login

Author Topic: Program to rip 3D Blu-rays to 2D?  (Read 439 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5033
Program to rip 3D Blu-rays to 2D?
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
I don't know if this is possible (I sorta' doubt it), but are there any reliable programs out there that could rip a 3D disc to 2D digital files?

There's a major limitation that I can see: there are no - to my knowledge - 3D computer Blu-ray drives, so it would have to read the disc with a 2D drive.  I don't even know if that is possible.

But I am thinking ahead.  Sooner or later the 3D players or TV will give out.  Since the industry has discontinued manufacturing all such hardware, that would make 3D discs unviewable.  For most discs, that's no big deal, because most are the same as the also-included 2D discs.  But EVERY Marvel film that has had IMAX footage (with the exception of 'Infinity War', we'll see on 'Endgame') has ONLY released the IMAX film ratio on the 3D disc.  I would VERY much like to be able to watch that anytime I wished, endlessly into the future.  [For some I'd also like to use the 3D-to-2D in the digital-file-to-still-image program I have.  That way I could make full WS wallpapers of them to circle through, rather than the far skinnier wallpapers I'm able to make from the official digital files.]

Thank you!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4842
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Program to rip 3D Blu-rays to 2D?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:15:59 AM »
This is what I did using MakeMKV and saving them to my Terabyte hard drives..
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=32372.msg1008710#msg1008710\
If you're looking for a burner, here's a newer listing of what I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-LG-WH16NS40-Blu-ray-drive-firmware-1-02-4K-Ultra-HD-UHD-Friendly/223555379265?epid=23027052762&hash=item340cf06041:g:qg8AAOSw4UlbtUJJ
This has worked on my 4K discs..
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:45:05 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3052
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Program to rip 3D Blu-rays to 2D?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 08:12:31 AM »

There's a major limitation that I can see: there are no - to my knowledge - 3D computer Blu-ray drives, so it would have to read the disc with a 2D drive.  I don't even know if that is possible.

No such thing as a 3D drive, if you put a 3D disc in a bd drive in a PC you can access the files.  There is nothing special about the discs or the file structure, only difference is the video files contain the extra frames for the right and left eye.

Doing a search finds a bunch of programs that will do the conversion, grabbing only the right or left frames and spitting out an MKV that is 2D.  I haven't used any of them so can't give any suggestions as to the one that would be best.

The other option is to rip the 3D movie intact, and play the 3D file using VLC and chose the Anaglyph option, than watch the movie with red/blue or red/green glasses.

You are supposed to be able to watch 3D movies in VR, some time this summer I'll probably be getting a VR setup so will try it out to see how that goes. 

I am surprised that no company has started making a box to allow people to watch their 3D movies on 4K TVs, it would be quite simple, just needing a little box with a transmitter that looks at the video stream and signals the glasses when to switch eyes.  I think all 4K players and TVs have the bandwidth and refresh rate needed to play the images, all that is needed is the signal output for the glasses.  Nvidia has (had?) this type of hardware for PCs, but the hardware requirements are so narrow that hardly anyone can take advantage of it so I think they may have stopped making it.