Author Topic: MST3K at San Diego Comic-Con 2016  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Toplar Scarre

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 13
MST3K at San Diego Comic-Con 2016
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:31:21 AM »
If you're heading to the Comic-Con this year, some of the cast and crew from the new season of MST3K will be there.

The following is a list of MST3K events at the Comic-Con and will take place on Saturday, July 23

12:00 PM to 3:00 PM -- Photo opportunity with Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot from Mystery Science Theater 3000 (Shout Factory booth) 

4:00 PM to 4:30 PM -- MST3K Event at Camp Conival presented by Nerdist and Geek & Sundry. Join Nerdist and Geek & Sundry for Camp Conival: a trip back in time to classic pop culture summer camp! Swing by the Conival Main Stage on the second concourse at Petco Park for a special Q&A with Joel Hodgson, Felicia Day, Jonah Ray, Baron Vaughn, and Hampton Yount. Camp Conival does not require an event badge and is open to the public.

5:15 PM to 6:15 PM -- Signing with the cast of next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000! Series creator Joel Hodgson, Jonah Ray and Felicia Day will be in attendance (Shout Factory booth)

8:30 PM -- Mystery Science Theater 3000 is Back! Panel in Room 24ABC

Calling all MSTies! In the not too distant future--Saturday, July 23rd at 8:30 pm in Room 24ABC, to be precise--for the panel Mystery Science Theater 3000 is Back! As the excitement mounts for the upcoming new episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000, join Joel Hodgson (creator, MST3K), Felicia Day (Geek & Sundry) and others discuss the show’s record-breaking crowdfunding campaign, and reveal behind-the-scenes info on Season 11!

Toplar Scarre is a proud backer of the 2017 RiffTrax Live! Kickstarter campaign.

The Toplar Scarre RiffTrax collection count: 385 Riffs and growing.

http://eerielatenight.com: for the best horror hosts, classic B horror films and live chat with horror hosts and horror movie fans.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: MST3K at San Diego Comic-Con 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »
It's official - MST3K season 11 is heading to Netflix! This is GREAT news.
FINE

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 172
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:34:34 AM »
I'm both excited and disappointed that MST3K is moving to Netflix. Let me explain:

I'm excited because Mystery Science Theater 3000 finally has a new home, and let's face it: TV is dead. The future (and the present, for that matter) is internet streaming platforms. Given that scenario, I'm really happy that MST3K has found a home on the biggest internet streaming platform there is.

However, I'm disappointed because I stopped using Netflix once it went to a streaming model. I couldn't rewind. I couldn't pause and watch later. Everything I loved about VHS cassettes, DVDs and computer files were absent in Netflix's streams. I can only hope that DRM-free seasons are offered after the kickstarted season (Edit: To clarify, I mean I hope the seasons after 11, which was kickstarted, are DRM-free. That is, I hope season 12 and beyond are sold DRM-free). Otherwise, I may be forced to come crawling back to Netflix just to watch a show that once promised to "keep circulating the tapes". I really hope I'm wrong and there will eventually be DRM-free downloads like I said. I will have to await some new details so in the meantime, I'm cautiously optimistic.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 07:20:49 AM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:58:02 AM »
I think the plan is to release episodes for purchase close to when the episodes are released.  And unlike the licencing nightmare that was the first 10 seasons, it sounds like the dealings for movies was very thorough (knock on wood, because who knows when some jerk is going to change their mind) thanks to Shout Factory.  This includes international stuff.  So a season package isn't out of the question like it was before.

Personally, I never had trouble with rewinding or pausing on Netflix, unless my internet was screwy.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 06:22:11 AM »
I'm both excited and disappointed that MST3K is moving to Netflix. Let me explain:

I'm excited because Mystery Science Theater 3000 finally has a new home, and let's face it: TV is dead. The future (and the present, for that matter) is internet streaming platforms. Given that scenario, I'm really happy that MST3K has found a home on the biggest internet streaming platform there is.

However, I'm disappointed because I stopped using Netflix once it went to a streaming model. I couldn't rewind. I couldn't pause and watch later. Everything I loved about VHS cassettes, DVDs and computer files were absent in Netflix's streams. I can only hope that DRM-free seasons are offered after the kickstarted season. Otherwise, I may be forced to come crawling back to Netflix just to watch a show that once promised to "keep circulating the tapes". I really hope I'm wrong and there will eventually be DRM-free downloads like I said. I will have to await some new details so in the meantime, I'm cautiously optimistic.

That's part of the reason I went with the full season box set option on the Kickstarter.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 06:41:24 AM »
However, I'm disappointed because I stopped using Netflix once it went to a streaming model. I couldn't rewind. I couldn't pause and watch later.

You can rewind, pause and watch later at least I have always been able to.

I can only hope that DRM-free seasons are offered after the kickstarted season.

Did you back the show on Kickstarter?  DRM free downloads were rewards from $85 and up.

Otherwise, I may be forced to come crawling back to Netflix just to watch a show that once promised to "keep circulating the tapes".

How is it any different than paying for cable to watch the shows when they aired?

How many times do they have to explain "Keep Circulating The Tapes" and what its purpose was and how there are more episodes that don't feature that line than do?

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:04:21 AM »
You can rewind, pause and watch later at least I have always been able to.

O RLY? Well, I left years ago so maybe Netflix has changed and improved so it's possible I'm wrong (or I was right but am wrong).

Did you back the show on Kickstarter?  DRM free downloads were rewards from $85 and up.

Yes I did. I'm not talking about Season 11, which I backed on Kickstarter. I paid for that and will receive DRM-free downloads (for the record, I backed the $100 tier). I mean Season 12 and beyond. I just hope there will be drm-free downloads of those episodes as with Season 11. That's what I mean.

How is it any different than paying for cable to watch the shows when they aired?

With Cable you get a whole package of channels and a DVR. While my concerns about Netflix were addressed above, it's just that online video content is more fractured. It's not just Netflix. We also have Amazon and Hulu.

How many times do they have to explain "Keep Circulating The Tapes" and what its purpose was and how there are more episodes that don't feature that line than do?

I believe that "Keep Circulating the Tapes" was just to garner interest in the show, am I right? I know it definitely doesn't apply to Rifftrax.

All of that being said, I'll consider coming back to Netflix. Especially since MST3K is coming back. It's just that I live in New York City and I'm on the train a lot which doesn't have any connection to the internet thereon so downloads (especially DRM-free ones) are my preferred choice of format. I realize the world is changing so I'll see what I can do.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 07:56:40 AM »
You can absolutely rewind, pause and come back from where you left off. That's one of my favourite things about it, I can watch a serious documentary and then take a break with Archer or something but come back to the second I left the doc.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »
So do we know when they will start filming?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
You can absolutely rewind, pause and come back from where you left off. That's one of my favourite things about it, I can watch a serious documentary and then take a break with Archer or something but come back to the second I left the doc.

Like I said, considering all the testimony to the contrary, my complaints that you couldn't rewind or save your streams in Netflix for later are probably extremely dated at this moment. As I said, it's been a decade since I left Netflix.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »

Like I said, considering all the testimony to the contrary, my complaints that you couldn't rewind or save your streams in Netflix for later are probably extremely dated at this moment. As I said, it's been a decade since I left Netflix.
Oh, that would explain it. Yeah, definitely give it another try.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Yes I did. I'm not talking about Season 11, which I backed on Kickstarter. I paid for that and will receive DRM-free downloads (for the record, I backed the $100 tier). I mean Season 12 and beyond. I just hope there will be drm-free downloads of those episodes as with Season 11. That's what I mean.

Time will tell.  Maybe with new episodes there will be enough interest for Netflix to fund another season.  MST fans are few but LOUD. Hopefully with the new episodes they can get their friends who have no clue about the show to watch as well.

Hopefully NETFLIX will allow them to sell the shows where they want. Itunes and Amazon (the big guns) make everything DRM.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
Depending on what they license it could be VERY cheap to make, do you think someone with the rights to the kind of movies MST did won't jump at the chance to get their names on Netflix in front of people's eyes? I'm pretty confident about a second season now  :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »
Depending on what they license it could be VERY cheap to make, do you think someone with the rights to the kind of movies MST did won't jump at the chance to get their names on Netflix in front of people's eyes? I'm pretty confident about a second season now  :)

I am sure it would probably be the cheapest series that they have. I don't think that rights holders would go cheap to have it featured on MST3K. I would think they would have $$$ in their eyes and be wanting that big Netflix money. 

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
Look around for a decent length free trial and give Netflix another shot - I'll bet you'll find it much better :)
FINE