Author Topic: Best Blu Ray software for HD VODs (hopefully free)?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline someonetookmyname

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Best Blu Ray software for HD VODs (hopefully free)?
« on: July 29, 2016, 11:07:02 PM »
This is more or less in the same vein as my other post in this board.  Still trying to put Rifftrax Live: Miami Connection on a Blu Ray, but I am now having a difficult time finding the proper software to put the 11.5 GB mp4 onto the BD-R that I now have.  I've heard good things about DVDfab Blu Ray Creator, but I don't have the $40 to shell out for it.

So, does anyone here know of some good free or cheap software that'll do the trick?  Or do I have to swallow the $40 price tag?  Again, thanks in advance for any advice :-)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Best Blu Ray software for HD VODs (hopefully free)?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:18 AM »
multiAVCHD is a free program that will take just about any video file and make DVD or Blu-Ray disks:

http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/

It is a complex program, not easy to set up in order to get the output you want, but it's free...

This is a more simple free program, I've used it to convert mkv files to Blu-ray but haven't tried it for mp4s:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »
You are the awesomest, Gromit :-D  I'll try both!  I'll probably go for the latter first, since I'm not too technically inclined, lol.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
Hmm...I'm getting an error when trying to use tsMuxeR to turn the file into a Blu Ray .iso :-/  It says something about AAC not being the standard codec.  Am I doing something wrong?

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
That's weird, since AAC is SUPPOSED to be the standard audio format to replace mp3.  Could be a missing or bad codec.  I'm not too familiar with most authoring software outside of Premiere (and have had mega issues with most freeware; nothing likes anything I encode at, for some reason), but do a test in a different audio format and see if that fixes it.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
I never saw that error when doing my MKV files, so maybe it doesn't like the audio format of the mp4s.

I'll test it out tonight with one of the live show mp4s and see how it goes, I've got a couple BD-RE disks I use for testing this kind of thing, BD-Rs are still a little too expensive to throw away on testing.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
You're a life saver, buddy :-D  I'll keep checking back here.  Thanks so, so much!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:48:29 PM »
I used the Ice Cream Bunny live show as a test, the 12GB HD .mp4 file.

Got the same error about AAC, but it made the blu-ray ISO file just fine and the disk I made plays normally on my player. 

So it seems you can ignore that error message.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
I used the Ice Cream Bunny live show as a test, the 12GB HD .mp4 file.

Got the same error about AAC, but it made the blu-ray ISO file just fine and the disk I made plays normally on my player. 

So it seems you can ignore that error message.

YAY!!!   :clap: :highfive: ;D ;D ;D ;D (Sorry, I love these emojis).  I had a feeling about that, but as you alluded: BD-Rs are way too expensive to test on a feeling, lol...

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
Sorry, one more thing: is it now just a matter of dragging the .iso file to the disc, or something more complicated?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 01:00:18 PM »
What OS are you using?

An ISO file is an image of a disk, like a zip file, but it has the file structure of the disk.

You need a program or built in part of the OS that can burn a disk using an image file.

Did you get a bare drive?  Most drives come with basic software to make copies and use images.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »
What OS are you using?

An ISO file is an image of a disk, like a zip file, but it has the file structure of the disk.

You need a program or built in part of the OS that can burn a disk using an image file.

Did you get a bare drive?  Most drives come with basic software to make copies and use images.

I'm using Windows 10, and I got a Buffalo external burner from Dell.  It came with some software, but none of it seems to be Blu Ray-related, just DVD and such.  Pretty stupid, considering that it's a Blu Ray burner, I know :-/

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
Windows 10 has built in support for image files, but I don't know if they work with blu-rays, if you single click on the iso is there a "disk image tools" tab that appears?  If so clicking on it will give you a "burn" option.

If the tab doesn't appear .iso may have been associated with another program so you have to associate it back to explorer by right clicking on the file, open properties, click "change" next to where it says "opens with".

I've got win10 pro, so I'm not sure if iso support is in the other versions, hopefully it is.

If not you'll need software.  I use Nero but that is pricey for new customers.  I've used imgburn in the past on work PCs but that is now so loaded with adware I can't recommend it anymore.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Windows 10 has built in support for image files, but I don't know if they work with blu-rays, if you single click on the iso is there a "disk image tools" tab that appears?  If so clicking on it will give you a "burn" option.

If the tab doesn't appear .iso may have been associated with another program so you have to associate it back to explorer by right clicking on the file, open properties, click "change" next to where it says "opens with".

I do believe that was exactly the problem.  I had to re-associate it with explorer.  Thanks again, and wish me luck!

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 09:31:13 AM »
Well, crap  :(  I tried it, and I'm left with a disc that will not play on either my PC or my PS3.  I'm afraid that maybe I did something wrong with tsMuxeR, or missed a step or something.  I dunno.  Should I just buy something easy to use, or is there a step-by-step guide for a tech lightweight like me?