Author Topic: SOLO: A Star Wars Story (2018)  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3321
  • All joking a salad.
Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story (2018)
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »
What sucks is I think they were leaving some space at the end for a Solo 2 or Lando movie. There are some loose ends, now.

I assume it's going to be the plot of the Boba Fett movie
I don't really want a Solo 2. But if Solo, Fett, and Lando (I assume that is what they will be called) are a trilogy with a through storyline, but concentrating on a different central character for each that would be a unique way to do it.
That being said, I don't have any interest in what they were setting up in Solo. Because despite spending a lot of the movie with Kira she still feels like she has no character.

Yeah, maybe not Qi'Ra, but the underbelly of the empire could be interesting.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:50 AM »
I just really want to see what the Phil Lord and Christopher Miller version was like.

So would I, and I bet it would give a lot of insight as to why they were fired.  I've heard two explanations:

1. Their process was incompatible with Disney's, especially with regards to throughput/schedule.  Specifically, they would film dozens of takes with a fraction of the camera angles Disney wanted, making production lengthier and post-production harder.  Howard had the experience to meet Disney's requirements in one or two takes.

In this case, the Lord and Miller cut would suffer from crippled cinematography, or be far from finished.

2. Their film was too comedy-oriented, beyond the usual sprinkled attempts to clumsily ape Marvel's humor and banter you see in other SW films.  If they poked fun at some of the political themes that KK and the writers intended to be taken very seriously, then that wouldn't have gone over well.  Specifically, there's a fan theory that L3 wasn't supposed to be such an over-the-top, obnoxious cartoon whose rantings the other characters mostly ignore or disregard.  The L3 that comes across as a parody of rabid activists is probably the work of Lord and Miller (or even Howard), not KK or the writers.

In this case, the Lord and Miller cut would probably be a riot.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
TLJ/BvS-sized second weekend drop:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=&yr=2018&wknd=22&p=.htm

If there's any good word of mouth, it's not amounting to much.  I take it back; the long wait is probably a really good thing (a good opportunity, at least).

Offline Kenneth Morgan

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
Saw "Solo" for the second time today, and I still enjoyed it a lot.  Just a fast-paced adventure story with Han, Chewie & Lando, and it's just what I needed now.  I'm hoping they'll go with a Lando movie, and I wouldn't turn down another Solo movie.

One prediction: when Rifftrax does their version of "Solo", and they get to the scene of Han stopping Chewie from attacking by speaking to him in Wookie, I can just hear Mike saying, "MARTHA?  HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT NAME!?"
-30-

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6604
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2018, 07:41:29 PM »
super confused about the timeline.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7849
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:48 PM »
Timeline is 10 years before Star Wars.  Darth Maul didn't die in Episode 1. Note his mechanical legs; he was resurrected in the clone wars TV series.

Also not "Darth" anymore, presumably.

Loved the movie. Tied with Rogue One for my 2nd favorite in the franchise.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 186
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
So Im... you actually loved Solo? Hmmm... interesting.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
Yup. Fucking great movie. Fun, good world-building, didn't make me feel like shit at the end or ruin long-established characters to make some kind of a point. Good music too.

Win-win-win.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3321
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2018, 08:45:43 PM »
Yup. Fucking great movie. Fun, good world-building, didn't make me feel like shit at the end or ruin long-established characters to make some kind of a point. Good music too.

Win-win-win.

So is it worth having the "bad" movies made in order to get the "good" ones?

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 186
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2018, 10:39:43 AM »
I just saw it again yesterday with a good friend of mine and I was really pleased with the film as a whole. I'm not sure I like it as much as TLJ, but Solo is still really good.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »

Win-win-win.

Hmm. Tough question. Probably not, on the whole.

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:22 PM »

Win-win-win.

Hmm. Tough question. Probably not, on the whole.

Thinking about it--I'd absolutely trade the good movies to get rid of the shitty endings they did for Luke and Han.