login

Author Topic: SOLO: A Star Wars Story (2018)  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story (2018)
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2018, 06:41:08 AM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »
That is kind of sad. I'll definitely be seeing it again though.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
Box Office: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Struggling to Hit $115M in U.S., Crashes Overseas
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-numbers-struggle-1114854

$47,031,000
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm

ouch
I wonder if this is Star Wars fatigue in general, or a consequence of the mixed reception to The Last Jedi.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
I think it's Blockbuster fatigue. I LIVE for Star Wars and even I had trouble getting my excitement up after just having seen Black Panther, Avengers 3 and Deadpool 2.

Loved it, though. There's a lot to process and I'll have to see it a few times before I can rank it, but it was good Star Wars.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2018, 03:52:58 PM »
Here's my ranking of everything so far(although admittedly being only my own personal list you may have lots to disagree on...):
1. The Empire strikes back
2. The Force Awakens
3. A New Hope
4. The Last Jedi
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Solo
7. Rogue One
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. Attack of the clones
10. Phantom Menace
11. The Holiday Special

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5137
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2018, 05:36:35 PM »
Wow, the Caravan of Courage didn't even place.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2018, 09:38:54 PM »
Wow, the Caravan of Courage didn't even place.
Well to be fair I've never seen Caravan of Courage or Battle for Endor.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:28 AM »
I wonder if this is Star Wars fatigue in general, or a consequence of the mixed reception to The Last Jedi.

It's mostly Last Jedi . . . there's no getting around it.  Hmm, I wonder why Disney would somehow exhibit zero signs of "Star Wars fatigue" until their third SW movie's second weekend.  Had Solo been arbitrarily made first and released in Rogue One's place, I believe it would have done fine.

There's no "blockbuster fatigue" either; I would show up for a average/good (and maybe an occasional great) Star Wars movie every year, just like everyone shows up for two or three (or more) good Marvel flicks a year.

It's as bankrupt an argument as using "superhero fatigue" to excuse the DCEU, when the real problem is that Warner Bros' impatient greed causes the copycat team-up tentpole "payoff" films to greatly outnumber the standalone origin "setup" films, when it should be the other way around (as in the MCU, obviously).

I'll say it again because it remains true: every single SW box office number, both domestic and foreign, since TLJ's opening weekend (i.e. since it was actually seen by audiences) has ranged from lousy to abysmal (the best you can do is spin a couple of them as "underperforming").  Now we see the high cost of deliberately antagonizing the core fanbase, openly going out of your way to hold the OT in contempt, prioritizing a political agenda over the quality of the story and characters, and wasting the rare and now lost opportunity to reunite the OT cast to properly say goodbye, all of which severely damage the brand as a whole.

The shock of Last Jedi was enough to cause many hardcore fans to simply give up and stay home, or at least "wait and see" . . . i.e. stay home opening weekend to check out reviews.  And by "reviews" I mean the kind that would have spared them from TLJ: word of mouth from trusted individual youtubers or aggregated users, not the damned critics. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:23:26 AM by kunedog »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
I think the concept was a hard sell to begin with. I don't think the shock of the last one only being the 11th most successful movie in history was quite enough to ward fans off of the concept of Star Wars entirely. The concept of someone besides Ford in Solo's shoes was probably what did it here.

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »
That's a good point; like I said, I disassociated this film's Han and Lando from the real deal, and otherwise I would have thought less of it (and the reviewer who convinced me to go see it is a Norwegian with zero nostalgia for Star Wars).  It does seem like a problem that should have been obvious to Disney from the conception phase, though.

Episode IX's take will make things clearer I suppose.  That's gonna be a long wait with a bad taste in lots of fans' mouths.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:07:31 PM by kunedog »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
Rumors have been flying around for months that Solo would suck. That is the number one reason for the slump.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
What sucks is I think they were leaving some space at the end for a Solo 2 or Lando movie. There are some loose ends, now.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »
I just really want to see what the Phil Lord and Christopher Miller version was like.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »
What sucks is I think they were leaving some space at the end for a Solo 2 or Lando movie. There are some loose ends, now.

I assume it's going to be the plot of the Boba Fett movie

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »

I assume it's going to be the plot of the Boba Fett movie
I don't really want a Solo 2. But if Solo, Fett, and Lando (I assume that is what they will be called) are a trilogy with a through storyline, but concentrating on a different central character for each that would be a unique way to do it.
That being said, I don't have any interest in what they were setting up in Solo. Because despite spending a lot of the movie with Kira she still feels like she has no character.