gumroad. It doesn't have much to offer in way of community, you can pretty much just set up your store and direct people there through other means (here, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) You do get a larger percentage of the sale price compared to Rifftrax, but not having the built-in audience does make it harder to get noticed. It is nice to be able to set up your own coupon codes and do pre-sales though. Here's my store, so you can get an idea what you can do. https://gumroad.com/RoninFoxTrax

You can also help promote yourself by building a presence on the riffwiki.

http://rifftrax.wikia.com/wiki/RiffTrax_Wiki

I also recommend Gumroad & setting things up on Riff Wiki.  Gumroad is very user friendly like Ronin said.  You just don't get the "oh hey I'll check this out" like you did with the Rifftrax site.  However that's still where I'd say to get set up. (Link to my page on there is in my signature)

We tried out the Bandcamp route, but they don't work well for VOD and for MP3 riffs they allow for streaming the entire thing without paying anything. (We got around it by having the full riff as a "bonus" track & having half of the riff as the item available for preview.)  Overall not a great way to get your iRiffs out there.

I also recommend posting in places like the "What I'm working on" thread on here & keeping an eye out for any script submissions people are looking for.  I've found working with other people on riffs is beneficial for helping expand your audience as well as helping you figure out what works for you as you hone your own style.  (It's also fun to riff with others.  For example our G.I. Joe & Conan riffs still make me laugh.)

Offline FbxCycler

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
I'm looking around the Gumroad site.  I also looked at the stores linked on this thread. I'm definitely interested in putting stuff up on that site, but I have a couple questions about it, after I explain my situation.

I found the iRiffs site about four years ago or so and got a friend interested in recording iRiffs.  We started with a feature-length iRiff of "Independence Day" (the Extended Edition version) and after we finished that, we started recording iRiffs for the public domain stuff that is on the Perlinger Archives.

We've accumulated a few of those, and by the time we were ready to start selling them, the iRiffs site went into hiatus.  That was two years ago and it is looking like they won't be bringing it back up anytime soon.

So, since me and my friend want to split the proceeds from our sales 50/50, is there a way to do so on the Gumroad site?

That is, do we have to set up separate accounts for each of us or can we have just one account and have Gumroads cut checks for both of us?

The way the iRiffs site was set up before it went down was that we could basically do exactly what I just outlined in the sentence above.

If we can do that with the Gumroads platform, then I want to do that.

And of course we'd sell our stuff on the iRiffs site, if it ever comes back.  But in the meantime, I want to start selling our stuff sooner rather than later.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 05:25:30 AM »
I wasn't aware iRiffs could cut a check to two parties for sales on one account. I don't think Gumroad is set up the same way. I think you will have to assign one of you to receive the direct deposits for your sales and then send half to the other.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1460
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
I wasn't aware iRiffs could cut a check to two parties for sales on one account. I don't think Gumroad is set up the same way. I think you will have to assign one of you to receive the direct deposits for your sales and then send half to the other.

We get checks from iRiffs?  :D